Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bulk buy lentils

This place is doing a deal - two 2kg bags for £7. Free delivery on orders over £30. If you were willing to order 20kg, that'd be £35 delivered. £1.75 a kg.

This place is doing a deal - two 2kg bags for £7. Free delivery on orders over £30. If you were willing to order 20kg, that'd be £35 delivered. £1.75 a kg.

savecobradford. co.uk
I only really want 5 - 10kg, and I'm already paying £1.80 per kg.

Now come to the conclusion this is an impossible task. Tesco are selling the cheapest easily accessible lentils - and there's no point buying in bulk even from Tesco because I've just read an article suggesting lentil prices are likely to fall during 2023.
Please specify which periodical you read this in? I have long heard rumour of a legumes-market based publication by the name of Finger on the Pulse, but was met with blank looks when enquiring in my local WH Smith.

Please specify which periodical you read this in? I have long heard rumour of a legumes-market based publication by the name of Finger on the Pulse, but was met with blank looks when enquiring in my local WH Smith.

Probably "The Grocer" mag, if I am going to hazard a guess.

I think you are taking the pea. This was a serious article about commodity prices on a website for Canadian farmers.

I buy freeze-dried bulk foods by mail that I take on hiking trips. You can't afford to buy the stuff at a hiking store so I go online. I don't know if this will work for you, but I looked up a bulk food supplier in the UK:

Minimum order 25 pounds and they deliver.

I buy freeze-dried bulk foods by mail that I take on hiking trips. You can't afford to buy the stuff at a hiking store so I go online. I don't know if this will work for you, but I looked up a bulk food supplier in the UK:

That's £3.20 per kilo for split red lentils, OP was looking for £1.80 or under and most of us can buy for £2 in our local supermarket.

So while it might be useful for hiking, it is way way overpriced for home use.

That's £3.20 per kilo for split red lentils, OP was looking for £1.80 or under and most of us can buy for £2 in our local supermarket.

So while it might be useful for hiking, it is way way overpriced for home use.

Yep. I just noticed that.

They're a posh (expensive) hippy organic brand.

I remember the time in college a canny flatmate took his turn at the monthly budget and decided that the best way to maximise the drink-to-food dichotomy was to "invest" in a very big bag of lentils and a very large quantity of frozen fish.

The number of meal choices that could please everyone that could be made out of a a combination of fish, lentils, ketchup, a few spices and the emergency stock of baked beans was rather limited. That was a long month!

Putting the drudgery back into Kedgeree

I know some of my neighbours put in occasional orders to Suma Wholefoods so they'll sort of club together to bulk buy whatever they need to meet any minimum order requirements. You'd need to enquire about minimum orders and prices, though, to see if it's worth your while.

Fuck, I think if I discovered that any of my neighbours talked with one another (and I wasn't included) I'd be in a complete tailspin.
Whether I want to be included is secondary

I know some of my neighbours put in occasional orders to Suma Wholefoods so they'll sort of club together to bulk buy whatever they need to meet any minimum order requirements. You'd need to enquire about minimum orders and prices, though, to see if it's worth your while.

They were my first thought as they used to deliver to the warehouse I worked in for a green online shop and rate their quality, but afaict their prices won't get down that low even at higher bulks. They were coy about actually showing them though without an account so might have that wrong.

Can anyone recommend an online shop to bulk buy lentils at good prices please? I don't wanna pay any more than max £1.80 per kg, otherwise it defeats the object of bulk buying. Too many of the wholefood shops online are at least double what Tesco charge!
I think you're going to struggle to find anything under £1.80 kg tbh - I do wonder if Tesco and the like are selling KTC/Fudco stuff, and huge bags of rice as a bit of loss leaders to get people to shop there who traditionally might have gone to local supermarkets/cash and carry; it seems to be a (relatively - I'm getting on a bit!) new thing for the big chains to sell 10 or 20kg bags of rice, and anything other than tiny jars of herbs and spices.

I had a look at my local Asian whole salers but the prices were higher then what you wanted.

Nacto red lentils - 2kg are cheaper from Tesco then from Nacto!

I think you're going to struggle to find anything under £1.80 kg tbh - I do wonder if Tesco and the like are selling KTC/Fudco stuff, and huge bags of rice as a bit of loss leaders to get people to shop there who traditionally might have gone to local supermarkets/cash and carry; it seems to be a (relatively - I'm getting on a bit!) new thing for the big chains to sell 10 or 20kg bags of rice, and anything other than tiny jars of herbs and spices.
Although at my local big Tesco they sell the 10-20kg bags of Basmati rice but the per-kilo cost works out higher than buying individual kilos. Banking on people being bad at maths, maybe?

Back
Top Bottom