Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Underground Safety

Do you feel safe on London underground platforms?

• Yes

• No

• Sort of

Results are only viewable after voting.

Maximillion

The platform edge doors that are found on central Jubilee line stations prevent many accidents. TfL have planned to introduce more of these, however, most stations would not be able to have platform edge doors fitted because the stations aren't straight/there's no level access. Does anyone know any more info on this? Or have a strong opinion on whether TfL should be spending a lot of money on this?

With new build, refurb stations with straight platforms it seems like a no brainer to me.

I don't know how it could be engineered on the old school bendy platforms or what the cost would be but I'm all in favour of making safer platforms. Especially when they get packed out, or drunk people are wobbling around. Also that video of a baby buggy getting blown backwards by the tunnel winds towards the tracks freaked me out.

I used to, now I always stand with my back against the wall as a train is coming in. I don't know why, I just got a bit fearful, maybe because I don't live in London anymore so I'm not used to it.

I love the Jubilee line with those doors though. It's like being in the future.

Best thing is that you know where the doors are going to be so people can queue in a civilised fashion.

They really need the system on the Waterloo and City line. Those platforms are completely rammed for two solid hours every morning. It just seems crazy.

That's not what the screens are for - they're for airflow reasons. No doubt someone will come along to dispute this later, but it's a fact. This is pretty evident by the fact that not all the Jubilee line stations have them.

Reactions: Chz
Anyway, as far as installing them on existing stations goes, apart from the issues stated above, you have the problem of stopping trains in exactly the same place every time, which unless they are fully automatic is pretty difficult to achieve.

Also, considering their effect on airflow I don't know whether they would have a detrimental effect on stations not designed and built to have them.

Last edited:
When passanger numbers are considered I don't think that platforms are unsafe really.

Cost to retrofit would be huge so I'm sure that in most cases the money would be better spent elsewhere.

When passanger numbers are considered I don't think that platforms are unsafe really.

Cost to retrofit would be huge so I'm sure that in most cases the money would be better spent elsewhere.

We seem to have found £125 billion {if it actually gets delivered on spec, on time and on budget} to rent the UK's new Maginot line Trident of the americans for the next 30 years. So surely we can finf £125 billion to spend on {insert favorite of choice} things like upgrading London's Underground Railway so its is fit for use in 21st century including platform edge screens and doors, and can make a real effort to deal with rush hour loadings I know what I would spent £125 billion on clue the americans wont be receiving any rental for their Trident penis extension

Last edited:
If you want somewhere really lethal on the Underground its long overdue time that the island platforms at Clapham North and Clapham Common were replaced with separate North/South platforms, I mean they did replace the island platform at Angel back in the 90,s

Anyway, as far as installing them on existing stations goes, apart from the issues stated above, you have the problem of stopping trains in exactly the same place every time, which unless they are fully automatic is pretty difficult to achieve.

Also, considering their effect on airflow I don't know whether they would have a detrimental effect on stations not designed and built to have them.

The "airflow" is to ventilate the shafts in an emergency (fire in the tube) and channel the smoke. But they have a dual purpose. That, and to stop people falling/jumping onto the track.

The "airflow" is to ventilate the shafts in an emergency (fire in the tube) and channel the smoke. But they have a dual purpose. That, and to stop people falling/jumping onto the track.
Then answer me this: why are they not installed at all Jubilee line stations?

I've just remembered that the guy who designed the system lived opposite me when I was a kid. He was a nice man, although he really was your classic engineer type. The local kids knew him as the lego man because he always seemed to be wearing orange dungarees and his hair looked exactly like the hair of a lego man.

Um, that's not my answer, because that wasn't the question.

:confused:

The question was: "why aren't they installed on all the Jubilee line stations?"

They were installed with the extension, so the answer is:

"There's no emergency ventilation system on the above ground portion"

:confused:

The question was: "why aren't they installed on all the Jubilee line stations?"

They were installed with the extension, so the answer is:

"There's no emergency ventilation system on the above ground portion"
Congratulation on being evasive.

You're a total moron!

Look above. It's there for all to see!

Tell you what, how about you ask again this supposedly unanswered question?

Then answer me this: why are they not installed at all Jubilee line stations?
The jubilee line used to stop at Westminster, or was it Waterloo. It was extended east, to Stratford 15 years ago and the new platforms have the screens. As mentioned above, they need a straight platform , and I think a minimum width of platform.

OK, I'll play along (even though it's a complete waste of time - was it you who, last time this came up, pretended to have someone who "worked for TfL" sitting "right next" to you, who mysteriously disappeared when I asked this question?). Here goes......

Why do the surface level stations on the extension not have screens if their purpose to stop people getting onto the tracks?

Bungle: what colour is the sky?
Me: the sky is blue
Bungle: that's not an answer to my question
Me: you asked "what colour is the sky?", I said "the sky is blue"
Bungle: "congratulations on being evasive"

:D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom