Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Let's go foraging

I've lately been having recurring unsavoury thoughts about feeding multicoloured mushrooms to annoying elderly dinner guests.

I’ve got some turned up growing in pots with my agapanthus. Can’t decide whether to eat it or keep it as ornamental.

7ALlrvk.jpg

John drinks in my local (well it was the local , and one day will hopefully rise again) , he gets beer in exchange for foraged stuff . He's on Instagram (johnthepoacher) and does foraging walks around our local marshes (Walthamstow/Leyton/Hackney) . He's a nice chap.

I have this Chinese cookbook from the '50s that has a dandelion recipe. IIRC it says "put them in a pan with lard, stir on high heat for a few minutes, and serve".

There's also recipes for about thirty other plants and vegetables that are all exactly the same thing.

Can we talk about dandelions here please? I want to know about deep frying them

Chilli.s SheilaNaGig ATOMIC SUPLEX

You can do them the same way as elderflower fritters or courgettes flowers.

Use some light batter, tempura is good, and deep fry them.

Or just toss them about hot oil for a few minutes til they crisp up. You can do this with marigold flowers too. Sunflower oil works better then olive oil for flowers.

The lard thing is too heavy in my opinion. Although, using goose grease or lard as a solvent (or bear grease if you’re a US pioneer) is a good way to extract and store the medicinal properties.

When using dandelion flowers for food, clip off the stem really close to the flower to avoid the latex sap, which is bitter. And taken off th bracts too, if you can be bothered, because they’re bitter too. (The bracts are those leaf-like bits that’s are just beneath the flower, like a collar or ruff.

Like all daisies, dandelion flowers close up at the end of the day (day’s eye) so if you put them in your fridge, they’ll close up. Harvest them when they’re still vibrant and young, they go over to seed very fast and will do so if they can once they’re picked.

One of the amazing things about the Daisy family is that each flower head is actually a whole confederacy of tiny individual flowers. So if you break apart a dandelion flower, or a daisy, or any member of the daisy family, it will separate into individual flowers, and each of those separate flowers will become a separate seed. When the dandelion flower turns into a fluffy dandelion clock, each of those little parachute seeds started off as a separate flower.

The fried heads are great. A light spicy batter, washed thoroughly, green bits around the bottom of the flower head picked off, dipped in the batter, chucked in the small frying pan, 5 mins. or so. They could also be added to roast veg about 10 mins. from the end in the oven.

SheliaNG has covered everything I would have said far more eloquently and quicker than me. (thanks).

When I was little my parents went through a wine making phase. We gathered the heads one year for some concoction they brewed up over the months to make what was a palatable wine, although deemed to be too fiddly to bother repeating (so I'm told).

Dried, the flowers can also be used for a tea.

The roots can be roasted and used to make some kind of coffee.

I'd eat that going by looks alone. What did it taste like? Salad cream or mayo?
Just had the heads and leaves with a mushroom and some mini plumb tomatoes. . . . Oh and a thin bit of cream cheese. I kind of wished I'd kept it as just the dandelion so I could really taste it. . . but I was a bit chicken.
Anyway, it was very tasty indeed. I just has some more, but the big leaves only, ran out of heads. Just wish I hadn't chucked a load of these away the other day. I could have probably filled up a salad bag full every day.

That looks like an excellent lunch ATOMIC SUPLEX

Dandelion greens are great! An easy tasty healthy addition to pretty much anything. I really like the bitterness of them, it cuts across rich food like buttery mushrooms on toast really well. And sprinkling the broken flower over the top adds colour and fun to anything.

Leave some flowers for the bees though, don’t think take them all. Dandelion flowers are an importantly early food source for them, and of course for seeds for more dandelions.

If you can leave some to grow where they don’t get cut down, a fully grown dandelion plant is a magnificent thing. The leaves can be as high as your knee, with the bright yellow flowers standing straight up in the middle on its sturdy stalk. The rosette lays flat to the ground where they get mown over, but left to their own devices they are upright, like a tall crown.

The older leaves are tougher and more bitter, so take the younger ones. If you keep some growing by the back door you can harvest a few from each plant every day without harming the plant.

Like all “weeds” they’re very forgiving and resilient, can grow between the cracks, in dry heat, deep shade etc. If they weren’t so prolific we’d work hard to cultivate them: early leaves, gorgeous bright yellow flowers, and fabulous fluffy white seed heads.

Back
Top Bottom