Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Let's have a class thread! It'll be fun!

ymu

Niall Ferguson's deep-cover sock-puppet
Unlike most class threads, I'm going to start with a definition of what I mean by class.

In common with the majority of posts on class threads, the definition I'm using it a bit ... well, different.

So is this one 'different' in a good way or a bad way, and how would you deal with it snappily to cover what you consider the core issues?

---------

If your fortunes are pegged to continued generous patronage by the financial and political elites, then you are middle class.

If your working life more resembles the purchase, warehousing, sale and disposal of an inanimate commodity, then you are working-class.

But anyone who has to work for a living is working-class by definition, so it's up to you to work out which side your bread is really buttered.

---------

I'm not saying it's a great start, but there are places I post where if you use the word class, people get all weird and the Citizen Smith gags come out (yeah, it's an old crowd, which makes it even worse). It inhibits discussion to lack a clear and simple definition that any apolitical fool can grasp.

Halp?

ymu said:
It inhibits discussion to lack a clear and simple definition that any apolitical fool can grasp.

I'm not sure exactly what level of understanding you are aiming this at. At work if I have to explain something to someone who knows nothing about what I am trying to explain I really have to use terminology they will understand too. No point using fancy pants words or terminology if you want to be fully understood.

If your fortunes are pegged to continued generous patronage by the financial and political elites, then you are middle class.

ymu said:
If your working life more resembles the purchase, warehousing, sale and disposal of an inanimate commodity, then you are working-class.

I don't think those are clear and simple definitions. But then I am an apolitical fool.

Unlike most class threads, I'm going to start with a definition of what I mean by class.

In common with the majority of posts on class threads, the definition I'm using it a bit ... well, different.

So is this one 'different' in a good way or a bad way, and how would you deal with it snappily to cover what you consider the core issues?

---------

But anyone who has to work for a living is working-class by definition, so it's up to you to work out which side your bread is really buttered.

---------

I'm not saying it's a great start, but there are places I post where if you use the word class, people get all weird and the Citizen Smith gags come out (yeah, it's an old crowd, which makes it even worse). It inhibits discussion to lack a clear and simple definition that any apolitical fool can grasp.

Halp?

i don't know why you think that you have to be 'political' to grasp the fairly clear and simple definitions of class which abound.

What's so great about being working class, anyway? All the supposed working classes round here go around talking like their shit can't stink, use middle class as a not-so-veiled insult to imply any number of vaguely defined defects of charecter & lack of backbone, and generally think they are better than everyone else because their parents didn't have much money. Strangely, it seems no matter how poor I get in adulthood, I will always be "middle class" due to my background. Conversely, no matter how upwardly mobile many urbanites become, because of their "roots" (lol) they can lay claim to a proper "working class upbringing" and can snort derisively at anyone who hasn't had same.

What's up with that, yo?

What's so great about being working class, anyway? All the supposed working classes round here go around talking like their shit can't stink, use middle class as a not-so-veiled insult to imply any number of vaguely defined defects of charecter & lack of backbone, and generally think they are better than everyone else because their parents didn't have much money. Strangely, it seems no matter how poor I get in adulthood, I will always be "middle class" due to my background. Conversely, no matter how upwardly mobile many urbanites become, because of their "roots" (lol) they can lay claim to a proper "working class upbringing" and can snort derisively at anyone who hasn't had same.

What's up with that, yo?
'yo'? what the fuck?

No capitals or punctuation either. Hell I do it, but if you want to pull people up about spelling and grammar, you'd better be faultless yourself. :)

I find that those who do not know the difference between 'your' and 'you're' are at the poor side of shabby

Is working clase defined by not being able to spell you're?

No. Middle-class is calling a homophonic mental-typo as evidence of illiteracy, in the absence of anything more convincing than mindless snobbery in their armoury.

Back
Top Bottom