Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lentil Soup

That looks really, really good.

I love green and brown lentils.

Fresh thyme and parsley, lots of garlic and proper smoky paprika at the end if possible.

You can add roasted pumpkin or butternut squash too for a heartier soup.

Obviously for the stew it should have sliced up panceta/tocino, chorizo and black pudding but its fine without too. Diced chorizo would give the soup a richer flavour though.

Fresh thyme and parsley, lots of garlic and proper smoky paprika at the end if possible.

You can add roasted pumpkin or butternut squash too for a heartier soup.

Obviously for the stew it should have sliced up panceta/tocino, chorizo and black pudding but its fine without too. Diced chorizo would give the soup a richer flavour though.
I have in the past done similar in vegetarian mode with veggie frankfurters.

I make this recipe which I got from Urban years ago courtesy of a poster called selalmlar who is no longer here and is untaggable (but if selamlar should ever read this - thanks!):

Mercimek corba!

1 cup red lentils
1 medium size onion
1 carrot
1 tbsp tomato (or, preferably, pepper) paste
1 tsp salt
1 tsp crushed pepper
6 cups of water
3 tbsp olive oil or butter
1 tbsp paprika

Cut up onion into little bits and cook in 1 tbsp oil for 3-4 minutes. Add the paste and cook for a couple of minutes, and add the lentils, chopped carrot, salt pepper and water. Cook for 25-30 mins. Either blend with hand blender or pass though a sieve. Heat remaining oil/butter with paprika for about half a minute. Add to top. Add lemon juice to taste. Eat.

So cheap it is almost free, and a part of damn near every Turkish meal. Good job its nice!

It's quick, cheap and good. I always puree it with a stick blender and serve it with 'homemade bread' AKA one of those packet mixes.

Rookie question - how much is “a cup” in this recipe?

I made the Felicity Cloake version yesterday, or at least threw the general gist of it together from memory using a veg stock cube and a bit of smoked salt and tbf it was fucking delicious.

I usually feel compelled to make lentil soup curried in some way but I'll have to do this again.

Back
Top Bottom