Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

*London cafes: your very best recommendations, please!

Batboy said:
It may be an institution, but they're shit; the beigels might be ok (Stodgyish), but the fillings are vomitable especially the cheese cum plastic toilet paper.

And why does every pr1ck go to the one nearest Bethnal Green Rd when the one two doors down has no queue and is identical? Because they read it in Time Out, that's why.

Here's my nomination: Cafe 104, 104 Tanners Lane, Barkingside. (next door to Sainsbury's) We eat there alot and it's always packed out, but the service is excelllent as is the food. Never had a bad meal there. Lovely coffee as well. Very reasonably priced.

The Gresham Cafe

Found a gem of a cafe right on my doorstep,The Gresham Cafe,338 Coldharbour Lane.Loads of traditional breakfasts to choose from(under £4 iirc)and you get a proper cuppa and lovely crusty bread thrown in :) .Looks small from the outside but once in there its like the tardis,huge seating at the rear and seating in the garden.I opted for a roast as they have such a wide selection and i was not dissappointed,it was pucker.The atmosphere was welcoming as is the friendly staff :D

Mario's Cafe, Kentish Town

I'd like to nominate the legendary Mario's Cafe, 4 Kelly Street, Kentish Town. It's run by a London Italian, Mario, who is famous for his chatty persona.

His mum does the Italian food, the cappuccino's great and the rest of the food is standard fry-up fare.

But this is the cafe that had St Etienne using the name for one of their songs. At one time many of the Camden indie bands like Primal Scream used to pop in. Beth Orton was a regular at one time and Urban favourite Rob Newman occasionally pops in to say hi.

Saturday mornings are usually good for conversation. It's one of those cafes where strangers strike up conversation and anything is up for discussion. A bit like Urban :)

Check it out if you're ever in the Camden area.

Squeegee :p

Batboy said:
It may be an institution, but they're shit; the beigels might be ok (Stodgyish), but the fillings are vomitable especially the cheese cum plastic toilet paper.

eh??!!

Did you try their salt beef and mustard one???!!!

I nominate Picho's, on Woolwich New Road, just off Beresford Square in Woolwich. Superbly old-fashioned, smoky greasy spoon. Does a superb breakfast for about three quid. A fine hangover cure. :cool:

The Valley Cafe, on Charlton Church Lane, is pretty good too.

in whitechapel- star cafe
opposite A+E, on the aldgate side of the macdonalds
everything you'd want from a cafe including awesome milkshakes

in barbican- the smithfield cafe
open all night and morning- so after a heavy night of drinking/clubbing theres always a baconburger waiting

popping in for lunch etc during the day
they make anything you want
had the best sandwich in the world there a couple of weeks back
a double decked sandwich
sausage sandwich on the bottom
with a lovely BLT on the top :cool: :cool:

Thanks for starting this thread. I hope to try out many of the cafes mentioned here.

I like real 'cafes' not bistros pretending to be cafes but I'd more or less given up on london cafes.

When I ask for 'bubble & squeek' I get a "Huh!" or some horrible soupy slop with uncooked cabbage.

If I ask for real coffee I get charged a £1+ and get Nescafe. If I say "what's that" I'm told "real coffee, nescafe".

peilucci's on bethnal green road good old italian greasy spoon with some decent bubble and tasy fuckin bacon cooked just right... the staff are a delight aswell.. get some right character poppin in

Classic cafe recommendations

Three I like are all classic caffs:

Mary's cafe 83 Camberwell Rd SE5. The best tasting workers tea I have ever had, worth the journey just for her tea and warm hospitality.

Beppe's cafe cor. West Smithfield & Hosier Lane EC1 opp St Barts and Smithfield market. Good for most stuff but being an Italian place try the ciabatta's and canneloni. Steak pie, mash, gravy and beans is excellent. Framed pics and memorabilia a nice touch.

Golden Fish Farringdon Road, EC1. Fish and chip heaven near Mount Pleasant Post Office. Good cheap food and authentic classic cafe style.

Regency Café, Regency Street, Pimlico

IMG_0961-thumb.JPG

A proper trad caff - nice old decor and friendly staff. Frequentes by many cabbies but also media types and featured in the film Layer Cake

Monkeynuts said:
And why does every pr1ck go to the one nearest Bethnal Green Rd when the one two doors down has no queue and is identical? Because they read it in Time Out, that's why.
i dunno i just go to whichever has less queue. the beigels are Cheap, tath's the greatest thing about them, tho the chopped herring ones are nice and i like plastic cheese. the other best thing is the tea, they make it the proper way rinsing water thru a stewed pot of leaves then diluitng.

Red Faction said:
in whitechapel- star cafe
opposite A+E, on the aldgate side of the macdonalds
everything you'd want from a cafe including awesome milkshakes

in barbican- the smithfield cafe
open all night and morning- so after a heavy night of drinking/clubbing theres always a baconburger waiting

popping in for lunch etc during the day
they make anything you want
had the best sandwich in the world there a couple of weeks back
a double decked sandwich
sausage sandwich on the bottom
with a lovely BLT on the top :cool: :cool:

Your not serious?
Minging cafs......Seriously you must be very brave or wreckless....

As has already been mentioned the Regency Cafe in Pimlico is great....

...for more of a reality check you've got to try Mary's towards the bottom of The Walworth Road, by Burgess park - the decor is frightening but the owner is really cool and more importantly the food is top notch, even if you ask for poached eggs. real crusty toast, and he makes a mean latte as well....:cool:

just popped into the thread to check that The Regency had been mentioned. :rolleyes: It's not as if they need any more custom! :mad:

I can't see any mention of Johnnie's Cafe on Coldharbour Lane. Best bubble ever, and whatever you order they fill your plate up with it. Friendly service, not too expensive. Omellettes and other set meals come recommended. Rammed at tea break with every Lambeth Council worker/BT engineer/tradesman in the area.
My mate's son gives him an ear bashing if he visits us and doesn't go. My Dad won't come to visit me in London unless we can go there, he's already asked Johnnie if my 3 years old daughter can work there when she's older.

I don't know whether it's been mentioned already, but Roma cafe on Peckham Park Road (Old Kent Road end) is rather good for fry ups and the like.

guinnessdrinker said:
I don't know whether it's been mentioned already, but Roma cafe on Peckham Park Road (Old Kent Road end) is rather good for fry ups and the like.

yeah ive been there very good , i like the two bob cafe up the palace ,and the carnival in west norwood

Cafe Paradou,just on Crystal Palace Parade.Their English breakfast is £4.50 for sausage,loads of bacon,beans,1 good sized hash brown,fried mushrooms proper fried tomatoes,toast and a pot of tea which is enough for 2 cups.They also do some pretty nice sandwiches and pastries which are all well priced.They've got a nice outdoor deck bit,which is buff in the summer and their staff are smiley and efficient.

Bon Appetite on Catford Hill,despite the name is a greasy spoon.Free newspapers,it's £2.10 for a breakfast roll and a tea and it's jokes to watch the mad people in Catford and the commuters in the morning.They fry up's that I can't finish and their take away sandwiches are quick.

Nixon said:
Cafe Paradou,just on Crystal Palace Parade.Their English breakfast is £4.50 for sausage,loads of bacon,beans,1 good sized hash brown,fried mushrooms proper fried tomatoes,toast and a pot of tea which is enough for 2 cups.They also do some pretty nice sandwiches and pastries which are all well priced.They've got a nice outdoor deck bit,which is buff in the summer and their staff are smiley and efficient.

We went there this lunchtime & found it very good.

the best cafe - stonecot hill sutton

sutton cafe
stonecot hill
its the best!!!
really great, fresh and huge portions.. utterly superb!

hello (this is my first post!)

i like Maggie's cafe in Lewisham - you wouldn't go there for fancypants
dining but you would go there for huge cheap portions, entertaining
locals, free tea and coffee top-ups, no hurry - sit there and read a paper
all day if you like... very friendly and brilliant.

Plus - it's as far as you cant get from the powerbook carrying nathan barley
crowd while still in Zone 2.

http://www.maggiesrestaurant.co.uk/

Back
Top Bottom