Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Let's share our particular Top50 bands

Thinking back the two bands I've seen live the most times are Led Zeppelin nine times and the Pink Fairies countless times. Loved it all.
Saw Kate and Anna and their line up twice and they were superb...never understood why they weren't more widely known.

Well I said I wouldn't but here are some New Orleans/Dixieland/Blues/Swing bands from the 20's/30's that cause me to have fixations. It's a bit complicated in this period as people are constantly hopping in and out of each others bands and I'm definitely missing many formations. View this as a quick introduction.

Jelly Roll Morton and his Red Hot Peppers
Southern Synocpated Orchestra
The Eagle Band of New Orleans
Original Creole Orchestra
Jimmy Noone's Apex Club Band
Bunk Johnson and his Superior Jazz Band
Freddie Keppard's Jazz Cardinals
King Oliver's Creole Jazz Band
Henry "Red" Allen and his New York Orchestra
Sidney Bechet and His New Orleans Feetwarmers
Bennie Moten's Kansas City Orchestra
Paul Whiteman Orchestra
Original Dixieland Jazz Band
Bix Beiderbecke and His Gang
Red Nichols and His Five Pennies
Fats Waller and His Rhythm
Kid Ory & Creole Jazz Band
Louis Armstrong and His Hot Five/Hot Seven
Duke Ellington Orchestra
Fletcher Henderson and his Orchestra
Count Basie Orchestra
The Georgia Jazz Band
Bessie Smith Band
Mamie Smith and her Jazz Band

If somebody mentions the name "Sidney Bechet" I can hear them at a thousand yards and I'll be there in 28 seconds.

There's about 200 bands from the late 50's to early 70's period that give me similar fixations, another 100 or so from late 70's to 80's, another 50 or so from 90's onwards. Not sure if it's worth trying to list them all especially as I would be leaving out tons of formations that are just named after the band leader - eg. Howlin' Wolf or just various solo artists/duos etc. Also listing them would have to come with notes such as The Who (but only in the 60's) and Led Zeppelin (but only the third album).

Last edited:
  1. Proton Pump Inhibitors (stern EBM from Chichester)
  2. Thee Luftwaffe Thinmints
  3. myrahindleyburgdisaster
  4. Colins
  5. Surgery Bombshells
  6. Thee Jane Horrocks
  7. Bury St Edmunds Divorce Unit
  8. Japanese Knotweed
  9. Habermas and the Public Sphere
  10. The Perfecitonists
  11. Dead Metaphors
  12. Chocolate Fireguards
  13. The Moon on a Stick
  14. Bollocks on Wheels
  15. Solicitors on Wheels
  16. Bollocks on Stilts
  17. Stilton Wheels (jangly indie from Mumbai)
  18. George Is In The Fridge And We Can’t Get Him Out (Nu-motorik meets free-form collectivist jazz from the founders of the Grimsby School)
  19. Derek on Wednesday
  20. Your Mum on Thursday
  21. The Tuesday Welders
  22. Without Prejudice and Subject to Contract
  23. New Age Sex Freaks (half a dozen denim-clad psych-rock jamming mountain-dwelling longhairs from West Virginia that change their name to Acid Grassland when the lead singer’s wife, an earth mother hippy called Flower (real name) joins in on flute)
  24. Nigel and Susan (6-piece crushingly heavy doom/sludge metal outfit from Northampton, obvs)
  25. Blanket Condemnation
  26. The Water Table
  27. Pregnancy
  28. Cars You Never See Anymore
  29. Chairman Mao’s Handwriting
  30. The Plan marked ‘A’ on the Copy Provided (‘Angular statistical analysis rock at its most angular and statistical. And analytical.’ – Shittocks fanzine)
  31. Barbara L’Arbre and her Macabre Candelabras
  32. Penoid Inexactitude (Californian thrashcore punk)
  33. Gonadic Catastrophe (Californian thrashcore punk)
  34. Testosteronal Demolition (Californian thrashcore punk)
  35. Venetta Get Back in the Pram (Stereolab-influenced pop from Gothenborg)
  36. The Deep Vein Thrombosis Band

37. Ultrabuttocks (Ozric Tentacles meets ramshackle but enthusiastic squat party techno, the band decked out in pound shop “cyber” stylings featuring the post-ironic use of tinfoil as a signifier for “future”) (Their new, and so far only, album ‘WARNING – ULTRABUTTOCKS’ was mired for years in a legal dispute regarding the band’s name (see below) but should be released on Laxative Tapes ‘soon’.)
  38. Expecting White Space – debut album Elucidating the Vibrational Fingerprint of the Flexible Metal–Organic Framework out ‘soon’ on Haemorrhoid Industries
  39. Eileen and Wendy (Britain’s only 75-piece orchestra of plastic spoons)
  40. International Sex Brigades
  41. Show Me The Invoices
  42. False Vacuum Fiascos
  43. £10.64
  44. £9.62
  45. £8.33
  46. £1,000,000
  47. Priests of Nothingness (6-piece crushingly heavy doom/sludge metal outfit from Leeds, obvs)
  48. Traffic Signal Faults (jangly doom/sludge metal from Bolton)
  49. Ablaut Reduplicants (more post-ironic grot party futurism, but this time the band members are festooned with bits of old circuit boards and red LEDs) (rumoured to consist entirely of members of Ultrabuttocks but because everybody including the band(s) has been so out of it when they’ve played, nobody’s entirely sure)
  50. Migratory Toads
  51. Lower Back Pain
  52. Bradley Walsh’s Ultrabuttocks (after a lengthy, costly and ultimately futile legal argument with the 'original’ Ultrabuttocks as to who came up with the name first (of which the Ultrabuttocks mentioned above have been entirely unaware from start to finish due to being so out of it), lawyers for both sides agreed on this name as a suitable compromise.) (Bradley Walsh was unavailable for comment yesterday.)
  53. Pruritis Ani (who, perhaps inevitably, have released a cassette of lo-fi harsh noise (‘Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc’) with a grainily photocopied monochrome cover featuring a photo of two unsmiling young men standing in front of a war memorial) (initial copies included a signed certificate of meaninglessness)

4. Colins
  5. Surgery Bombshells
  6. Thee Jane Horrocks
  8. Japanese Knotweed
  10. The Perfecitonists
  11. Dead Metaphors
  12. Chocolate Fireguards
  13. The Moon on a Stick
  14. Bollocks on Wheels
  15. Solicitors on Wheels
  16. Bollocks on Stilts
  18. George Is In The Fridge And We Can’t Get Him Out (Nu-motorik meets free-form collectivist jazz from the founders of the Grimsby School)
  19. Derek on Wednesday
  20. Your Mum on Thursday
  21. The Tuesday Welders
  23. New Age Sex Freaks (half a dozen denim-clad psych-rock jamming mountain-dwelling longhairs from West Virginia that change their name to Acid Grassland when the lead singer’s wife, an earth mother hippy called Flower (real name) joins in on flute)
  24. Nigel and Susan (6-piece crushingly heavy doom/sludge metal outfit from Northampton, obvs)
  25. Blanket Condemnation
  26. The Water Table
  27. Pregnancy
  30. The Plan marked ‘A’ on the Copy Provided (‘Angular statistical analysis rock at its most angular and statistical. And analytical.’ – Shittocks fanzine)

37. Ultrabuttocks (Ozric Tentacles meets ramshackle but enthusiastic squat party techno, the band decked out in pound shop “cyber” stylings featuring the post-ironic use of tinfoil as a signifier for “future”) (Their new, and so far only, album ‘WARNING – ULTRABUTTOCKS’ was mired for years in a legal dispute regarding the band’s name (see below) but should be released on Laxative Tapes ‘soon’.)
  38. Expecting White Space – debut album Elucidating the Vibrational Fingerprint of the Flexible Metal–Organic Framework out ‘soon’ on Haemorrhoid Industries
  41. Show Me The Invoices
  42. False Vacuum Fiascos
  43. £10.64
  44. £9.62
  45. £8.33
  46. £1,000,000
  47. Priests of Nothingness (6-piece crushingly heavy doom/sludge metal outfit from Leeds, obvs)
  49. Ablaut Reduplicants (more post-ironic grot party futurism, but this time the band members are festooned with bits of old circuit boards and red LEDs) (rumoured to consist entirely of members of Ultrabuttocks but because everybody including the band(s) has been so out of it when they’ve played, nobody’s entirely sure)
  50. Migratory Toads
  51. Lower Back Pain
  52. Bradley Walsh’s Ultrabuttocks (after a lengthy, costly and ultimately futile legal argument with the 'original’ Ultrabuttocks as to who came up with the name first (of which the Ultrabuttocks mentioned above have been entirely unaware from start to finish due to being so out of it), lawyers for both sides agreed on this name as a suitable compromise.) (Bradley Walsh was unavailable for comment yesterday.)
  53. Pruritis Ani (who, perhaps inevitably, have released a cassette of lo-fi harsh noise (‘Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc’) with a grainily photocopied monochrome cover featuring a photo of two unsmiling young men standing in front of a war memorial) (initial copies included a signed certificate of meaninglessness)

ULTRABUTTOCKS

🤣🤣

(Eta apologies for my very childish sense of humour)

4. Colins
  5. Surgery Bombshells
  6. Thee Jane Horrocks
  8. Japanese Knotweed
  10. The Perfecitonists
  11. Dead Metaphors
  12. Chocolate Fireguards
  13. The Moon on a Stick
  14. Bollocks on Wheels
  15. Solicitors on Wheels
  16. Bollocks on Stilts
  19. Derek on Wednesday
  20. Your Mum on Thursday
  21. The Tuesday Welders
  25. Blanket Condemnation
  26. The Water Table
  27. Pregnancy

41. Show Me The Invoices
  42. False Vacuum Fiascos
  43. £10.64
  44. £9.62
  45. £8.33
  46. £1,000,000
  50. Migratory Toads
  51. Lower Back Pain
I’m shocked you could still have Derek on Wednesday on that list considering his 1987 disgrace.

ohh, just because if I am being rude about toher peoples' taste in music, I should put my own up for ridicule (not that I give a fuck about what any of you fuckfaces think, obvs)

Hawkwind
The Teardrop Explodes
XTC
Magazine
Television
Joy Division
Echo & the Bunnymen
The Fall
Fugazi
Shellac

Big Black
The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Belly
Add N To X
The Cure
Black Sabbath
Neu!
Can
Mogwai
Orbital

Super Furry Animals
Moon Duo
Pulp
Drive By Truckers
Neil Young & Crazy Horse
Alice Cooper
The Pixies
The Breeders
Motorhead
Fuck Buttons

Little Chief
Nirvana
Mudhoney
The White Stripes
Sigur Ros
Siouxsie & the Banshees
The Auteurs
The Clash
Sex Pistols
The Selector

Husker Du
Inner City Unit
Iggy & the Stooges
Big Brother & the Holding Company
The Cramps
Spacemen 3
PIL
Space for
Three other bands
I've undoubtedly and stupidly forgotten

such as

eels
mclusky
Wire(!)
Low

There is no good reason for not including most 'solo' acts as loads are bands as much as some of the above, not to mention those jazz artists who had various incredible bands that it would be remiss to exclude. They would include

Bob Dylan
Joni Mitchell
Roy Harper
Nick Cave
Ezra Furman
Prince (& whoever)
Miles Davis
Thelonious Monk
Charlie Parker
John Coltrane
Linton Kwesi Johnson
David Bowie