Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

*London cafes: your very best recommendations, please!

manzes pie and mash, bermondsey, deptford and peckham. sort of a cafe.
M.Manze and Manze are different places. The Deptford one is not related to the Bermondsey/Peckham/Sutton one.

Well they're related, in that the same family opened them once upon a yonks, but it's not the same management.

Pretty firmly at the poncified end of things, but the Society Club's definitely got its uses. Their write-up describes it as a cocktail bar, but during the day it's a little haven of peace, random chats, dogs, books, pics and coffee in west Soho.

See post #9 on this thread?
yes, could well be the same one, and I defer to Hollis every time on all matters Wood Green-tangential. he did however say it was slap bang next to the tube, whereas this one is a bit further down, by the bus station

I'm not far from Wood Greed but tbh I wouldn't travel there for any kind of pleasure I can think of. Cheap pleasures feel cheaper and less like pleasures in that area, to me. Better off up the road in a Tottenham turkish cafe, or all sorts around Hackney (if you've got two wheels to give you the choice).

i'm doing this the wrong way round i know but can anyone recommend me a nice cafe for brunch in and around Soho on Saturday.

have pram + baby. want brunch before wandering around Record Store day in Berwick St

already know about the Breakfast Club, even its google images pic has a queue so guessing its very busy :D

Here's one I can't recommend:

speakeasy-espresso-bar-soho-1.jpg

Noisy, average coffee and uninspiring.

http://www.urban75.org/blog/speakeasy-espresso-and-brew-bar-soho-loud-and-disappointing/

Speakeasy Espresso & Brew Bar
3 Lowndes Court, London W1F 7HD
speakeasycoffee.co.uk

i'm doing this the wrong way round i know but can anyone recommend me a nice cafe for brunch in and around Soho on Saturday.

have pram + baby. want brunch before wandering around Record Store day in Berwick St

already know about the Breakfast Club, even its google images pic has a queue so guessing its very busy :D
Don't for god's sake go to the Breakfast Club. Queues round the block and full of teenage tourists.

there are 2 that get my lunch time business - Temptation Cafe on Murray Street (off Camden Rd) run by Jose (Portuguese) mixture of fry-ups and Portuguese - has a licence as well for long lunches :hmm: and Villa Sandwich Bar on York Way - trad breakfast/lumch cafe - good quality - cheap prices

Crown Cafe on the Waterloo Bridge north approach, cheaper than the Pret next door and portions are bigger. Plus the staff are good fun.

Seconded about the Jamyang.

Re the previous posters mention of the Breakfast Club, can someone tell me what's supposed to be so amazing about them that people actually queue to get in? I have passed both the Hoxton one and the one in Camden Passage, Islington and there's always queues.

Though I don't live round them parts these days, I do recommend the Victoria Cafe and Restuarant on Lavender Hill. It's towards the Wandsworth Road end, and they do a cracking full English breakfast with a proper stewed cup of tea. No posh business going on here - this is a good old-fashioned cafe that all the locals in that part of the world frequent.

(Link/photo etc be here: http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/directory/1924/124541.php)

Just heard that the Wong Kei has shut.
I know that opinions of the place vary widely, but I've had a soft spot for the place for more than 30 years.
Where will I get my Singapore noodles now?
Anyone got any recommendations for quick, cheap Chinese in the West End?

Just heard that the Wong Kei has shut.<snip>
Nooooooooooo! :eek:

Where else is so cheap and has such *ahem* abrupt service?

Edited to add: VP reckons it's possible that Wong Kei might just have moved. They've done it more than once before...

Back
Top Bottom