Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

List the films you've seen at the cinema: 2014

Unrelated a 2006 film directed by Joanna Hogg which I can't say I particularly enjoyed, there was nothing wrong with the acting etc I just found the story quite boring and the characters irritating - but that may possibly have been just me. Fortunately I hadn't paid to see it!

Guardian write up for anyone interested www.theguardian.com/film/2008/sep/19/drama1

Caught Calvary with the excellent Brendan Gleeson. Black comedy which slides into just dark drama. The financial crash and the catholic sex abuse scandals jostle around in discussions on morals. The scenery is stunning.

1. Stranger by the lake (L'Inconnu du lac)
2. The Grand Budapest Hotel
3. Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Russ Meyer classic released the year I born - 2 good things came out that year :thumbs: violent, sexy, funny, what you'd expect from Meyer - not sure if this is being re-released all over - they were showing it at the Barbican.

I should join this to keep track as I've seen loads this year but have probably forgotten some :oops: From memory thus far:

1. The Hobbit 2
2. 12 Years a Slave
3. The Wolf of Wall Street
4. August: Osage County
5. Dallas Buyers Club
6. The Lego Movie
7. The Grand Budapest Hotel
8. The Muppets Again
9. Locke
10. Calvary

All were really good apart from The Hobbit (meh) and Wolf of Wall Street which was an hour too long at least. I saw Calvary yesterday and it's well worth seeing. Brendan Gleeson is ace, and the rest of the ensemble cast are terrific.

We are the Best! (Lukas Moodysson 2014) A joyful coming of age flick with some great laugh out loud moments and a trio of brilliant performances from the leads. Like his early films it's both moving and heart warming.

"Hate the Sport! Hate the Sport!" :D :cool:

Fading Gigolo - John Turturro's new film, he not only directs but also stars in it. He plays an underemployed bloke who gets into the gigolo business through his friend Murray (played by Woody Allen), and ends up falling for a Hassidic widow. I guess you'd call it a comedy-drama, with some deeper moments in amid the comic parts. It's not a masterpiece but I rather liked it, Turturro is good, Woody Allen plays himself but then I've always rather liked that, Sharon Stone and Sofia Vergara are quite good in comic roles.

Locke yesterday, Tom Hardy, as reviewers have suggested, does give a good performance but not enough to cover up a script that was lacking and a plot which also lacked dramatic tension, found myself getting a bit bored towards the end and the finish was pants quite frankly, one to wait for the tv showing methinks.

Went to a screening of Buster Keaton films at the Melbourne Cinematheque, they showed two shorts The High Sign and Neighbours, both enjoyable though the first was probably the better of the two, as well as two longer films Steamboat Bill Jr. and The General.

This was the first time I'd ever seen any of Keaton's work (outside of clips), just a fantastic evening. The General was probably my favourite, IMO it worked best as a overall film. Steamboat Bill Jr. has some amazing stunts and very funny moments but it didn't feel as "whole" to me as The General which just clicked together.

OK, it wasn't in a cinema so perhaps the lack of monster screen size was an important omission, but fucking hell Elsyium was a crock of predictable shite, right down to the inevitable one against one showdown of the two main protagonists at the end. Awful.

Frank.

Surprised at just how good this was, both very funny and very touching, as well as insightful about 'creativity', mental illness, and the link, or lack of, between the two. It seems odd to say Fassbender is so good when we don't really see him, but he is, as is Gyllenhall & Gleeson. Their musical performances are damned good too. Best film from the British isles this year.

Oh, and other than a head, it clearly has bugger all to so with the actual Frank Sidebottom, but is marvellously inspired by him.

Last edited:
Frank.

Surprised at just how good this was, both very funny and very touching, as well as insightful about 'creativity', mental illness, and the link, or lack of, between the two. It seems odd to say Fassbender is so good when we don't really see him, but he is, as is Gyllenhall & Gleeson. They're performances are damned good too. Best film from the British isles this year.

Oh, and other than a head, it clearly has bugger all to so with the actual Frank Sidebottom, but is marvellously inspired by him.

Most reviews i read gave it the good review it deserves, apart from the Sunday Times who clearly went expecting a film about Frank Sidebottom to the point where she even points out that him being form US rather than Timperly is 'wrong' and Jon Ronson didn't go to Ireland after doing 1 gig, so it needs pointing out, as he was aquired taste so could put people off, or b sidebottom fans feel disappointed

to creativity& mental illness I would add band dynamics

Last edited:
Hiroshima Mon Amour - Again showing as part of the Melbourne Cinemathque. Absolutely stupendous, this just blew me away right from the great opening scene. Emmanuelle Riva is both brilliant and absolutely gorgeous, and the whole movie is beautiful, the restored print is top notch. The script is marvellous, poetic repititions. Totally recommend this to anyone.

The Two Faces of January

Patricia Highsmith is the best crime writer going (even now, despite being dead). Ripley is her greatest creation, a truly contemptible genius, who, somehow, has never been really succesfully portrayed on screen (I do like The American Friend, but its not really my idea of Ripley, so its a Wenders/Hopper movie, not a Highsmith one). So, The Two Faces, which features highly Ripleyesque characters, was always going to be a bit hit and miss. But it pulls it off excellently. There's nothing flash or fancy in the cinematography or direction, its a straight, fairly conservative telling of the tale. But, oh, what a good tale. You're never quite sure whether you know more than the characters or not, the twists and turns are nicely revealed, and all the locations are gorgeously shot.

Not having read the book, and thus knowing how it all pans out, probably helped a lot toward my liking of it.

Frank.

Surprised at just how good this was, both very funny and very touching, as well as insightful about 'creativity', mental illness, and the link, or lack of, between the two. It seems odd to say Fassbender is so good when we don't really see him, but he is, as is Gyllenhall & Gleeson. Their musical performances are damned good too. Best film from the British isles this year.

Yes, it was daft but no too daft, amusing and, as you say, ultimately quite affecting too. I liked too how it had a swipe at the SXSW scene and how they'd lap up any old band if they've got enough of a youtube/twitter buzz about them, even if what they get to see is a complete shambles and actually quite sad to witness.

Last edited:
Double bill of Walkabout and Wake in Fright. Hadn't seen Wake in Fright before -- thought it was very good -- but God, if anything would make you give up drinking...

I got my 'Frank' review (pretty much the same one as above) read out on Kermode & Mayo. Mark didn't even disagree with me. Much.

Hiroshima Mon Amour - Again showing as part of the Melbourne Cinemathque. Absolutely stupendous, this just blew me away right from the great opening scene. Emmanuelle Riva is both brilliant and absolutely gorgeous, and the whole movie is beautiful, the restored print is top notch. The script is marvellous, poetic repititions. Totally recommend this to anyone.

Tu voit rien a Hiroshima. :mad:

I got my 'Frank' review (pretty much the same one as above) read out on Kermode & Mayo. Mark didn't even disagree with me. Much.
That's got one of the best examples of a drunk with a bottle throwing it away after seeing something so awesome it cures him of his alcoholism.

The Two Faces of January

Patricia Highsmith is the best crime writer going (even now, despite being dead). Ripley is her greatest creation, a truly contemptible genius, who, somehow, has never been really succesfully portrayed on screen (I do like The American Friend, but its not really my idea of Ripley, so its a Wenders/Hopper movie, not a Highsmith one).
I rather like Ripley's Game, but I agree that Malkovitch isn't playing the Ripley of the books. What did you think of Ian Hart in the R4Extra adaptations?

Looking over the stuff I saw this weekend it's quite weird but the three new films I saw all have some themes in common - coming of age, relationships between parents and children.

Young and Beautiful
- François Ozon's new one, it's ok, the plot is that a young girl, Isabelle, decides to take up prostitution, more for the experience rather than for the money. The lead, Marine Vacth, is pretty good and Charlotte Rampling pops up. For me the best part of the film was the interactions between Isabelle and her younger brother which had a lot of depth, unfortunately I don't think that relationship was explored as much as it could have been. If you're an Ozon fan probably worth going to see otherwise I'd wait for it to come on TV/DVD.

Child's Pose - part of the "Romanian New Wave", the story is ostensibly about the, almost pathological, relationship between a mother and her son, though it uses this to highlight the corruption of modern Romania. Both major characters are pretty repellant (the son even more so than mother IMO) but the quality of the film is such that they never become caricatures. It doesn't have the sheer power or brilliance of Beyond the Hills, but it's still a strong piece of work.

52 Tuesdays - Australian indie film, with the story being told using the events of 52 Tuesdays occurring to the central character, Billie, over the course of a year where her mother is undergoing gender transition, and she is exploring her own sexuality. There's a lot of very good stuff, the acting is mostly top notch, especially the young actors, and for the first two thirds the events unfold in a really natural way. The main problem is the last third which just seemed very artificial to me with the events forced to fit the story rather than arising sympathetically, I think part of the problem is one character in particular, Billie's uncle, who IMO always felt rather fake having a greater role in the events towards the end. In fact, I think the film could easily lose his character altogether and be much stronger for it. That said despite those problems and the rather hipster 52 days theme the overall film is very strong and worth going to see.

Also there's a samurai film festival on here, showing a bunch of classics so I went to see

The Seven Samurai - great of course, tot sure I really need to/can say much more.

The Wages of Fear - unlike The Seven Samurai, I'd not seen this before, really enjoyed it, the print wasn't in quite as good condition as The Seven Samurai, but it was still pretty good and the quality of the film made up for any blemishes. The initial setup, showing the boredom and squalor of their lives is done very well indeed, while he scene where they have to blow up the rock blocking their path I found particularly tense.

Saw Pulp Fiction earlier as it's 20 years old and now in the classic screening section. It was fab seeing it large again plus the cinema was totally full with a great atmosphere.

Anyone else seen the new Miyazaki animation film The Wind Rises yet?

I saw it last week and loved it - I'm a big fan of the Studio Ghibli films anyway.
It's supposed to be Miyazaki senior's last film.

Back
Top Bottom