Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

*London cafes: your very best recommendations, please!

Not to mention the recent deaths of the Rendez-Vous (Maddox Street) Parma (Seymour Place) Euro Snack Bar (Piccadilly) Shame there's not a face "Smilie" with tears running out of its eyes!!!!

dunno if this one's already been done, but - I recommend - thoroughly - the People's Choice caff in Clerkenwell. cheap, tasty stews, curry, chili etc, good sarnies, pleasant staff and f-ing good value considering it's clerkenwell. you'll find it in Aldersgate St. 20 yards down from the x-rds of Old St and Clerkenwell rd

Trojan Warrior said:
I'd like to recommened two cafes, one named NECO'S at Bethnal Green just outside the tube station because if you ever ask for a mixed grill be it meat or the alternative veggie mixed grill they ask you if it's your birthday due to the size of it when it comes to your table (you'd need two of you to complete it and still need a doggie bag)

The second is the cafe on Finsbury Park, friendly staff, good value for money, great place to use in the summer months, plenty of space for the children to play in and a great boating lake.

Trojan

Don't know the Bethnal Green cafe but agree with what you say about the Finsbury Park cafe.

the spring cafe on stroud green road (n4, 2 mins up from finsbury park tube) is a fab little greasy spoon cafe, always v.friendly, nice and cheap too. and dino's grill on commercial street (e1) is ace - big menu, great food. you can't go wrong with wood panel effect wallpaper IMO :D

Cafe in London

Candid Cafe (near Angel tube station) and it's above the Candid arts
centre.

Roxy641 :)

P.S. This is my FIRST EVER POST. This site was recommanded to me by a guy in London.

Maggies Cafe in Lewisham Road, Lewisham (right by the railway bridge).

Fast, friendly service. One woman (Maggie?) constantly going round filling up customers cups with tea and coffee. Watch out, they sometimes play jokes on you too! Is also a restaurant.

The Van Gogh cafe on Brixton rd,the Oval end is good. It does good veggie and meat stuff and fair trade teas and coffee.

If you are up in town and can't afford Covent Garden prices then why not pop over to the LSE (Houghton Street/Portugal Street/Clare Market/and various surrounding streets - it is basically the whole corner where the south end of Kingsway meets the Aldwych). Nearest tubes are Holborn to the north, Temple to the south, Covent Garden to the west and Chancery Lane to the north east - all roughtly equidistant.

There are a whole bunch of cafés and bars there but I would recommend two in particular:

Wight's Bar
Very good quality and cheap 'greasy spoon' - only has a few seats (at the back) since it mostly does take-away sandwiches so you will probably have to share your table but you can get a mixed grill (all day breakfast thingy) for £3.50 Address: Houghton Street (few yards up on the left as you walk up from Aldwych).

Café Pepe
Has great fairtraded coffee and other organic/fairtraded food at very cheap prices - about 75p if I remember for a standard coffee, and maybe 85p for fairtrade. You can sit in there for hours and hours nursing one cup of coffee without anyone batting an eyelid - great place to read a newspaper. Incidentally the LSE student union shop (Houghton Street again - on the right as you walk up from Aldwych) will sell you a copy of The Guardian for 20p (the student discount price - no student ID needed). Café Pepe Address: 3rd floor of Clement House, Aldwych - a few doors west of the Royal Courts of Justice.

The only caveat about these places is that lunchtime is *very* busy when all the students go for lunch.

Cafe Delight by Clapham North tube - I started going there in '96 and drop in whenever I'm passing by. Number 3 with tea and Extra Mushrooms.

Just the basics.

Two killer South Lonodon cafes for you:

That veggie cafe on Clapham Common called Cicero's, aka Café on the Common.
In summer you can sit outside, but its very cosy in winter- really good veggie food, badass soup, good salads, nice staff...then after you can have a stroll round the duck pond, or a quick go on the half-pipe (yeah right).

Second, is a secret little cafe in Burgess Park: "CHUMLEIGH GARDENS CAFE", kind of near the start of the Aylesbury estate. Find all the groundsman buildings and gardens and walk in. Last door on the right is a public cafe. Pretty good food and drink, but what make this special is that it has its own beautiful garden (heaven in the summer) with blue tiled Islamic-style fountain, and nicely placed benches and tables all in their own little corners, under the shade of vines and trees and what-nots. The wardens have grown a special African and Caribbean Garden also.
At lunch time its full of healthworkers form the nearby medical centre, but other than then you can get the place to yourself. They now do jazz on sundays 1-3pm!

Plum Café on Munster Road, Fulham. They have the best cream chesse + jam bagels. Oh and hot chocolate!

Bus 14 should take you there... ;)

scarletwoman said:
The Amazon Cafe on Holloway road opposite the cinema and up a bit. Lovely in there, Free newspapers, family atmosphere (run by mother and daughter) and somtimes has a small art exhibit up on the walls. Local artists can sell through there. There is a tiny little garden out the back in the summer but it is cramped. If you going in gfor lunch you need to get there by 12 or there's no tables.

Round the corner from the Amazon on Hercules Street are two really good cafes, both run by Italians. There's Manolis, which do the best fried eggs ever and the Hercules. I tend to go to the Hercules more as they have a huge menu, with a big list of specials that they change regularly. They do a lot of italian stuff (natch), but cater for all tastes. They have loads of different breakfast combinations and do a good bubble.

They also do good puddings, some of which are less than a pound.

Oh and it's licensed. I haven't had a beer in there for a while but i think it's about £1.40 a pint (for Fosters/Heiniken type stuff)

agricola said:
theres a boss one in lansdowne drive e8 whose name escapes me though.... has loads of old theatre adverts in it

The Fields Cafe, I think it's called. I used to live very near it, very friendly place and superb scrambled eggs on toast :D

Oh, and hello all btw - I've been lurking for a while here, but I guess this is my first 'proper' post :)

i think this has been mentioned before on this thread, but i'll mention it again anyway, i popped into the amhurst cafe on amhurst road in hackney, today, never been there before, it's a cracking cafe....top notch, will definitely be using that one again :)

Whats' the one in Smithfields Meat Market where the breakfast plates are like the size of dustbin lids, and so are the fry ups and you can get a pint at 6am with it...used to go there years ago when I was young and doing nights and getting pissed in the early morning was fun. Alas too old now.

New London Cafe with a difference

CAFE VOM is a new internet cafe down Aldgate east, opposite the art gallery near brick lane. They do lukewarm foods, curled-crust stale sandwiches and not to mention top notch Lavattia coffee, which I noticed were made in an impressive Wanker machine.

What strike’s you the most is the layout of the whole place, with poor quality faux leather seats and tables reminisces of the vibe from the TV series 'Steptoe & Son', but not as clean. The prices are low ranging from £1.65 for a Mocha to 75p for earl grey. With a 42 millimetre Plastic screen (I think) on top of the bar, it’s the best place to pose with a Hot chocolate. With more seats and computers downstairs, me and my mates have made it our new meeting point. It's my top recommendation, because I am devoid of taste and discernment, as well as a spellchecker.

Cant say I rate the London Cafe in Wood Green! Yeah its ok i suppose but nothing to write home about. A bit of imagination and it could be agreat place. Unlike Crouch End up the road Wood Green doesnt really have any great caffs.
Anyone been to Bewleys in Dublin - its now closed down - for good! ..there is a campaign to reopen ..

www.savebewleys.com

Kab said:
The prices are low ranging from £1.65 for a Mocha to 75p for earl grey.
I call that bloody expensive, meself...and what is Lavattia coffee? Sounds like a counterfeit version of Lavazza....reminded me of a bottle of pirated perfume I saw once called Channel No4.....in fact your post looks suspiciously like spam to me....prepare for a bit of post-doctoring <rubs hands with glee!>

Mrs Magpie said:
I call that bloody expensive, meself...and what is Lavattia coffee? Sounds like a counterfeit version of Lavazza....reminded me of a bottle of pirated perfume I saw once called Channel No4.....in fact your post looks suspiciously like spam to me....prepare for a bit of post-doctoring <rubs hands with glee!>

one post, recommends a cafe, leaves...i agree with you mrs m

Pot-Bellied Pig said:
Whats' the one in Smithfields Meat Market where the breakfast plates are like the size of dustbin lids, and so are the fry ups and you can get a pint at 6am with it...used to go there years ago when I was young and doing nights and getting pissed in the early morning was fun. Alas too old now.
Fox & Anchor? Along Charterhouse Street. Went there once at 7 am for breakfast with a friend when we were both experiencing meat cravings. Ordered one breakfast to share since there was two of everything (two eggs, two sausages, etc.) and we aren't huge morning eaters. Waitress pointedly asked if we didn't want another breakfast, so we got two teas to appease her. When we asked for an extra set of cutlery, the waitress pursed her lips and asked if we wanted an extra plate too - why not, so we said yes. When she brought the plate she said disapprovingly 'We don't normally do this, you know'. Even the meat market workers looked like they were in fear of her.

Discovered a great new cafe called Franks on the Southwark Road- black and white vitrolite etc. Anybody else been there?
Went to Zippy's Grill on the Goldhawk Road at weekend. What a fine establishment. A rare specimen of the American diner style burger bar meets old time cafe (and you can get booze too including Turkish raki) the diner style lunch counter with round stools covered in red leatherette are great as are the booths also clad in red leatherette. And on top of this a motherly waitress. Across from here the very fine Harris' Cafe Rest (dig the typography) Also good typography on the Ritz Restaurant just down from here - now Greek Cypriot food ( you can get that rare thing- the Cypriot firewater zivania here) and the pistachio green Patio restaurant selling great Polish food at knockdown prices

Back
Top Bottom