Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Let's go foraging

View attachment 230919

There's sea buckthorn-a-plenty round here. I might make some jelly.
Did you get anywhere with your jelly making? I’m just on my second hawthorn batch and picking them has been irksome. There are a few sea buckthorns I could probably get a pound or two of berries off, where I walk the dog, but I’m not sure I can be bothered; they’re so spikey.

Did you get anywhere with your jelly making? I’m just on my second hawthorn batch and picking them has been irksome. There are a few sea buckthorns I could probably get a pound or two of berries off, where I walk the dog, but I’m not sure I can be bothered; they’re so spikey.

Go on, supposedly it's some kind of superfood! I haven't made any yet but I still plan to.

How does the hawthorn jelly taste? I saw a hugh-fearnley whittenstall recipe for haw sin sauce I've been considering giving a try.

Go on, supposedly it's some kind of superfood! I haven't made any yet but I still plan to.

How does the hawthorn jelly taste? I saw a hugh-fearnley whittenstall recipe for haw sin sauce I've been considering giving a try.

They’re not quite ripe yet, the sea buckthorn, or not where I was.

Haws are ripe and I harvested about a bucket full, which isn’t enough for my needs. I’ll get more this weekend, I hope.

I made some excellent rosehip syrup with Rosa rugosa hips. Very delicious.

I planted a Rosa canina in my garden this year, for the hips. Also an elder and a Guelder rose, both for the berries. As a Londoner who needs to travel to get them, I always seem to miss the optimal moment for elderberries so I thought if have one in my garden I’ll have a better chance.

Last edited:
What a fucking boring dreary ball ache...
View attachment 231407
Topping and tailing the rosehips. At least they smell lovely. 😬

What are you making?

I don’t bother with any of that. Tops n tails not toxic and since you have to strain out the seeds and hairs at some point it seems pointless to me to remove the tops and tails.

Also, waste! After harvesting, I don’t want to throw out any smidgen that I can use. Tops and tails inevitably carry part of the fruit away with them.

What are you making?

I don’t bother with any of that. Tops n tails not toxic and since you have to strain out the seeds and hairs at some point it seems pointless to me to remove the tops and tails.

Also, waste! After harvesting, I don’t want to throw out any smidgen that I can use. Tops and tails inevitably carry part of the fruit away with them.
Yeah thanks for that particularly timely advice re tops and tails. I’d just been thinking the same. I was and am jelly making with some apple and of course, as you say, the tough bits will get strained in the tea towel.

Yeah thanks for that particularly timely advice re tops and tails. I’d just been thinking the same. I was and am jelly making with some apple and of course, as you say, the tough bits will get strained in the tea towel.

Sorry. I didn’t see your post til just now, otherwise I would have been straight in with the “dont bother”s.

what are you making with your haws? Think I'm going to try the HFW's haw ketchup

I save them for medicine throughout the year, that’s the priority. But I want more so I can make some syrup, and some jam. The ketchup looks good too. And if I get enough I’d like to try some leather (although I say that every year and I’ve not yet tried that...)

Rosehip and apple jelly. V pleased with this batch, which was much heavier on the hips. Added a couple peeled quartered lemons for pectin, and a few red currents that were in the freezer.

Attachments

• B59EE63B-E574-4056-BD76-ECAFE497B6D6.jpeg
    B59EE63B-E574-4056-BD76-ECAFE497B6D6.jpeg
    349.9 KB · Views: 6
I made a vodka elderberry in mid august. K thought I'd still have time for more ...I went back 10 days ago and they're all gone over ...damn

Loads of haws and hips ...I've already made a small batch of rose hip syrup...it was a bit if a faff ....I could be bothered to make hips and haws vodka and just strain it I suppose

Yeah I think that would work. (sounds lovely).
Where I am, hips and haws are both going over. I’m considering getting a last pound or two for Christmas present vodka.. But then again dog and I are both utterly tired of me picking them.

Third and final haw jelly for this year.
Where I live there’s a lot of hawthorn, both as hedging along pathways, and random trees in fields. I’ve always planned to pick them but never bothered before this year because haws don’t taste particularly interesting and are fiddly to pick.
Anyway, with the abundance on the trees this year and 2020 argh, I actually bothered. And have been so surprised by how aromatic and delicious they are once cooked and sweetened.
7FA5B1CB-E59F-4B94-A4AA-A7EB55C419D6.jpeg

ROSEHIP VODKA.
I’m just straining this now. Never made it before. Can I just strain it as I do sloes or do I need to do extra filtering because of the itchy hairs inside the berries?

ROSEHIP VODKA.
I’m just straining this now. Never made it before. Can I just strain it as I do sloes or do I need to do extra filtering because of the itchy hairs inside the berries?
Best put through a coffee filter or two as you are right the little hairs can irritate the gut.

In the local park today, well away from the dog walkers, I got a pretty decent haul of wood ears and sacrlet elf cups. I was hoping to get more grey oysters as I saw some last week, but no luck today.IMG_20210128_160438092.jpg

I also saw some turkey tail, but I wasn't 100% sure as I've never considered it an eater. I'm a little more convinced now after reading up on IDs, so I might pop back tomorrow.

IMG_20210128_135935437.jpg

In the local park today, well away from the dog walkers, I got a pretty decent haul of wood ears and sacrlet elf cups. I was hoping to get more grey oysters as I saw some last week, but no luck today.View attachment 251786

I also saw some turkey tail, but I wasn't 100% sure as I've never considered it an eater. I'm a little more convinced now after reading up on IDs, so I might pop back tomorrow.

View attachment 251784

What perfectly descriptive names they have. What will you do with them? I’ve always been too cautious to pick mushrooms, in case I get it wrong.

Back
Top Bottom