Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Let's go foraging

Got loads of these in the garden. I've got little kids. Anything to be concerned about? [...]
Unless they are really little, you already have enough information to start teaching them not to take stupid risks. We took a five-year old out foraging at the weekend, and did lots of explaining why 'look but don't touch and certainly don't eat' is a good rule of thumb unless you know what you're looking at .

Got loads of these in the garden. I've got little kids. Anything to be concerned about? (I know nothing about mushrooms).

View attachment 187811
I'll post this on a mycology forum - conocybe ?
Unfortunately a lot of "little brown jobs" can be quite unpleasant.
A shame to remove wild plants, but they aren't rare and most of the fungus is under the ground and won't be harmed by removing the fruiting bodies.

A nice little patch of wood mushrooms.
IMG-20191022-090301508.jpg

IMG-20191022-090312711.jpg

Sadly I had no handy bag to carry them in. Hopefully they'll still be there tomorrow...

I assume it has brown gills and smells nice ?
It looks like it's yellowing a bit - perhaps microwave or hot water ?

Looks like you're probably fine - I was sure there was a nasty similarly cuboid mushroom ...

agarics.png

Last edited:
I haven't spotted any hygrocybes this year in my usual spots - I can't say I'm enthusiastic - not least because I don't eat butter.

Well, in the absence of anything edible ...
I've found a few Shaggy inkcaps at work in good condition, but am too squeamish.
Freakishly elusive, fungi... no sign, then they're a soggy mess...

Well, in the absence of anything edible ...
I've found a few Shaggy inkcaps at work in good condition, but am too squeamish.
Freakishly elusive, fungi... no sign, then they're a soggy mess...

If you catch them early and cook em quick they're lovely. Just fried in butter and a touch of garlic.

Near to the Amethyst deceiver, a deceptively purple mushroom (actually chestnut brown, but my phone camera turned it purple. The underside is faint mauve though.
Quite a few of them under the same oak tree.
BMS tentative confirmation of Blewit.

I'm still not about to eat 'em though ...

outdoorpurple.jpg underoutdoors.jpg

I've watched video after video about blewits now and none of them feature ones with chestnut brown caps.
I left that cap in my drawer at work sitting on a sheet of paper ...

Funnily enough, I'm currently expecting to be diagnosed with slight kidney issues - perhaps an asymptomatic UTI and it had me worrying about the couple of pickled mushrooms I ate the other day !

Back
Top Bottom