Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Let's go foraging

having not read the thread can anyone enlighten me on the morality/ownership issues of "foraging"?

are fruit trees in a public area allowable for scrumping or no? :hmm:

having not read the thread can anyone enlighten me on the morality/ownership issues of "foraging"?

I do. Found some plum trees. Might as well take advantage of this mask wearing :oldthumbsup:

Last year we found some avocado trees growing at the side of the road going to an isolated beach. Now all we need to do is remember which one. Free avos fresh from the tree...

Last edited:
L Asturias year we found some avocado trees growing at the side of the road going to an isolated beach. Now all we need to do is remember which one. Free avos fresh from the tree...
There is a huge one next to one of my local bars and two nespra trees. There's lots of fig trees along the lanes here as well and pomegranate trees .

There is a huge one next to one of my local bars and two nespra trees.
I've always wanted to try medlars - since discovering that accidentally bletted pears are nice with muesli... I'm forever chewing on similar rosacea fruits when out and about, but they're always bland ...

EDIT:- I'm guessing you're actually referring to loquat ?

When we were kids scrumping was the thing to do . Everyone did it some people would just leave fruit outside the back alleys with a note saying 'take these but dont come in the garden'. I remeber one year we broke into a big conservatory in the posh houses at the top end of where we lived and took load of grapes and the owner came out with an air rifle and started taking shots at us as we climbed over the walls.

I've always wanted to try medlars - since discovering that accidentally bletted pears are nice with muesli... I'm forever chewing on similar rosacea fruits when out and about, but they're always bland ...
God knows where you find those. There was a time when I used to see medlar trees advertised in seed and fruit magazines along with quinces ( which there are loads of here they make them into 'marmalade' to have with cheese)

I'm somewhat annoyed that I'm back at work and not only did they prune the lower branches off the mulberry tree, it appears to have been a hopelessly bad year for them ...

Sadly the yellow plum tree at work apparently lost all its blossom this year - not one fruit :(
There are unripe walnuts falling off the tree in the park though ... :hmm:

There is a huge one next to one of my local bars and two nespra trees. There's lots of fig trees along the lanes here as well and pomegranate trees .
At our friend's there's a nespra tree that no-one ever bothers with. There's also a lemon tree, you can reach the lemons from the bedroom. There's an orange tree, but it's Sevilla oranges. Figs are everywhere, you often see them dropping onto the floor because there's so many no-one can be bothered with them. The problem with the figs is that they are often in peoples gardens and overhanging the street.

I have a huge blackberry and honeysuckle hedge at the end of my allotment which fronts the street...and is usually picked clean on the public side (I tend to leave it because I planted it for bird nesting...although that has been my nemesis). Whilst sitting in my shed with a cup of tea, I was amazed to see a long, hooked pole (like those projector screen poles) poke over the top and hook branches over to the street side. I never actually saw who was doing it cos I attached the hose and gave them a blast (they fucked off sharpish). .Someone comes and picks the roses, which lean over the fence at the other end, every year. And the plums. I don't really mind - it was the fact that someone had come ready prepared for fruit robbery which boiled my piss a bit

Yeah I always try to take a big stick or umbrella out brambling etc. Nicking fruit from inside the hedge on someone's allotment is taking the piss though!

Back
Top Bottom