Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Let's go foraging

My foraged sweet chestnuts last year were such a success, cooked frozen and ready to use as stuffing for deluxe roast dinners. I'm keeping a close eye out for this years crop, the first ones that have fallen are all shell and no nut though

Giant haw! (Crataegus coccinea, not one of the native species)

IMG-20210924-133230.jpg

Never knew we had redcurrants in my fave little wild park, but saw these beauties today. Checked my Forager's Calendar book, and it's pretty disparaging about possible uses.

Anyone got owt positive to say or suggest?

Attachments

• 20210925_162108.jpg
    20210925_162108.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210925_162100.jpg
    20210925_162100.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 10
yeah, and very nice too. Adds a bit of a sharp taste that cuts trough the meatiness, think mint sauce and roast lamb.
Fella's a veggie and I only eat meat occasionally, even then it's chicken, not red meat. Might still make it out of curiosity though.

sojourner, silly question, especially as I can't see very well on my phone, but are you sure they're redcurrants? Because the bush seems quite big, it's late for redcurrants, I thought redcurrants usually had green stems, and that the fruits come in long bunches and have tails and ribs. It's there any chance this could be a Guelder Rose instead?

Last edited:
sojourner, silly question, especially as I can't see very well on my phone, but are you sure they're redcurrants? Because the bush seems quite big, it's late for redcurrants, I thought redcurrants usually had green stems, and that the fruits come in long bunches and have tails and ribs. It's there any chance this could be a Guelder Rose instead?
It's got the same leaves. Ah though, the berries had no 'tails'. Cheers, looks like I'm wrong then!

Back
Top Bottom