Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Let's go foraging

Woah, that's pretty early, isn't it? Maybe it comes later this far west.
I looked back at my (sort of) diary and this year was a few days later than last year and the year before. But I find different spots pop at different times, so I rotate round a selection of woods as the season goes on. I'll go up into the valleys and north facing woods as the season comes to an end, as it'll still be fresh up there later.

Got a recipe for that, nogojones ?
A bit of a rough one as it's made up on the hoof....

3lb of napa
2lb of wild garlic
8 tbls salt
half cup water

Veg:
6oz mooli cut into matchsticks
1 medium carrot - matchsticks
a bunch of spring onions chopped
3 or 4 red chillis cut into slices
half a bunch of chinese garlic chives (optional)

Paste:

2 tbls riceflour (normal flour works as well)
1 cup of veg stock
I use some shitake mushrooms (3 or 4) and some seaweed and a tbls of miso to add to the stock - but you can just get away with the stock
1 tbls of sugar
10 cloves of garlic
an inch or two of ginger
1 onion
1/2 to 1 cup of chilli flakes
1 tbls paprika
2 tbls salt

Cut and salt the napa in a big bowl, with a little but of water for two hours - turn it every 30 mins.
add teh garlic in for the last 30 mins with some more salt and turn

To make the paste:

rice flour and stock, heat and stir til you get a wallpaper paste texture - add the sugar and simmer for 1 min - leave to cool.
In a food processor blend the onion, garlic ginger and 1/3 cup of stock. Add the 2 tbl salt and a tsp of sugar, plus teh chilli flakes and paprika
mix the paste into this blend.

Drain and wash the napa/ ramsons well - at least three times then mix everything tohether rubbing the paste into everything and jar it up.

Leave it on the counter for a couple of days then into the fridge and its done.

THis is a easier video, the paste is more straight forward and there's no wild garlic in it, but it might be easier to follow than my ramblings

Last edited:
Ah that’s a shame you don’t like it. I use it like I do the green part of leeks, when it’s available. And, as it’s free, try to make the most of it when it’s in season.

It's not that I hate it. I'm a big garlic fan, but I just find wild garlic leaves a bit mild and disappointing.

It's not that I hate it. I'm a big garlic fan, but I just find wild garlic leaves a bit mild and disappointing.
The ones I pick are pretty flavoursome, although not as strong as cloves of garlic. Like leek or spring onion green parts, compared to an actual onion.
Planning on boulangere potatoes tomorrow using the wild garlic instead of onions or leeks, to go with a chicken.
And a bagful of flavour for the freezer.
ACFD90F9-1C15-4D66-99A5-4CCBC5929BD1.jpeg

Has anyone ever eaten ground elder? I'm sure it's one of the more invasive weeds in my garden, but it sounds like it's good and edible.

Picked first Raspberries this morning - a good sign of things to come. Keeping an eye on my favourite elderberry trees and hoping for the first blackberries in a few weeks if this weather keeps up.

Re-reading this thread I wish Stan was still around. Before moving to Granada he spent a lot of time close to where I’m moving. He would have been a very useful source of info. I’ll settle for fishing till I get more acquainted.

As an aside, if ever any of you are in Andalusia after the olive harvest many farmers are happy for you to take as many as you want. Just remember to cure them before you try to eat them.

I have mulberries on my mind. I think it was seeing very expensive dried ones in the deli.
There was a small-leaved variety where I used to work, but they pruned the lower branches and I certainly can't go there anyway.
There used to be a black mulberry down by the river, but I don't remember when it fruits ... I think it may be a bit early ...
I will wait till it cools down before setting out in that direction to see if it has potential.

In addition to above, some areas have almonds that you can have once the harvest is finished. The attitude is that the farmers’ have got their crop, what’s left is yours.

Im not sure how, or if, it also works in the onion and garlic fields though.

Back
Top Bottom