Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Underground Safety

Do you feel safe on London underground platforms?

• Yes

• No

• Sort of

Results are only viewable after voting.
OK, I'll play along (even though it's a complete waste of time - was it you who, last time this came up, pretended to have someone who "worked for TfL" sitting "right next" to you, who mysteriously disappeared when I asked this question?)

Er, no. :confused: I can't recall having engaged with you before and I don't know anyone who works for TfL.

Why do the surface level stations on the extension not have screens if their purpose to stop people getting onto the tracks?

They serve a dual purpose. To airlock the track side at underground stations in the event of a fire in the tube and an emergency purge of the smoke and fumes being activated; and to prevent people falling or jumping onto the tracks.

On overground stations there is no emergency air evacuation system so the platforms don't have screens. People can jump onto the tracks at those ones!

How's that?

Er, no. :confused: I can't recall having engaged with you before.

They serve a dual purpose. To airlock the track side at underground stations in the event of a fire in the tube and an emergency purge of the smoke and fumes being activated; and to prevent people falling or jumping onto the tracks.

On overground stations there is no emergency air evacuation system so the platforms don't have screens. People can jump onto the tracks at those ones!

How's that?
How's that? Crap.

This is going round in circles. If they're to stop people getting on the tracks then why not install them at all the stations? The answer is...as I've said all along (and comes from people who know what they're talking about) because that that is not what they're for. How does your answer dispute that? It doesn't. It backs up what I've been saying: the doors are for airflow, and are therefore not needed at surface stations, ergo they not to stop people getting onto the tracks. Simples!

How's that? Crap.

This is going round in circles. If they're to stop people getting on the tracks then why not install them at all the stations? The answer is...as I've said all along (and comes from people who know what they're talking about) because that that is not what they're for. How does your answer dispute that? It doesn't. It backs up what I've been saying: the doors are for airflow, and are therefore not needed at surface stations, ergo they not to stop people getting onto the tracks. Simples!

The Jubilee lineextension project saw platform edge doors installed on its new stations. They were designed primarily to reduce the movement of air caused by emergency ventilation fans which activate in event of a fire, or under test conditions. They were also built as a barrier to prevent people falling or jumping onto the tracks. The Jubilee line PEDs were produced by Westinghouse.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platform_edge_doors#United_Kingdom

So shut up you irritating twat.

Because of fucking budgets. This isn't difficult.
"Budgets"? You're desperate. So.....they're spending billions of pounds digging miles of new tunnels, massive new stations, yet somehow they've only got the funds to install screens (which probably amount to a fraction of the budget for each station) at a few stations. Of course........

I'm wasting my time here with you people........

I wonder how well automated barriers would function when exposed permanently to the elements and whether they'd be conducive to the continued smooth operation of a metro serving a busy metropolis.

One unders are a fact of fucking life. They just don't want the twats who work at Canary Wharf having to see it.

I thought he might be a troll but then noted he also posts on rail simulator forums, using the same moniker and same avatar no less.

If anyone's being trolled here it's me......at has always the case here when ever I enter a transport thread...and has been ever since I didn't toe the "all private rail companies are bad, the rail system is designed screw everyone, but everything would be perfect if they brought back BR" line that permeates this forum. It truly is pathetic.

Edit: Oh, and I'm done with wasting my time with this thread.

It's Bungle. This always happens. The rest of the world is wrong, only he has the truth. There can only ever be one reason for something, nuance and complexity doesn't happen. There are no cost-benefit analyses that can be tipped one way or the other by multiple factors, there is only The Reason, which is The Truth.

The new underground Crossrail stations will be fitted with the platform edge doors, although in this case they're going to be full height...

crossrail_station_model-c100_1151.jpg

crossrail_station_model-c1004.jpg

We've installed all the rebar in the tunnel crowns, leaving a handy gap for them to bolt these things into the lining when the station fit out starts. Not sure I want to get involved in Bunglegate, but the new CRL platforms are going to be pretty damn large, allowing room for these installations and still suitable room for passengers, but also preventing track falls and thus delays.

Without serious investment, i'm not sure you could go back through the old lines and retrofit PED to more than a few of the stations, there's so much infrastructure around the stations these days that enlarging them as they have done previously isn't really an option and with the restrictive size of the tunnels, installing PED would just make the platforms even more crowded and claustrophobic, although slightly safer!

Last edited:
Taipei reckons it's worth having platfrom screen doors at surface metro stations.

800px-TaipeiMetro-PlatformStaff.JPG

The cost is more or less the same, but the benefit is less (ie. they're only for safety and passenger flow, not ventilation). Obviously in Taipei, the cost/benefit ratio was judged by different standards.

EDIT: Singapore, too:

mot_Pix2.jpg

It's Bungle. This always happens. The rest of the world is wrong, only he has the truth. There can only ever be one reason for something, nuance and complexity doesn't happen. There are no cost-benefit analyses that can be tipped one way or the other by multiple factors, there is only The Reason, which is The Truth.
Tell me how I'm "wrong"? No one has shown me to be wrong because they have failed to provide an acceptable answer to the question I asked.

It doesn't even come from me................

Last edited:
You really are as thick as shit aren't you?

Yes. It's me, not you!

He didn't mention anything about the stations in question.............

And of course there couldn't possibly be any similarity between the intended function of screens at Crossrail underground stations and those on other lines. Oh no.

Are you always like this?

Last edited:
Bungle - Jupiter is made of jelly.

Everyone else - no it isn't

Bungle - that isn't an adequate answer so therefore I'm right

It really is unacceptable how I'm always ganged up on when ever I enter a transport thread. What truly pathetic and juvenile behaviour. Apparently this is all "my fault", even though I've done zero wrong in this thread, and nothing to do with internet bullying.

Apparently, I'm "wrong" even though the information doesn't come from me, and apparently I should be ashamed for asking the pretty obvious question of why, if the screens are there to stop people getting onto tracks, then why aren't there at all the stations. Apparently, that doesn't need an answer because the "the world" (2 people in an Urban75 thread) say it doesn't.................................

if the screens are there to stop people getting onto tracks, then why aren't there at all the stations
One of the buildings where I work has a revolving door to minimise the transfer of cold/hot air when people enter or leave. This is true, even though all the other buildings don't have one.

Back
Top Bottom