Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

*London cafes: your very best recommendations, please!

Does Sutton count as London? Well anyway, 'Peckish' is just off the High St and I used to think it was ace. It's always full anyway.

Bar Bruno's in Wardour St - considering how all the other cafes around the old compton st area have gone all poncy its refreshing to find this place is still exactly the same as it was 20 odd years ago.

Originally posted by sir_roughdiamond
Bar Bruno's in Wardour St - considering how all the other cafes around the old compton st area have gone all poncy its refreshing to find this place is still exactly the same as it was 20 odd years ago.

It is where I learnt to eat spagetti, with just a fork, in the mid-eighties. Is it still run by the same family? I might have to take a trip down memory lane.:cool:

Glad that some things remain the same.:)

Bruno sold it last year to another italian chap from the same mould - some of his original staff have stayed on so its still pretty much the same as it ever was.

At the other end of the spectrum what about Sorrento cafe in West Norwood up near the woolworths? Another italian cafe run by a family who have only ever been involved in catering since coming to the Uk all those years ago...

Originally posted by Epona
Best greasy spoon in London - Regency Cafe - corner of Regency Street and Page Street, SW1.

It's a proper old-style formica counters job with a nice atmosphere, great grub, and cheap - a huge plate of food and a mug of tea for around £4.

i work around the corner from there now, it is a top quality spooner...

although i haven't been there for a week or so, it would be way too hot in there at the mo...

Also - proper grease pit - Castle snack bar near opposite old fire station just off from Old St roundabout (next to some comprehensive school). Ripped stools, formica counters, italian geezer selling the best sausage sandwiches if you are into that sort of thing.

If you find yourself in more swanky part of town how about Sergio's in Eagle Place between Picadilly and Jermyn St just along from Fortnums?
Or if you find yourself wandering around near Harrods you could always try Mimas/Knightsbridge Express which are on Knighstrbridge Green (an alley round the back of the old Harrods underground stores on the other side of the road from the main shop entrance).

Apols if you aint into italian cafes - all my suggestions are places I got to know over the years from social visits etc

(btw has no one mentioned Manzi's Pie and mash in bermondsey yet? My mates really rate it but as a veggie it seemed pretty pointless me going there with them at lunchtime)

the amount of knowledge on this thread is phenomenal! thanks people! anyone want to do quick meet ups in the cafes? it might be a way to get me up to stoke new etc..i want to check out the veggie turkish breakfasts..more info on those please :0)

my 2p....im always on the lookout for cheap VEGGIE food in the charing cross/tottenham court rd/holborn areas..!
i often find myself meeting freinds there and HUNGRY!
always go to the SAME places again and again..
doesnt have to be all veggie just some veggie options..!
i like places with BIG portions, ms bearbot needs strength to keep exploiting the benefits system/moaning about the world/and to try to erm "create" on......

the vegan chinese/thai buffet places (all u can eat for £5 before 5pm £6 after) on greek st and st martins lane have been mentioned..BEST VALUE if u are passin out from hunger.

on old compton st..MAOUZ falafel (just past paradiso fetish shop)
is good cos it is serve yrself salad bar and you can go up MANY times..get the basic falafel in pitta bread at £3 and stuff with salad/sauces..eat a bit repeat eat a bit repeat....coffee at 50p in there too!

ive not eaten much eles in the old compton area cos i fear the dreaded small portions! any ideas..?
havent been to pollo in awhile..heard they are giving stingy portions now :p

in the holborn area do yrself a favour and try
the airy sedate....
mary ward centre in queen sq WC1
this is a cheap veggie place run by italian people
in an adult education centre..open til about 8pm
only £3.50 for dish of the day pretty decent portions.
mary ward centre has all sorts of cheap, interesting courses worth checkin out esp if u are on benefits! u will pay a bomb for some of the yoga/tai chi they offer eleswhere....they do a huge range there..go pick up the booklet!

The Coral cafe on Lower Marsh in Waterloo.

Its great for an all day fry up without the fat - really chilled and a place you can sit and read the papers to your hearts content for as long as you feel like - plus you can take your own wine in with you if you want to get pissed - though not sure how that would taste with a fry up!:eek:

New entry

There is this new cafe on Bethnal Green Rd nr Brick lane. It sells Turkish pizza. Its brand new and I think they were struggling to finish off the shop because its a little rough and ready in there but center piece is their real wood fired oven.

All the pide's (think thats what they call them) are 4.50 eat in or 3.50 take away. Had a take away the other day.

Rather LOVELY I must say. Highly recommended.

<goes off to get another>

Sunray

the amount of knowledge on this thread is phenomenal! thanks people! anyone want to do quick meet ups in the cafes? it might be a way to get me up to stoke new etc..i want to check out the veggie turkish breakfasts..more info on those please :0)

I can be found in "the new river cafe" stokey church st (green lanes end), most mornings weekdays, ('bout 8ish), I believe it is run by Turkish peeps (whatever nationality, they're very friendly), and they do Veg brekies.

Their (meat)sausages aint all that, but their special breakfast does the job on a cold morn:D

thanks for the specific info toka!
i live in south london but sometimes i stay over with freinds in stokey so....next time if i can rouse myself out of a warm bed i will definately check this place out:D

has anyone been to this well cheap cafe in streatham (forgotten what its called now) but its kinda near the wetherspoons on streatham high road. well anyway its a family run business but the best thing about it is the price. breakfasts cost 99p. its a proper cafe, not a fast food type thing.
for food amount and general yum factor i also recommend pete's cafe on brixton hill, so big up to someone who mentioned it earlier!!!:D :)

I know i've already mentioned 2 cafes but there is another fav of mine that i missed out. has anyone been to the cafe st.germain, opp the bus stn in crystal palace? it has pavement cafe seating. well anyway they're food is superb and you also get v. large glasses of wine. bit more pricey than the other 2 places i mentioned tho.:D

Originally posted by KnickerlessCage
has anyone been to this well cheap cafe in streatham (forgotten what its called now) but its kinda near the wetherspoons on streatham high road. well anyway its a family run business but the best thing about it is the price. breakfasts cost 99p. its a proper cafe, not a fast food type thing.
for food amount and general yum factor i also recommend pete's cafe on brixton hill, so big up to someone who mentioned it earlier!!!:D :)

Yeah I've been there basic but good food. I do believe I had 2 one after the other it had to be done given that they were so cheap :D

How you doing by the way Knickerless cage? I saw the photo from the firework night your'e looking swell;)

I recently went to the S & M cafe, 4-6 Essex Road not far from Angel tube. S & M meaning sausage and mash. You get a large choice of sausages (veggie and meat ones), plus a choice of mash and gravys. They also do pudding if you can manage one. Cheap as well. A big meal for around £5, plus they are licensed, so you can have beer or wine if you want. Not sure if you can bring your own though.

£4 for all day breakfast not a good option though. I don't eat this but I've seen cheaper in the West End. But it's not bad for your tea! :cool:

Haven't read through all 5 pages of recommendation, so these might have been mentioned before...

Candid Arts Cafe (Islington, behind Angel tube next to Electowerks - very nice atmosphere and good veg food (a little pricey though). Could easily spend hours there reading the papers. Good one for dates, so I hear.

Food for Thought (Covent Garden) - Excellent veg food, with great value large portions. Always busy. My mate is the head chef, so I often get to eat for free :) (don't but tell the owner)

Cafe Kick (Exmouth Market) - because the staff treat customers like friends, the bottled beer is only £1.50 4-7pm daily, they have table football (which I like), and it's on one of my favourite streets.

Peace,

Josef.

Nicky's cafe, well street, near the junction of mare street in hackney, run by a football mad greek fellah, does it basic, and does the basics well...good fyr ups, nice sarnies and an exellent cup of tea....i'm working close by now so i often have my lunch there...:D

Theres an excellent one in Finsbury Park. Its on Crouch Hill, just up past the Old Dairy, on the same side. I cant remember its name, but its just 3 or 4 doors past the Dairy. Great fry up, not too greasy and fantastic bubble.

Not really a cafe, although it has a small seating area, but Aunties Bakery in Green Street (off Upton Park tube) does fantastic salt fish rotis and coco breads and some pretty good spicy chicken wings and fish. just opposite Green Street market which is well worth a brouse

Originally posted by chieftain
The Mess Cafe in Amhurst road Hackney is the best cafe in Hackney by miles, really nice grub with chilled music and free papers to boot.

I agree, and it's not too pricey either.

Buzz sw9 said:
I haven't been here yet but as St Agnes Place seems to be in the news I thought I'd post this,

Cut from their site:

There will be a screening event in the cafe, no. 60 St Agnes Place tomorrow night Saturday 25th October from 8pm for 9pm.......Free inny
Films will include........

BILSTON GLEN 2003
Since the 12th of June 2002 Bilston Glen has been occupied & fortified by an ever expanding group of environmental activists. Bilston Glen is a SSSI and faces having a bypass ripped through it. The cost of the road is being funded by multinationals by sainsburys, ikea, costco, kwicksave and vivisection gm giants PPL therapeutics

ST. AGNES the film
a work in progress documenting the history of the street and highlighting homelessness in London

LIFE IN THE FAST LANE
This inspiring, moving and at times hilarious feature length documentary presents the inside story of the NO M11 Campaign, and featuring the battle for Wanstead's George Green, the Wanstonia eviction and the celebrated roof top protests of 1994. Against the backdrop of growing resistance to the Criminal Justice Act, their video charts the emergence of Claremont Road as an extraordinary symbol of cultural defiance and relieves what became the most expensive eviction in British history. The video features the music of: Zion Train, The Clash and the Levellers.

if this is in the wrong place I'm sure the Moderators will move it, thank you
errr...don't you think some idea of broad london vicinity might possibly enhance this post? :confused:

Buzz sw9 said:
Well as St Agnes was all over the boards at the time and I'd guess most people who were interested and able to attend would know where St Agnes is, and yes it is an oversight not to have added the web address.

But as the event in my post was 3 months ago, I'm surprised you have mentioned it now; but as you have let me take this opportunity to tell you that this is their website address, http://www.stagnesplace.org/index.php and also point you in the direction of this thread; http://www.urban75.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64908

Also there is a cafe open now at 60 St Agnes Place and if you are in the area Pop in and say hello, I'm sure that your interest and support will be welcome Red Jezza, when will you be visiting?
BuzzSW9 (dave)

Moderators: As this is a "sticky" and not a general chat thread please feel free to remove this post and my post about the event last October that Red Jezza is referring to so as not to divert this thread and its purpose.

cheers Buzz, all v useful and enlightening, I stand updated :) Kennington a trek for me, but may well toddle on down soon.

Had a quick scroll through thread.

Also the Jasmine Cafe in Castlehaven Rd NW1(near the market).A cafe run by a nice Thai family.They used to be in Greek st in Soho but could not afford the rent anymore.For reasons outlined by Spud Murphy 111 earlier.

They are cheap and do normal cafe food as well as Thai food.They are friendly-well he is his wife is quiet and stays in the background.Its worth a visit.

I believe he told me they are open on weekends now as well.

My other usual is "Brunos" in Soho on the corner of Wardour st and Peter st.Under new owners but still Italian.One of the few cafes in Soho not turned into a Pret a Mange.

Ive got a few more but need to check their addresses.

Are any of these posts listed up on U75 guide now?

Cafe Plaka in Kings Cross is rather lovely albeit expensive. Mediteranian Cafe in Russel Square is nice and is relatively cheap. Brie and Tomato baguette for £2. :)

Some West End delights...

Epocha, St. Martin's Lane. Bloody marvellous coffee.

Apostrophe in St. Christopher's Place. Expensive but lovely.

Others...

Cafe Delancey, Camden.

There's also a brilliant place, the name of which I can't remember, behind Angel tube on the minging Torrens Street. You go up some dodgy looking stairs into a "nu-boho" hangout with excellent coffee.

Checked out the 99p breakfast in Streatham once when I was realy skint ...have to say it wasn't up to much.
There's a wicked caff oposite SouthBank Uni on Wandsworth Rd...cant remember the name but it's Spanish run and does the best Fry-up and Mushrooms in South London..
...There's also a good'un in westminster, next to the fire station...looks a bit poncey but you get a huge good quality full english for about 3.50.

Shit...I'm feeling hungry.

Gramsci said:
Had a quick scroll through thread.

Also the Jasmine Cafe in Castlehaven Rd NW1(near the market).A cafe run by a nice Thai family.They used to be in Greek st in Soho but could not afford the rent anymore.For reasons outlined by Spud Murphy 111 earlier.

They are cheap and do normal cafe food as well as Thai food.They are friendly-well he is his wife is quiet and stays in the background.Its worth a visit.

Yes, it's lovely there. I think they do the best coffe in London... am there most every Saturday.

tOka said:
I can be found in "the new river cafe" stokey church st (green lanes end), most mornings weekdays, ('bout 8ish), I believe it is run by Turkish peeps (whatever nationality, they're very friendly), and they do Veg brekies.

Their (meat)sausages aint all that, but their special breakfast does the job on a cold morn:D

toka our paths must have met, new river caff is top, just round the corner from me! I'm in there mostly on weekends normally number 2 for me with the bubble and squeak....
:D

top caff and the service is very good, efficient and friendly

I'd like to recommened two cafes, one named NECO'S at Bethnal Green just outside the tube station because if you ever ask for a mixed grill be it meat or the alternative veggie mixed grill they ask you if it's your birthday due to the size of it when it comes to your table (you'd need two of you to complete it and still need a doggie bag)

The second is the cafe on Finsbury Park, friendly staff, good value for money, great place to use in the summer months, plenty of space for the children to play in and a great boating lake.

Trojan

Both the Copper Grill and the Piccolo in Liverpool Street closed last month- due to "redevelopment" :mad: And when I walked past the Tea Rooms off New Oxford Street the interior was gutted- looks like they too have bitten the dust! :( It also seems that the New Piccadilly is not long for this world! Also a couple of fine old caffs by Clerkenwell Green have vanished.
These cafes , mostly run by Italian families and with wonderful decor from the 50s and 60s are a doomed species. They were part of what made London, London and like the Routemasters, they are vanishing. Instead we have Costa Packets, Cafe Republics, and all the other soulless chains wherever we look. I walked down the Tottenham Court Road from the top at Warren Street Station as far as Centre Point the other day and not a family-run caff could I find :(

Back
Top Bottom