Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Loads of ladybirds about

We've had a cluster at the end of our drive for about a week now. There's loads and they don't seem to move. I think they're plotting something. :hmm:

i have visions of them organising to send you secret messages :hmm:

something along these lines only more sinister :D

GC00017-MED.jpg

Really pleased that they're about this early! Found one of these inside yesterday on my Chilli plant:

Black-Ladybird-1.gif

Also seen a few two and four spots but thankfully none of those interloping Harlequins (too far up North):

harlequin-ladybird.JPG

^^ "Interloper!" ^^:mad:

Perhaps this year they'll have a good enough head start to stop my hop turning into lace almost as soon as it's covered the wall ...

Not just aphids, shed loads of caterpillars too - thinking about it though, perhaps ladybirds don't eat those - even though they're teeny ...

That's what I was thinking, probably caterpillars. You need blackbirds and robins and that.

I'll have to make sure I hang up some fat balls to encourage the birds ... the sparrows have a half-hearted go in late summer ... just need to get them in earlier.

I have them in my flat for about a month or so. I don't have any carpets...don't know if that's a factor but right now there will be at least 4 in my lounge...I can see one on the windowsill.

Slugs in my garden. Was out having a spliff last night and I stepped on one on the decking. I had a sock on but blurrrrrrrrrrggggh did I feel the squelch and wet ickyness.

In your garden.
Your lucky.
We have them most nights all over the kitchen floor.
Mostly tiny but the occasional big fucker.
We are a basment flat but I cannot work out how they get in and out.

They actually don't bother me but house-mate had once in the past been found with a pot of salt in a kinda 'ready to pounce' pose for hours late at night :D

There must be nothing in here for them to eat that they can get at and they always disappear just before dawn :hmm:

Ooh, and something purple!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332490330.121355.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332490330.121355.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 4
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332490364.686947.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332490364.686947.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 4
i may be totally wrong but that doesn't look like them being eaten to me - cos it's just the ends and they don't look munched, just split and raggedy. looks more like something fungal/nutrition related :hmm: we often get twisty leaves on our apple tree from them getting munched by aphids while they're still unfurling but that doesn't look the same to me.

/not a gardening expert!

Lots of ladybirds flying around and on my windows today, after not seeing many this year.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom