Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lentil Soup

Orang Utan

Psychick Worrier Ov Geyoor
Anyone got a decent recipe?
The best soup I ever had was a dirt cheap Eritrean lentil soup a few years ago at Lambeth Country Fair and now I want to recreate it, though I’m also inviting other lentil soup recipe recommendations as lentils are ridiculously cheap and a hot soup is a balm for the body and the soul in this cold snap and current harsh times of voluntary and imposed fuel shortages. Go Urban!

Chuck some onions, leeks/cabbage/grated carrots/whatever other veg you've got (potatoes are good too) into a big pot along with a load of red lentils (quickest to cook) and some veg stock (cubes are fine). Bring to the boil, then simmer until the lentils are cooked/have started disintegrating. Add a bit more water from time to time if it looks like it's going to burn. That's it, easy-peasy.

(You can start off frying the onions and all that but I don't bother.)

My lentil soup is chopped onion 1/2 cup of lentils ham stock cube then add grated carrot once lentils are broken down but sounds like you'd prefer a Sudanese style one which I can't remember the details of offhand.

I think chopped onion 1 mug lentils then add crushed clove garlic ground cumin and a bit of tomato paste once lentils have broken down.

Screenshot_20221213-205913_WhatsApp.jpg
Here you go. Good luck.

Last edited:
Or you can make a more dahl-like one (fry onions/garlic/optional dried chilli, add yellow split peas and stock, simmer, squeeze of lemon juice/vinegar at the end, maybe add some coriander or parsley leaves then too if you have them) but it'll take a lot longer to cook unless you've got a pressure cooker.

Nah, five mins chopping, 20 mins cooking if you use red lentils. About as cheap and easy as it gets. (And an excellent way of using up vegetables.)
which i'm doing right now, having noticed some floppy celery and a couple of carrots in the fridge - there's a red pepper and some mushrooms in there too but i may leave those out. and one of the reasons I posted this thread is cos I have a glut of lentils as I misread a recipe for tonight's tea :D

which i'm doing right now, having noticed some floppy celery and a couple of carrots in the fridge - there's a red pepper and some mushrooms in there too but i may leave those out. and one of the reasons I posted this thread is cos I have a glut of lentils as I misread a recipe for tonight's tea :D
The pepper might work but the mushrooms probably won’t.

As an aside, I sometimes feel like I've absorbed my parents post-war (they were both born during it) make do and mend, rationing mindset when it comes to cooking. :oops: Anyone else? (I mean my Mum would be horrified that I can't tell you the exact price of stuff or that I don't go to about three different shops because there's a 2p price difference on something or whatever but still...)

Yeah, but that was like what £2.50 a tin? Make your own (brown lentils instead of red) and even with the increased cooking time, it'll be way, way cheaper than that.

You exaggerate the cost of this. I think it was more like £1.40 a tin. Dont always have time to make my own soup.

Look up Middle Eastern recipes for really good lentil soup.
For me, it’s the cumin and lemon that makes the difference between a decent lentil soup that is filling and warm etc, and a dish that I plan and look forward to.

Shorbat Adas or Chorbat el Ads.

The Greek version (Fakes) is also very good.

Look up Middle Eastern recipes for really good lentil soup.
For me, it’s the cumin and lemon that makes the difference between a decent lentil soup that is filling and warm etc, and a dish that I plan and look forward to.

Shorbat Adas or Chorbat el Ads.

The Greek version (Fakes) is also very good.
yes! I've also had an amazing Syrian lentil soup in a styrofoam cup, served to me unexpectedly (as gratitude for a very small favour at work), and it was so fucking lush (though the particular circumstances added to the culinary experience)

I've now gone rogue and turned this particular lentil experiment into a chicken stew as I noticed that some chicken thighs in the fridge needed to be consumed too :facepalm: I've been cooking solo for the last couple of days, which means I can mess about on my own timescale and cook late at night for future work dinners :cool:

You exaggerate the cost of this. I think it was more like £1.40 a tin. Dont always have time to make my own soup.

I’ve always got some tins in for those emergency moments but I also batch cook and freeze. Floppy celery is often included.

This evening I’ve eaten the last of my frozen soup, a peppery potato celery lentil & barley soup to which I added a cup of gelatinous chicken stock from last week.

But tins, sometimes I’ll mooch through the posh shops and buy one of the overpriced fancy ones and stash it at the back. Encountering one of those when I’m cold and tired is like finding that fiver in the coat lining or the blim when you’re cleaning off the book shelf.

(a pal used to fling the last of his stash at the book shelf every time, so that when he was broke and without any he knew he’d find some back there)

yes! I've also had an amazing Syrian lentil soup in a styrofoam cup, served to me unexpectedly (as gratitude for a very small favour at work), and it was so fucking lush (though the particular circumstances added to the culinary experience)

Syrian lentil soup is exactly what I was thinking of!

Back
Top Bottom