Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Let's go foraging

2.5 kg of blackberries picked this morning - season looks like it’s going to be a good one 😋
My secret massive bramble patch that I discovered in the first lockdown is still green, but bounteous. There's gonna be a LOT of bramble jelly made this year!

I got a good haul of cherry plums from the park last week - still working my way through them and there's tons left!

Most of the ripe blackberries now will be escapees from gardens or named cultivars. Wild blackberries ripen much later in the year (the really vicious Himalayan types stay green until early September ). I have a couple of early cultivars which start to ripen by mid July ('Helen,' and a tricky to pick 'Reuben) but Oregon Thornless is just getting into it's stride (in time for jelly making with grand-daughters)

Always a source of regret - fruits high in anthocyanins are totally hopeless for dyeing - those glorious colours fade immediately to meh greys and drabs.

I am properly jealous of those who have great clusters of ripe blackberries. I took a tour around the hedgerows near here yesterday, and can confirm that, while there are lots of berries on the tresses, they are very small and unripe - I'd say there's a good 3-4 weeks left before they're anywhere near ripe.

I stopped twice for blackberries yesterday on my 20 mile bike ride.
It would have taken a lot of time to collect a pie's worth ...

And I was standing in the park yesterday near a walnut tree and after a bit of a ponder, I realised I was standing under a hazel tree - I'm so used to them being straggly things.

By all accounts this is Corylus colurna - Turkish Hazel

nutts.jpg

Turkish hazel.jpg

I am properly jealous of those who have great clusters of ripe blackberries. I took a tour around the hedgerows near here yesterday, and can confirm that, while there are lots of berries on the tresses, they are very small and unripe - I'd say there's a good 3-4 weeks left before they're anywhere near ripe.
We have loads of blackberries on the marshes , alas one spot is now blocked off 😥 it's an area under the two railways that cross the Walthamstow Marshes . One year we had an explore and found just bucket fulls of plump blackberries. But then came across a group of naked men sun bathing , it was a bit of a maze , so we nodded at them and back tracked, came across a German family who were enjoying the blackberries but also weren't sure how to get out. I went one way , then came across 3 men engaged in #sexytimes, so apologised to them and backtracked again , ran into the German family , told them not to go down that path, they already had. Us & the German family managed to find our way out, laden with blackberries.

Alas the next time we went, British rail had fenced the whole site off. Now it's just for our feathered friends.

We have loads of blackberries on the marshes , alas one spot is now blocked off 😥 it's an area under the two railways that cross the Walthamstow Marshes . One year we had an explore and found just bucket fulls of plump blackberries. But then came across a group of naked men sun bathing , it was a bit of a maze , so we nodded at them and back tracked, came across a German family who were enjoying the blackberries but also weren't sure how to get out. I went one way , then came across 3 men engaged in #sexytimes, so apologised to them and backtracked again , ran into the German family , told them not to go down that path, they already had. Us & the German family managed to find our way out, laden with blackberries.

Alas the next time we went, British rail had fenced the whole site off. Now it's just for our feathered friends.
They were wearing feathers?

#carmarthenshireberrywatch

Still green, still tiny. The sloes are coming on a treat, though.

I'd love to find a nicely fruited-up damson tree like the one I found right on the tide line in Pembrokeshire.

Back
Top Bottom