Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Let's go foraging

Got first elderberries yesterday - looks like it’ll be a bumper year. Many more ripe blackberries - we picked 5.5kg in about half an hour - so more wine to be started today.

I stopped twice for blackberries yesterday on my 20 mile bike ride.
It would have taken a lot of time to collect a pie's worth ...

And I was standing in the park yesterday near a walnut tree and after a bit of a ponder, I realised I was standing under a hazel tree - I'm so used to them being straggly things.

By all accounts this is Corylus colurna - Turkish Hazel

View attachment 283404

View attachment 283405

Squirrels were dropping these on our heads during our walk this morning 😠

I must have spent half an hour grazing blackberries yesterday on my bike ride.
Such variation in flavour and sweetness - you get a sour one then have to carry on grazing till you find a sweet one .... but can't resist taking another gamble :)

Probably the most disappointing ones I remember finding were growing alongside the river in bath which must have mostly layered themselves so were all sour ...

I found one solitary hazelnut.

My first chanterelles? Never found or ID'd them before, but got talking to a local (I'm on holiday in the Highlands) who has foraged them lots of times and he was 100%. Still fancy checking the few I took against some online stuff!

View attachment 287088
I got a few kilos of chanterelles on Headly Heath a while back. Sold most to a local posh hotel.

That cauliflower fungus was in exceptionally good and fresh condition. (I've never found one before, but I've read they are usually full of bugs.) Has a very 'distinctive' smell, both raw and cooked. My mum, who admittedly doesn't much like mushrooms, was a bit grossed out by its aroma.

Picked some sloes on Sunday -about 750gms which have been ginned.

How were the sloes looking? I picked some last year and put them in the freezer. Later I read something that gave me the impression I'd picked them too early, so I never actually used them.

Also, can you do anything other than gin with them :D

My price for fungi foraging in The Highlands was finding a tick attached to me when I came out of the shower this morning. Now just need to watch the bite for signs of Lyme disease.

A mate has talked me into doing something with Rowan berries (I have access to loads). Most sources say they are a faff, but I guess I should have a go at least once...

My price for fungi foraging in The Highlands was finding a tick attached to me when I came out of the shower this morning. Now just need to watch the bite for signs of Lyme disease.

A mate has talked me into doing something with Rowan berries (I have access to loads). Most sources say they are a faff, but I guess I should have a go at least once..
Ooh I’d be interested to know what to do with the Rowan. The tick thing sounds squeaky clenchy horrible.

I make rowan jelly...but not just on it's own. I make a 'hedgerow' jelly using crabapples, rosehips, quince and whatever else comes to hand. If you come across a John Downie crab or small tart Dabinet or 'catshead'cider apples, they will provide the pectin you need for a good set. Additional redcurrants, blackberries, bilberries or wineberries (any of the ribes or rubus tbh) also adds a lovely claret colour. They are not really a faff - just takes time (to simmer until very soft...up to an hour) and patience, to strain without meddling. Squeezing, while satisfying, will cause loss of clarity. The resulting jellies range from pale pinks to deepest burgundy and make lovely gifts if packaged nicely.
For rowan enthusiasts, some varieties make much better jelly. S.commixta is my favourite, made with malus hupehensis or malus transitoria crabs. Same with roseheps. The large rugosa heps, along with briar eglantines and r.pomifera make the best rosehep jelly...but these are really just for boasting and pretentiousness. In truth, a decent hedgerow jelly can be made out of any varieties...although I admit to being a bit less enthused with berries grown along main roads or at dog-pee height.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom