Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

List the films you've seen at the cinema: 2014

Dr. Furface, think it's set in Belgium. IME, French employment stuff is much better than it is here.
The law doesn't really come into it. The owner can ask the employees what they'd rather do in any country, tho no one could insist on their vote being binding.

Guardians do the Galaxy for us last night. More entertaining than I thought it would be, a good laugh. Not enough Karen Gillan tho.

The law doesn't really come into it. The owner can ask the employees what they'd rather do in any country, tho no one could insist on their vote being binding.

No, pretty sure in France they'd have to go through the staff representative body before anyone gets laid off which takes ages. Was certainly the case when I worked in France.

obvious child is v funny, real and a great example of a low budget film doing good, made for <1 million by women
god help the girl - unless you are 14, or nostalgic for your 90s shoegazing days just don't bother, i wanted to punch all the leads and cut my own ears off

No, pretty sure in France they'd have to go through the staff representative body before anyone gets laid off which takes ages. Was certainly the case when I worked in France.
oh yeah, they have a shitload of bureaucracy to go through (at least in big orgs, not sure about small businesses), but I would be fairly sure a decision like that in the film wouldn't have to be taken in the way it was - that'd be a tactical decision on the part of the employer.

Night Moves

The latest from Kelly Reichardt who brought us the excellent Meek's Cutoff a couple of years ago. Like that movie, this spares the dialogue and builds up the tension slowly and quietly, as three radical environmentalists go off to blow up a dam. The first half is excellent, with the three (Jesse Eisenberg, Dakota Fanning & Peter Sarsgaard) gradually getting the kit together and going off to carry out the deed. Thereafter they have to deal with the consequences of their actions. This section is a bit predictable, but well carried off, until the last fifteen minutes which just didnt work for me, not well enough set up. The preceding 90 minutes are good enough for that not to matter too much tho.

1. Stranger by the lake (L'Inconnu du lac)
2. The Grand Budapest Hotel
3. Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!
4. Two Days One Night (Deux Jours, une nuit)
5. Wild Life (Vie Sauvage)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3480164/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

3rd French language film of the year

Saw it at the London Film Festival, based on a true story, hippy parents split up as mother wants a more conventional life for her and her 3 kids, father takes his 2 sons away (Eldest son was his step son) and they disappear for 10 years living an alternative life style in communes in the south of France - thought it was excellent, really well acted.

Maleficent - Angelina Jolie is amazing throughout, beautiful backdrop world for thecharacters to play out and definitely recommend for anyone.

Mr.Peadbody & Sherman - computer animated, brainy dog is cute, travel through time, didn't understand much of the plot but quite good fun anyway, but nothing particularly new and a lot of these "cgi" films just become much of a muchness.

Pudsey The Movie - Yay! My favourite film of the year so far by far, it's hilarious and don't pay any attention to the critics who panned it as it is a film for all the family and doesn't pretend to be anything but.

David Walliams does Pudseys voice to great comic effect and the entire film is so silly with adorable Pudsey, you can't help but just laugh and take it in as it is what it is.

I rate the above in the following order of my personal preference:

1. Pudsey The Movie :D
2. Maleficent :thumbs:
3. Mr.Peabody & Sherman :)

A Most Wanted Man - Anton Corbijn's adaptation of John le Carré's novel with Philip Seymour Hoffman playing a German spy in Hamburg. The casting is slightly weird with most of the main roles being American stars and the minor parts being German actors. That said I think this Corbijn's best film yet, Hoffmann is good, the plot is tight and tense and the ending nicely cynical.

Just seen this, brilliant film absolutely believable and Hoffman makes what would have been a generic and slightly tedious role come alive and real before your eyes.

Gelin ('The Bride' Omer Lutfi Akad 1973) at the NFT as part of the London Film festival last night. Interesting film about Anatolian peasants moving to the City, a bit clunky at times but enjoyable nonetheless.

The Purge - dystopian thriller set in a near future USA in which there are 12 hours every year in which nothing is illegal.
I heard about this film from some children who kept going on about it as if it was a real thing.
I was expecting poor quality DTDVD bobbins. It has Ethan Hawke and Cersai off of Game Of Thrones in it so it had all the markings, but in fact it was really rather good. TIP!

'71

Taut, engrossing, and terrifying. A poor Derbyshoire squaddie gets trapped behind enemy lines and has to make his way back to barracks, amidst splits in the IRA, between uniforms and undercovers, as well as the religious one. You know it wont end well.

Also a certain parochial pleasure to be had in the use of Sheffield's Park Hill flats to stand in for the Divis

20,000 Days on Earth - the Nick Cave biopic. I'm surprised no-one has mentioned this yet, given the adulation and adoration that Mr Cave usually receives on U75 (well on the music forum anyway). It's a fictionalised day in the life of our man as he drives his Jag (black, vintage, obvs) round Brighton with Ray Winstone and Kylie, meets his analyst and lays down some tunes with Warren Ellis et al - you get some live performances of a few songs from his last album. I'd have liked a little more about his Birthday Party days - the anecdote about a concert they did in Germany was one of the funniest bits in the film. All in all if you're a fan it's a pretty enjoyable 97 mins.

Gone Girl. I didn't read the book so I can't compare it to that but as a film it delivered pretty well - however I couldn't gush about it like Kermode and some other reviewers have done. David Fincher's always an interesting director and this is no exception. I can't really find anything to fault it except it's a bit too long - it's well acted, witty and insightful blah blah. But even so I still came away feeling a little bit disappointed. Perhaps I was hoping it would be as good as Zodiac (fat chance of that!) or maybe it was because just before it I'd seen...

Maps to the Stars, which I absolutely loved and I wonder if it might just be David Cronenburg's best ever? It's a very smart and incisive black comedy satire - and a genuinely funny one too - on Hollywood greed, selfishness, flakiness, cynicism, phoniness and excess with an excellent cast and fine performances, esp from Julianne Moore and Mia Wasikowska. It's one of those films I think I'd get more out of and enjoy even more if I see it again. Undoubtedly one of this year's best films for me.

Last edited:
1. Stranger by the lake (L'Inconnu du lac)
2. The Grand Budapest Hotel
3. Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!
4. Two Days One Night (Deux Jours, une nuit)
5. Wild Life (Vie Sauvage)
6. The Tales of Hoffman

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tales_of_Hoffmann_(film)

restored version showing the London Film Festival - It is amazing! Not my normal cup of tea, an opera! But it is an amazing film.

6. The Tales of Hoffman

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tales_of_Hoffmann_(film)

restored version showing the London Film Festival - It is amazing! Not my normal cup of tea, an opera! But it is an amazing film.
mm, would love to see this at the pics. Wonderful film, it just looks magnificent. Again, not normally my cup of tea (opera type stuff), but ToH really is just awesome to watch.

If, by any chance, you can ever get to see Powell's Bluebeard's Castle, that's also surprisingly great (even more surprising as I really don't like Bartok normally).

Anyway, yesterday I went to see Ida. Paweł Last Resort/My Summer of Love Pawlikowski. Set in Poland in Polish this time, in 1962, about a young woman in a nunnery who discovers she is actually Jewish, and goes off with her - priest death sentencing - aunt to find out what happened to her parents. As you might imagine, it isn't really a barrel of laughs.

If you see it, do try and avoid the BBFC 'consumer advice' on the certificate, as it gives away a rather key bit of plot :facepalm:

Last edited:
What We Did On Our Holiday

Only because a friend is an extra in it (a very clear shot of her too) and we have cineworld cards so it didnt actually cost us anything.

Scotland looked very pretty, and it made us chortle a few times, with a couple of proper laughs. There are many far worse 95 minutes.

I took the Resident Teen to see Pride this afternoon :cool:
I really enjoyed it, funny and moving and a couple of proper teary moments (if you're a soppy old lefty like me) especially the women singing "Bread and Roses", and also when the Miners turn up to join the Pride march.

The film also provoked a LOT of questions about life and politics in the 80s which just reminded me how far away it all seems to a 15year old!

I took the Resident Teen to see Pride this afternoon :cool:
I really enjoyed it, funny and moving and a couple of proper teary moments (if you're a soppy old lefty like me) especially the women singing "Bread and Roses", and also when the Miners turn up to join the Pride march.
Spoilers!! :p

mm, would love to see this at the pics. Wonderful film, it just looks magnificent. Again, not normally my cup of tea (opera type stuff), but ToH really is just awesome to watch.

If, by any chance, you can ever get to see Powell's Bluebeard's Castle, that's also surprisingly great (even more surprising as I really don't like Bartok normally).

Anyway, yesterday I went to see Ida. Paweł Last Resort/My Summer of Love Pawlikowski. Set in Poland in Polish this time, in 1962, about a young woman in a nunnery who discovers she is actually Jewish, and goes off with her - priest death sentencing - aunt to find out what happened to her parents. As you might imagine, it isn't really a barrel of laughs.

If you see it, do try and avoid the BBFC 'consumer advice' on the certificate, as it gives away a rather key bit of plot :facepalm:
it is magnificent, didn't have a clue what was going on a lot of the time, totally bonkers, but enjoyed it immensely - I wondered if Elton John got his idea of his 'whacky' glasses from this film:D will check out Bluebeard's Castle:thumbs:

Under the skin
Before I Go To Sleep
The Grand Budapest Hotel

And tomorrow I'll be seeing Withnail & I for the first time on the big screenl

Seen a few things recently.

Pride -- really enjoyed this.

Northern Soul -- the plot's a bit predictable but the music, dancing and 70's feel were great. Was sold out too.

Maps to the Stars. Felt more traditional than a lot of Cronenberg's films but very enjoyable.

Gone Girl. Hadn't read the book but reasonable enough.

Ida. I was blown away by this. The best film I've seen this year. The atmosphere, the acting, the sadness, the cinematography, the understated script. A great film.

The Babadook, at The Ritzy.
Creepy Oz chiller about a tired mum and her disturbed child who find a scary book about a monster.
Well Freudian.
I wouldn't want watch it if I was a parent.

Also, The Babadook. A very good modern horror indeed. Plays with the genre traditions well, has a couple of cracking performances, and some real inventiveness and intensity.

I think all parents should see it. Just not with their children.

Back
Top Bottom