Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

List the films you've seen at the cinema: 2014

Under the Skin. Visually stunning, original, erotic. However, not sure what you'd make of it if you hadn't read the book/knew nothing about it going in and it is a little bit slow at times. Overall though, excellent film.
I wouldn't go as far as to say it's visually stunning - although some scenes are - but it's very well filmed and it does look good. Scarlet Johanson certainly looks good which is important because she holds your attention and does much to give the film an air of mystique - she was excellent. I read the novel it's based on some years ago and this is only a very loose adaptation of it - but I'm glad I had read it as it did give me a basic understanding of what was going on (and seeing this has made me want to revisit it). I liked how it managed to be both mundane and other-wordly at the same, and I think it's one that will stay in my mind for quite some time. Definitely well worth seeing.

Grand Budapest Hotel

Anderson's best for years, imo. Top notch all round, possibly my favourite Fiennes performance ever.

the most surreal thing tho, wasn't in the film, it was one of the trailers. For the Common Agricultural Policy.

Not seen it yet. Ur are Australian I think?

Not criticizing but what are the problems with Pilgers assumptions?

I do find Pilger a bit predictable. Not always wrong. But I did not pay a cinema ticket for it as I kind of know he is going to say how terrible it was. How the colonists/ settlers have always and still oppress the Aborigines. Probably throws in for good measure that all Australians are complicit in this. Whether they say so or not. I do find him unrelenting and totally humourless. He makes a good point then is so totally puritanically moral about it that it puts me off.

Or am I wrong?
I'm British but I've lived in Aus for the past 6 years.

You're kind of on the money, maybe a little harsh but I definitely wouldn't bother going to the cinema to see it.

Regarding my criticisms of Pilger's assumptions, a lot of it covers the same stuff that was gone over in this thread, so I won't go into a lot of detail but basically it's another case of multiculturalism being used to undermine class/material based analysis. IMO you see this a lot with Indigenous Australian issues, there's a focus on cultural respect (sorry rubbish term but I can't think if better one ATM) rather than on sorting out the dreadful material conditions that many IA's live in. For example one of the best bits in the film is where someone points out the cost of providing decent accommodation for all the IAs living in the NT would be peanuts in the federal budget, however, I've heard people (not in the film just in conversation) argue against the government providing such accommodation as it would be imposing "our culture" (whatever that means) on IAs, and "they" don't want that. Hope that answers your question.

-------------------------------------

Dallas Buyers Club - Pretty good, it's largely a one man show for Matthew McConaughey but I'm a fan of his. There's good support from Jared Leto and Jennifer Garner (who does very well with what is rather a nothing part). There's not too many surprises but it's entertaining enough.

-------------------------------------

Dallas Buyers Club - Pretty good, it's largely a one man show for Matthew McConaughey but I'm a fan of his. There's good support from Jared Leto and Jennifer Garner (who does very well with what is rather a nothing part). There's not too many surprises but it's entertaining enough.

Thanks for getting back on Pilger. Thats a lively thread you linked.;) . Interesting discussion.

I have just realized I did not put up my comments on Dallas Buyers Club here ( on the Brixton Ritzy thread). So here they are:

Two great performances from Matthew McConaughey as Ron and Jared Leto as Rayon. They held the film together.

There was interesting review in Evening Standard.

This points out that the real life Ron was a married bisexual. This has been written out. Ron in the film is a hard drinking homophobic redneck. It would have been interesting to have done a film about how a bisexual married man dealt with this illness. It would have been a more complex story.

The Big Pharma part of the plot did not work for me. I had friend who had AIDs in that period. I used to used visit him in hospital etc. So know about this subject.

AZT was not simply foisted on doctors by "Big Pharma". In the early days there was no treatment for AIDS. The treatments were for the opportunistic infections that people got due to weakened immune system.

I used to visit my friend in the AIDs ward at Middlesex hospital ( now demolished). I have nothing but praise for the doctors and nurses. It was crisis management of illness in that ward.

AZT did not go through full clinical trials. It was gay groups who campaigned for it to be offered as treatment. There is a bit in the film of TV footage of Act UP protestors with placards demanding AZT to be given to people. People were dying in hospital.

AZT in early days was offered with advice. There were side effects. Effectively patients and doctors were testing the drug as they went on. My friend did not take it. After a few years the combination of different drugs including AZT was developed.This is used now and means people can live relatively normal lives.

I think the Big Pharma plotline is more modern concept that has been overlayed on this story.

The most interesting character was Rayon ( Jared Leto). Accurate portrayal of how some people dealt with prospect of death. People did not want to die. Having seen people near death I can guarantee that its not something people embrace.

Watching the film to me brings back memories. But for the mainly younger audience its not something that they have directly experienced. Wondered what people made of it.

AIDS is now manageable illness. Jared Leto as Rayon had to lose a lot of weight to play the part. Its accurate but not something one sees now with better treatments.

The actual portrayal of the effects of the illness was accurate. In case its thought that some of it might have been exaggerated for purposes of drama. There is one bit were Ron has to stop his car in the street and has to be helped by his policeman friend. Thats how it was. Suddenly someone would collapse and you would have to get them to hospital.

It was something that I thought was one of the good things about the film. To clarify what was being portrayed was how the illness affected people before effective treatments were developed.

Grand Budapest Hotel

Anderson's best for years, imo. Top notch all round, possibly my favourite Fiennes performance ever.

the most surreal thing tho, wasn't in the film, it was one of the trailers. For the Common Agricultural Policy.

It was alright, the film not the trailer.

Under The Skin

I like Sci Fi films. This is particularly good. Reminded me of the writing of Gene Wolfe "The Fifth Head of Cerberus" in the way that it shows the weirdness of alien culture and how it might interact with humans. In Gene Wolfe part of the underlying story is that the humans might not have supplanted the alien culture they found on a planet but it might still be living among them.

Most Sci Fi is basically like our present social and political problems discussed in a future history. Or taking an issue of our time ( over population, environmental catastrophe ) and taking it to extreme. This , like Gene Wolfe, takes it that an alien culture might not be understandable to us.

This film shows an alien culture interacting with ours. Scarlet is excellent in this. Particularly chilling is the scene on the beach. One realizes how the aliens have a completely different moral standpoint.

Why the aliens do what they do is never explained. I liked this. The film is not an alien invasion film. They have no wish to take over.

What it does say about the present is the general feeling of alienation of people. Quite disturbing.

And I agree with previous posters it strangely erotic. In a way that links eroticism with death.

Just out of The Zero Theorem.

It's a Gilliam movie, so it looks great. Enjoyable performances, Matt Damon especially, and several really good little bits. But, overall it was insufficiently engaging and just Brazil lite.

Under the Skin.

I haven't read the book, but it wasn't as hard to follow as I feared it might be - got a little confusing around the middle, but then made sense again. Even when it was rather perplexing (ie, most of it) it was engrossing. I dont think it entirely worked, it was so bloody dark for one thing, but when it was good it was great. The hidden camera bits with 'real' Glaswegians were great, a marvelous advert for the city.

Under The Skin

I like Sci Fi films. This is particularly good. Reminded me of the writing of Gene Wolfe "The Fifth Head of Cerberus" in the way that it shows the weirdness of alien culture and how it might interact with humans. In Gene Wolfe part of the underlying story is that the humans might not have supplanted the alien culture they found on a planet but it might still be living among them.

Most Sci Fi is basically like our present social and political problems discussed in a future history. Or taking an issue of our time ( over population, environmental catastrophe ) and taking it to extreme. This , like Gene Wolfe, takes it that an alien culture might not be understandable to us.

This film shows an alien culture interacting with ours. Scarlet is excellent in this. Particularly chilling is the scene on the beach. One realizes how the aliens have a completely different moral standpoint.

Why the aliens do what they do is never explained. I liked this. The film is not an alien invasion film. They have no wish to take over.

What it does say about the present is the general feeling of alienation of people. Quite disturbing.

And I agree with previous posters it strangely erotic. In a way that links eroticism with death.
"Strangely erotic"? Scarlet gets her kit off every 15 minutes. Mystery solved.

I have just seen Under The Skin also.
I thought it was stunning.
I loved the book but the film is only a very loose adaptation.
Scarlett Johansen is great but really not how I imagined the girl to look like.
The score is so good that it almost feels like the film hangs around it rather than the other way round.
My friend didn't like it as much and found it boring and confusing, so maybe you need to read the book first.

I have just seen Under The Skin also.
I thought it was stunning.
I loved the book but the film is only a very loose adaptation.
Scarlett Johansen is great but really not how I imagined the girl to look like.
The score is so good that it almost feels like the film hangs around it rather than the other way round.
My friend didn't like it as much and found it boring and confusing, so maybe you need to read the book first.

I'm boycotting the racist Johansen so, I hope she starts getting shit films.

One of the best films I have seen recently. And worth seeing in a cinema rather than on DVD.

Its not to long and well shot. A few recent films I have seen have been imo self indulgent in there length. This film shows how its done.

Its a film that is still in my head. Not sure what to make of it. Its very odd film. ( I like odd films.)Not sure whether its critical of aspects of gay life or whether that is the point of the film at all.

Well I propose the following as the point:

The point is imo that its a discussion about the differences between sexual desire , love and friendship. Aspects of life that affect "straights" and gays.

Friendship wins hands down. In that sense the film is not ambiguous. The ending is the horror (like Brando in Apocalypse Now).

Thinking on it the gay aspect of the film is a way to build a closed world to enable this to be portrayed.

There is a feeling that this all takes place outside everyday life. ( I had to remember that in France basically no one works in August).

It kind of reminded me of Greek plays. It is stylized. The lake, beach and woods all have there role to play in the film.
The person I went to see it with said; 'it's not often you get to see a 6 foot cock ' which I think sums it up nicely. : )

I know what you mean. I thought the score was stunning and so important to the film. The way you couldn't tell sometimes whether it was soundtrack or 'actual' sound just added to the whole air of confusion and uncertainty.

Grand Budapest Hotel

Saw it tonight, was excellent - and the CAP advert was truly wtf! :D

I saw Grand Budapest Hotel last week but there were no CAP adverts. Disappointed :( It is an amazing film though, LOVED IT.

Going to see it again in April at the wonderful Rex in Berkhamsted. I rang 377 times yesterday morning before finally getting through to the box office! *REDIALREDIALREDIALREDIAL*

Wolf of Wall Street a few weeks ago,really enjoyed it,not a big fan of the guy but DiCaprio has really matured as an actor impressed by his performance,def left his Titanic teeny idol days behind.....

Orphee and La Belle et la Bete double bill. The only version of LBELA I'd seen before was really scratched and with ropey sound so seeing a restored version at the cinema was great. :cool:

I saw Grand Budapest Hotel last week but there were no CAP adverts. Disappointed :( It is an amazing film though, LOVED IT.

Going to see it again in April at the wonderful Rex in Berkhamsted. I rang 377 times yesterday morning before finally getting through to the box office! *REDIALREDIALREDIALREDIAL*
Amongst many other things, I loved the contrast of the wonderful hotel building with the gruesome 1960s orange wallpaper. Whole thing was beautifully filmed, beautifully acted.

I did not see the CAP advert mentioned by other posters at my local cinema either. Do not know why.

The link to the Rex is most interesting. Looks like a wonderful restoration. There are not many cinemas left that have not been chopped up into multiplex cinemas.

Sadly the Renoir in London is next to be chopped up into multiplex.

I would still get in the van.

According to director they did go around Glasgow in a van with Scarlet in a wig picking up men ( not actors). Director did not say which bits of film are non actors. They had to get signed consent for scenes to be used in film. Not surprisingly most of the men did not give consent.

Yes I would get in the van. :D

Back
Top Bottom