Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

*London cafes: your very best recommendations, please!

I went up to Leather Lane to have breakfast in Tiffins caff but was really disappointed to see its shut down. Replaced by an upmarket looking salf beef place :(

Has anyone mentioned Gabi's in Charing Cross Rd by Leicester Square Tube. It's very reasonable, very central, been around forever and was under threat of closure a while back. Its virtually an institution.

Reactions: tim
Ooh I was in Gabi's just the other day - used to go there regularly but hadn't been there for yonks. Crackin' falafel!

I'd not picked up on the fact it was threatened with closure until seeing all the newspaper articles on the wall there. Is it now safe?

Jesus, I'd thought it was threatened with closure years ago and was already closed! I think if it's still there, it's a good sign.

Rich bastard absentee landlord wanted gabis out to get megabucks for rent in there. Huge facebook campaign and the like helped save it. For now. What a gem it is.

I love Gabi's, and yes, they do the most wonderful falafel.

The last time I went there it was quite empty, though, which is a shame.

Tasty Jerk

If you are looking for a delicious barbecue pork or jerk chicken, go to Tasty Jerk on 88 Whitehorse Lane, SE25 6RG.

The meat, rice and gravy, everything was so good. You can taste those tiny angry peppers with a nice little sugary kick & smoke in the meat seasoning. I had a pork & chicken meal, and it was delicious. They've got 4 drum barbecue thingies in the shop, and one of them had tilapia fish. I will be trying tilapias next time.

I've just added salad leaves mixed in a houmous, lemon and Greek yogurt dressing and added red onion.

nJHEMGR.jpg

Tasty Jerk

If you are looking for a delicious barbecue pork or jerk chicken, go to Tasty Jerk on 88 Whitehorse Lane, SE25 6RG.

The meat, rice and gravy, everything was so good. You can taste those tiny angry peppers with a nice little sugary kick & smoke in the meat seasoning. I had a pork & chicken meal, and it was delicious. They've got 4 drum barbecue thingies in the shop, and one of them had tilapia fish. I will be trying tilapias next time.

I've just added salad leaves mixed in a houmous, lemon and Greek yogurt dressing and added red onion.

You can smell this place from Selhurst Park on a Saturday

One day I'll give it a go

My favourite local cafe here on the Isle of Dogs is "Hubbub" on Westferry Road.
It's in the back of an old chapel, the rest of the building being used as The Space, a community theatre.

Book exchange, art for sale on the walls, good food, beer and outdoor seats downstairs.

Makes a great change from the chain-owned places up at Canary Wharf.

All a few minutes from where I live too :)

http://www.hubbubcafebar.com/

My favourite local cafe here on the Isle of Dogs is "Hubbub" on Westferry Road.
It's in the back of an old chapel, the rest of the building being used as The Space, a community theatre.

Book exchange, art for sale on the walls, good food, beer and outdoor seats downstairs.

Makes a great change from the chain-owned places up at Canary Wharf.

All a few minutes from where I live too :)

http://www.hubbubcafebar.com/
Looks very nice, just a shame about the breakfast policy of no swaps. I can't stand beans or tomato on a fry-up, so no swaps means a la carte wallet rapage; fuck that for a game of soldiers :(

Lunch menu looks nice, gotta be worth a trip down from the belly of the beast; I'm a sucker for 2nd hand books :)

upload_2015-8-2_12-3-10.jpeg
Astral Cafe, Horseferry Road, SW1,you get plenty of cholesterol bang for your buck

Attachments

• upload_2015-8-2_12-4-15.jpeg
    upload_2015-8-2_12-4-15.jpeg
    5.1 KB · Views: 3
Just discovered: Don's Cafe, Lower Clapton Road, E5. Cheap cheap breakfasts (with Perfect fried eggs, better than i've seen anywhere else) served buy insanely happy whistling old man, with manic accordion music playing on stereo. Looks a bit like a derelict building on outside, but feels like a bit of a haven once in. I have eccentric taste in cafes tho.

Anyone recommend anywhere else in Clapton - I'm here now and need fry-up....

if mess is shut then amhurst cafe is next door, it's ok too. mess looks a bit "hipper" but it is actually about the same price and nicer food than any of the proper greasy spoon places.

Anyone recommend anywhere else in Clapton - I'm here now and need fry-up....
There is a greasy spoon at 79 Upper Clapton Rd and one nearer the roundabout on the corner of Brooke Rd and Upper Clapton Rd. Plus there is a Turkish place that does fry ups on Upper Clapton Road, it's the one with a little covered smoking area outside.
Harry Smiles

Last edited:
To show solidarity, I'm in the cafe of the friends meeting house, by Dustin station. Certainly much better than anything else around here :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom