Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

*London cafes: your very best recommendations, please!

That used to be called the Odd Spot Cafe years ago and was definitely of the superior old school variety, with formica-topped tables, wooden chairs, and gleaming Still water boiler.

That's right, but for some reason the owners (who also owned The Bridge in Barnes) sold it to Plum.

Two I know already, but have visited recently and can recommend:

Cafe Sol in Crystal Palace (Westow Street) - went there today & the friendly owner remembered me even though I haven't been for ages! Unpretentious, decent coffee, freshest ciabatta I have had in ages, lovely choice of sandwich fillings & not too expensive.

The Glow Lounge in Clapham South (bordering on Balham) - laid back, free papers, friendly service (can be a little slow when busy), good food & juices. A nice outdoor area, though being a troglodyte myself I don't use it.

There is a new cafe opened up in the yard up the top of crampton street near the elephant that is well worth checking out if your in the area.

really good kebab house

This Kebab House is brillant and so cheap

Chicken Donna is £3.00, Meat donna same.
It is at turnpike lane near the tube entrance in Wellington parade Called the new Capital Kebab Resturant.

There is a new cafe opened up in the yard up the top of crampton street near the elephant that is well worth checking out if your in the area.

It's called 'The Electric Elephant' at 186a Crampton Street SE17 - near the top of Walworth Rd.
Open 7.30 a.m to 5 p.m M-F & 10 a.m to 3 p.m Sat.
Fresh soup every day, organic pastries & bread for sandwiches - good range of sandwich fillings, salads, homemade cakes & the famous Borough Market chocolate brownies. Damn Fine (fairtrade organic) coffee. Also doubles as a gallery exhibiting work by Pullens Yards artists.
http://www.pullensyards.co.uk/

The best cafe near where I live is Cafe Van Gogh on Brixton Rd - really excellent quality food & a lovely building. Open til 5 Mon - Sat.
http://trustedplaces.com/review/uk/london/cafe/1o12c7t/cafe-van-gogh

<snip>

Camden: the New Goodfare restaurant on Parkway is the best. Family-run, the capo di capo here is about 60 but dyes his hair black and wears plenty of medallions. Other cafe owners know him well - he is a 'character'. Past the Stables Market is John's Cafe, a good old-school workman's cafe. Nearer Camden tube is the Woody Grill, which looks like something out of Twin Peaks. By Camden Road station is the Parma: this has recently had a refit and looks a bit bland inside but has a lively atmosphere.

Euston: Eversholt Street has plenty of cafes. The Victory Cafe is run by an old Sicilian couple, very friendly. Further up is the Double Six, which has a cosy snug bit at the back. Conspiratorial atmosphere, popular with cabbies. There's also a weird-looking one run by an Irish bloke - name eludes me right now - but the front of it looks like an old wooden shack. You sit on a raised platform inside. Off Drummond Street is the Piccolo Snack Bar. As the name suggests, it's pretty small inside but nice old-time feel.

The best cafe on Chalton Street nearby is the Pinner, run by Turks. Popular with workmen and RMT officials. Round the corner is the Golden Tulip, run by Dennis and his extended family. A nice community feel here, lots of people nip in and out during the day for a yack.

Kings Cross: two good cafes have been lost here recently: the Railway (underneath St Pancras Station) and Bar Uno, formerly the Beehive, formerly the A1. The old lady, Maria, who ran it has now retired. The Modern Snack Bar has been revamped thanks to the Kings Cross Partnership and now looks crap. That leaves the Beano on Caledonian Road, which is tolerable, no more. Best to head south down the Farringdon Road to Muratori's, run by Gianni. Brilliant place, long history. Also the Kings Cafe near the sorting office is good, nice Turkish-style murals on the walls.<snip>

Endorsed. Also a mention for a nice one opposite the football pitch off Grafton Way in Fitzrovia. (Same street as the Agra indian restaurant)

It's called 'The Electric Elephant' at 186a Crampton Street SE17 - near the top of Walworth Rd.
Fresh soup every day, organic pastries & bread for sandwiches - good range of sandwich fillings, salads, homemade cakes & the famous Borough Market chocolate brownies. Damn Fine (fairtrade organic) coffee. Also doubles as a gallery exhibiting work by Pullens Yards artists.
Is that the one near Amelia St?

It looks good, but is off the beaten track, so i don't know how successful it will be.

Is that the one near Amelia St?

It looks good, but is off the beaten track, so i don't know how successful it will be.

yes that's the one.
It's in a pretty good location cos it has all the businesses of the Pullens Yards right next to it (approx 150-200 people work there), is in the heart of the Pullens estate itself, as well as a new housing development across the street, & one being built around the corner, & there are loads of offices around. It seems to be pretty successful already :) There's not exactly much (any) competition for decent food & coffee in that area......

me and roadkill went to a nice cafe in greenwich today, on royal hill (next door but 1 to drings butchers). it's a florists that has a little cafe too, very friendly people, nice atmosphere, not expensive............and a KITTEH!! called Mimi :)

The best cafe near where I live is Cafe Van Gogh on Brixton Rd - really excellent quality food & a lovely building. Open til 5 Mon - Sat.
http://trustedplaces.com/review/uk/london/cafe/1o12c7t/cafe-van-gogh

Yeah have to say i thought the " Electric Elephant" is a good caf. Sat outside i reckon it will do much more business in the summer as its quite small inside.

Caffe 43

Caffe 43 on Pratt Street in camden between bayham street and camden street.
Standard cafe fare breakfasts and lunches but cheap and hearty. Worth going just to see how many times they say goodbye to you

Wally's Cafe in Avery Row is another good option, always filled with builders and Claridges doormen and there's usually a long queue around the block for the takeaway option.
Someone asked about the Sandwich Bar in Brooks Mews, unfortunately it closed a few months ago.

the toad's mouth (i think?) in brockley is LOVELY.

and honest foods on coldharbour lane is my new favourite - had the best veggie breakfast evah on sunday, lovely staff, and some *gorgeous* art for sale that i'm saving up for :)

What about the demise of proper 'bubble', i've been served up fried mashed potatoes with frozen veg in it! The majority of greasy-spoon cafes in London are bloody awful, the quality is usually very poor, there are a few gems, 'Maria's' in Borough Market, 'Velli's' in Drayton Park to name but a few.

I popped in there, and it turns out I know the girl who runs it. She's part of the Unsound crowd.

It's perhaps more of a deli than a cafe, but here's a wee plug for Nevada Street, on the street of the same name in Greenwich, near the entrance to Greenwich Park. The woman who runs it is very welcoming, the food looks great, the coffee is more than drinkable and it's a very pleasant place to sit and watch the world go by. I've got into the habit of reading and/or working in there over a coffee. :cool:

Tony's on Chapter Street in Pimlico, just off Vauxhall Bridge Road is great. Blinding crusty bread, good daily specials, tea in mugs and the coffee is excellent too. A real old school caff.

Went into Pellici's on Bethnal Green Road last Saturday. It is certainly not the cheapest (or biggest) cafe round there but it is beautiful inside, the food is good, the atmosphere down-to-earth and friendly.

Tony's on Chapter Street in Pimlico, just off Vauxhall Bridge Road is great. Blinding crusty bread, good daily specials, tea in mugs and the coffee is excellent too. A real old school caff.

I often meet friends in there for a Saturday morning fry up. It's a great place and, like you say, really old school :cool:

i was just thinking how i could go check that out when i'm at work, but then i remembered i don't work near there anymore. :(

Inspiralled, camden High Street

Not sure if this counts as a cafe, it aint a greasy spoon, but then again it aint a restaraunt, I happened accross INSPIRALLED this week whilst visiting your little town.

From the website it looks too new age to be real, but it is actually very friendly and the food is out of this world (at a down to earth price).

It is very much into vegetarianism, fair trade, saving the planet, healthy living and chilling out, which might sound a bit pretentious, but that is not how it felt on my visit. They have some interesting events in there, including DJs (Don Letts at the controls this very evening).

it is as close as i have ever been to being in a festival cafe in an urban setting. Which is not surprising cos it has its roots in the party scene, they were heavily involved in the Synergy Project events.

It is plonked at the end of the High Street, overlooking the canal, and makes a welcome break from goth t-shirts, poppers and bongs.

The decor, the music and the friendly atmosphere are all an added bonus, cos at the end of the day what you want from a cafe is good food, and the food i sampled this week was awesome.

Back
Top Bottom