Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London St Pancras station 15 years ago – photos of the semi-derelict Midland Grand hotel, June 2003

editor

hiraethified
Just posted this up:

st-pancras-june-2003-02.jpg

st-pancras-june-2003-04.jpg

st-pancras-june-2003-30.jpg

st-pancras-june-2003-07.jpg

London St Pancras station 15 years ago – photos of the semi-derelict Midland Grand hotel from June 2003

Stunning timberwork . The ceilings are beautiful.

Is the ticket hall as it was in the past or is that gone?

yes and no - it's still there but behind an expensive bar now

image.jpg

it was out of use for some time - when i first knew the station (early 80s) that booking office was locked out of use and gathering dust and there was a smallish booking office in a corner somewhere.

yes and no - it's still there but behind an expensive bar now

image.jpg

it was out of use for some time - when i first knew the station (early 80s) that booking office was locked out of use and gathering dust and there was a smallish booking office in a corner somewhere.
I feel lucky to have been able to have a mooch around the place before it got all polished up.

Amazing how sad it looked 15 years ago compared to the swish international hub, champagne bars and 5 star hotel of today.

It's a shame that the Gare du Nord is so disapopinting on the other side. Always makes me happy to come home when the train rolls into St.Pancras now.

it was even more sad in the early 80s before they started cleaning a century or so's worth of crap off the brickwork

stpancras1981cright.jpg

1981 photo from this page

London's buildings did look incredibly soot/pollution stained up until not long back didn't they. I always marvel at how incredibly dirty everything looked when I look at old photos/film - and must've smelled too when everyone smoked everywhere. Seems so rank now.

Back
Top Bottom