Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

List the films you've seen at the cinema: 2014

Nightcrawler - Agree with what Sue, belboid, Gramsci and Dr Furface have said. A very, very good piece of work. Gyllenhaal is absolutely fantastic, he seems to have managed to change his physical appearance. Sue's right about the shoot out at the restaurant, but also the scene where he takes Nina to the restaurant is skin crawling too. It was well shot too, and I the only one that thought that parts of it were shot to evoke the neo-noirs of the 70s (particularly Chinatown and The Two Jakes), likewise the choice of Lewis's clothes? Definitely worth going to see.

Nightcrawler - Agree with what Sue, belboid, Gramsci and Dr Furface have said. A very, very good piece of work. Gyllenhaal is absolutely fantastic, he seems to have managed to change his physical appearance. Sue's right about the shoot out at the restaurant, but also the scene where he takes Nina to the restaurant is skin crawling too. It was well shot too, and I the only one that thought that parts of it were shot to evoke the neo-noirs of the 70s (particularly Chinatown and The Two Jakes), likewise the choice of Lewis's clothes? Definitely worth going to see.

ActualIy was more talking about the him and her in the restaurant scene (which still makes my skin crawl when I think about it) but the shootout was very well done too I thought.

ActualIy was more talking about the him and her in the restaurant scene (which still makes my skin crawl when I think about it) but the shootout was very well done too I thought.
Ah, got sorry, too many restaurant scenes.

Anyway last two films of 2014

Whiplash - This has got great reviews, I don't think it's quite as good as many are making out but the two central performances J.K. Simmons and Miles Teller, are excellent and it's well directed which makes up for the somewhat unoriginal plot.

Mr Tuner - while Another Year was clearly an excellent piece of film making I didn't like it, this is every bit as good a piece of film making and I enjoyed it a lot more. Spall is excellent managing to make his grunts have more depth than most films speeches, the rest of the cast are good too especially Dorothy Atkinson as Turner's housekeeper and Paul Jesson as his father. It's wonderfully shot and bits of it are very funny, like Queen Victoria dismissing Turner's pictures as a "vile yellow mess". One of the best films of the year.

Back
Top Bottom