Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bulk buy lentils

OK fair enough, I've been to St Helens.

But what, thirty mins on the train to Liverpool / Manchester/ Preston? And there are Asian shops in Warrington and Wigan and Skem according to Google. Depends how badly you want the lentils I guess.
How very gracious of you.

The WHOLE POINT is to save money. Travelling to buy them will not achieve that, will it?

Are you a bloke?

The WHOLE POINT is to save money. Travelling to buy them will not achieve that, will it.

Are you a bloke?

I know, I know, the number of times it's been suggested that I try Aldi after I've said there's no Aldi near me, and once even got a quite nasty response for specifically saying don't tell me to go to Aldi - 3 buses and a 2 hour round trip kind of cancels out any 50p saving over a local shop. But Other People Know Best.

I can't help with lentils or bulky items but if you ever struggle to get bags of particular spices locally I could pop that sort of light item in the post for you without too much bother.

I know, I know, the number of times it's been suggested that I try Aldi after I've said there's no Aldi near me, and once even got a quite nasty response for specifically saying don't tell me to go to Aldi - 3 buses and a 2 hour round trip kind of cancels out any 50p saving over a local shop. But Other People Know Best.

I can't help with lentils or bulky items but if you ever struggle to get bags of particular spices locally I could pop that sort of light item in the post for you without too much bother.
Absolutely fucking maddening innit?

Aww, thank you, but I do okay with spices, because I buy them online :D

There's an Asian grocery store called Quality Halal Butchers at
82 Claughton St, Saint Helens WA10 1SN
Thank you! Even in central Japan I was able to find a south Asian wholesalers. Took me a while to find it but once I had it probably kept me abroad for a few more years.

The WHOLE POINT is to save money. Travelling to buy them will not achieve that, will it?

Are you a bloke?
I was just writing a post retracting my advice because of the very point you make. I've sometimes made quite long journeys to buy cheap food in Asian supermarkets and it is now dawning on me that this may have not been as wise as it seemed at the time.

Despite the name, its a grocers.
Okay - I just rang and checked, and they do sell lentils. They sell lentils at way more than the £1.80 per kg that I mentioned in the OP, and they only do up to 2kg at a time.

So you get half a sweetie for effort.

Okay - I just rang and checked, and they do sell lentils. They sell lentils at way more than the £1.80 per kg that I mentioned in the OP, and they only do up to 2kg at a time.

So you get half a sweetie for effort.

Maybe adding price limit to title with a GPS reference and maximum travel limit would help stop all this piling on with offers of lentils.

This place is doing a deal - two 2kg bags for £7. Free delivery on orders over £30. If you were willing to order 20kg, that'd be £35 delivered. £1.75 a kg.

This place is doing a deal - two 2kg bags for £7. Free delivery on orders over £30. If you were willing to order 20kg, that'd be £35 delivered. £1.75 a kg.

savecobradford. co.uk

I bought split red lentils yesterday and £2 per kilo seems to be a decent price around here (I suspect London overheads come into play in terms of higher prices generally), I have used the Morrison's buy 2 get 1 free offer that was mentioned upthread but they are not running that offer at the moment and it is £2 a kilo.

savecobradford. co.uk
I wish there was a third place doing similar deals, so that we'd have a proper choice....

Now come to the conclusion this is an impossible task. Tesco are selling the cheapest easily accessible lentils - and there's no point buying in bulk even from Tesco because I've just read an article suggesting lentil prices are likely to fall during 2023.

Back
Top Bottom