Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

*London cafes: your very best recommendations, please!

I just have to mention the Millwall cafe. Only cafe that I am aware of that sells Kennedys pies:cool:

Unit 2-3 Enterprise Ind Bolina Road
London
SE16

Attachments

• DSC00145.jpg
    DSC00145.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC00144.jpg
    DSC00144.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 15
Another cafe worth a visit, this time in the bleak outpost of Elephant and Castle.
electric-elephant-cafe-01.jpg

http://www.urban75.org/blog/electri...xt-kennington-and-elephant-and-castle-london/

We stumbled across the Counter cafe, Hackney Wick, E3 on Saturday and it's a great little cafe with proper coffee. Recommended!

The same people also have the container cafe which is part of the view tube (the thing made out of green containers opposite the olympic park.

I can't speak for the coffee (I don't do coffee) but the tea was very acceptable and the carrot cake was good.

My partner and next door neighbours are raving about the Stage Door Cafe in Catford Broadway. It does a mean, clean, lean breakfast apparently, with good coffee.

I haven't been yet as I can never get up in time. :oops:

A mention for Royal Teas, Greenwich. Far enough off the touristy bits not to be too full.

Semi-veggie, they will do smoked salmon in the breakfastage, but not bacon. The lunch / soup of the day is just that - one hot dish on, and that seems to be veggie.

Good selection of cakes and teas - the latter come with proper cup & saucer and tea strainer.

From my blog - this is a great Soho cafe with loads of proper tea and lashings of free wi-fi.

yum-cha-cafe-soho-london.jpg

This is a lovely tea shop/cafe in the heart of Soho. You can smell the leaves of the many blends on offer before ordering, and they do some pretty fine food too.
If you bag yourself an upstairs seat, you can watch Soho go by as you drink your tea (or coffee, if you must), and there’s free wi-fi on offer, so you can get some work done – if you’re not busy chomping on the cakes.
It’s well worth a visit. Yumchaa is at 45 Berwick Street, London W1F 8SF, and they’ve also got cafes at Camden Lock and Camden parkway and stalls at various street markets – check out their website: yumchaa.co.uk.

Good place, sarnies, cakes, tea, etc. I first went there when I had a massage at the Chinese den next door. I don't know how I got out but I staggered dazedly into Yum Chaa afterwards. The staffs seemed to recognise the signs - Chinese massseurs show no mercy - and were most sympathetic.

I like: Egyptian Nights and Lemon Sherbet teas. :)
I like the Camden Parkway branch too.

The Cable Cafe at the top of Brixton Rd, where you get off the bus to walk across the church yard to the Oval tube.

Very nicely restored old caff, made cool, but not expensive, good coffee, nice cakes, and they are so laid back that though they don't do food they will allow you to bring in a sandwich of your own. And Italian deli / sandwich bar Mimi almost next door is a great place to get it from.

Free wifi, v relaxed friendly vibe.

Anyone got any suggestions for a decent cafe in Hammersmith?

A search on the thread found no mentions in nearly ten years... Are there really none in the Smith?

Anyone got any suggestions for a decent cafe in Hammersmith?

A search on the thread found no mentions in nearly ten years... Are there really none in the Smith?
Actually, I posted Cafe Plum (formerly The Odd Spot), opposite Riverside Studios on this thread a few years ago. They do decent scran. There's also The Riverside itself. Those are the best places. The cafés along Fulham Palace road are generally shite.

Here's one more: Cafe Brera in Lyric Square. It does some of the best coffee in the area.

Ah thank you very much. Someone also just told me there's now a roof garden cafe thing on top of the Lyric, which is possibly a bit poncier than i was after, but sounds nice.

The Garden House on Tottenham High Road does a "Tottenham Special" fried breakfast for £3.
It's clean and friendly and there's a space out the back if you want to smoke.

The Cable Cafe at the top of Brixton Rd, where you get off the bus to walk across the church yard to the Oval tube.

Very nicely restored old caff, made cool, but not expensive, good coffee, nice cakes, and they are so laid back that though they don't do food they will allow you to bring in a sandwich of your own.
A cafe that doesn't do food? What's the point?

Electric Cafe - opposite fire station, west norwood

My fave fry up, bar none. Cooked to perfection, best bubble & squeak around. Regularly get the bus up from Brixton as there's nothing comparable here. Get the big breakfast #1 , add fried slice, £5.30 and full till dinner.

Family run.

2 massive thumbs up.

Very nicely restored old caff, made cool, but not expensive, good coffee, nice cakes, and they are so laid back that though they don't do food they will allow you to bring in a sandwich of your own. And Italian deli / sandwich bar Mimi almost next door is a great place to get it from.

Free wifi, v relaxed friendly vibe.

:hmm: - gentrification.

As I think I've said on another thread, used to go there for lunches when I worked in Kennington c. 1986-7. Fairly basic but acceptable 'caff' then.

Interesting to see the name has survived, though - well over 100 years since the cable trams (which handed back to the horses at Kennington) went.

My partner and next door neighbours are raving about the Stage Door Cafe in Catford Broadway. It does a mean, clean, lean breakfast apparently, with good coffee.

I haven't been yet as I can never get up in time. :oops:
I went there yesterday. It was nice, but nothing special. It closes at 5pm so you must get up really late!

Mike's on Blenheim Crescent W11.

Breakfast was just under a tenner but for that you got the pick of 6 items (I went for bacon, mushrooms, hash browns, two sausages, black pudding and egg), big glass of fresh orange juice, tea or coffee and two slices of lovely toast.

Mike's on Blenheim Crescent W11.

Breakfast was just under a tenner but for that you got the pick of 6 items (I went for bacon, mushrooms, hash browns, two sausages, black pudding and egg), big glass of fresh orange juice, tea or coffee and two slices of lovely toast.

Silver spoon for the tea, presumably, at ' just under a tenner' ?

sorrento in west norwood. superb and one of the longest businesses in west norwood i know of. a real centre of the town.

The Villa Cafe and Sandwich Bar, on York Way - about a mile or so from Kings X - run by lovely people - I'm a regular - it's fairly near work - sarnies/meals/pies,etc - very reasonably priced - get a lot of builders in:cool:

Back
Top Bottom