Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lambeth's plans to demolish Cressingham Gardens and other estates without the consent of residents

Portrait of Cressingham Gardens resident wins National Open Art Competition

Here you go:
oh yeah, I did know about this but strangely didn't make the connection when seeing it (in other times I'd have a word with myself about getting out more)

Read the article.

On Planning Committee. The Cllrs on planning committee are supposed to be independent. Its not supposed to under influence of the Council leader.

Lambeth update:

The council announced at the start of the outbreak of Covid 19 that it would suspend evictions.

One of the ironies of this decision is that it seems that the council were reliant on evicting people in order to free up accommodation for other homeless households.

The logic of evicting a homeless household, who the council are then obliged to house somewhere else is completely baffling.

I've written to my local councillors telling them that 'I will NEVER vote for any councillor who supports this awful destruction, demolition or decanting residents out of their homes. '

I've got this from Mr Dickson - I've not yet replied and could do with some urb help in knowing what to write to him
Thanks for your message. The council will be continuing with plans to provide new homes and increase the size of the housing stock on Cressingham Gardens. The only alternative would be the rejected option (still proposed by a diminishing minority) that refurbishment financed by diverting money from repairs programmed on other estates in the borough should take place. At a time when the LHS budget is at least £85m short this is not something that the council could ever commit to. The council is pressing ahead with:
  • A rebuilt estate where all existing council tenants get a new home that meets their needs, at council rent levels, with a lifetime tenancy – meaning no loss of social housing.
  • A rebuilt estate where all existing homeowners have a range of options for a new affordable home on the estate, keeping the community together.
  • 158 extra homes, 47% of which will be affordable (75 homes), including at least 27 extra family-sized homes for council rent. Some homes for private rent or sale would be built to help pay for rebuilding the estate at a time when there is no government money for new social housing.
I hope you’ll agree that in a borough in which 28,000 people are waiting for a home and many live in temporary accommodation this is the only responsible course of action.

All the best and thanks again!

Jim

Cllr Jim Dickson

Cabinet Member for Health and Adult Social Care (job share)

LB Lambeth

As expected Becca Thackray was very supportive
I entirely agree. You summarise it perfectly. E cologically, architecturally or economically, it does not stand up to scrutiny.

Neglected basic maintenance like clearing leaves from gutters let to a need for improvements. Residents wanted to see repairs but not their homes pulled down. There are properties which have now been empty for years on the estate, whilst the Council has a policy to provide more homes.

The repeated cases at the High Court on Cressingham show that legally it has been on thin territory regarding the consultation process. Instead of Lambeth Council funding legal costs to fight it, it but should recognise that a scheme that provides a minimal number of extra 'units' - less than ten as I recall - and results in re-housing elsewhere, people who have lived for years there makes no sense - especially in this economic downturn - and is certainly not what residents voted for in their ballot.

The film 'Dispossession' puts it in context too.

Thank you for contacting me. I admire your stance on this.

Yours

Becca Thackray

Councillor, Herne Hill Ward

Coverage (of a sort) in Current Archaeology. Issue 368 - November 2020 - which landed on our doormat yesterday.

Mentioned in "Sherds" as part of "It ain't Easy" on p65 - reviewing a free, downloadable pdf from UCL Press called Community-Led Regeneration : a tool-kit for residents and planners , compliled by Pablo Sendra and Daniel Fitzpatrick (UCL's Bartlett School of Planning).
One of the seven case-studies covers Cressingham Gardens, with complimentary remarks about the Resident's Campaign and Alternative Plans.

Just saw We the people documentary again - there was free screening online via the Museum of London tonight. The section that was shot in Cressingham with residents talking about fighting the council is really good. Documentary Film | We The People Brixton | London

Theres another online showing coming up soon as part of a womens film festival, costs £3 We The People

I see Vivienne from the Brixton Society has put comments at the end of the article saying how to object to the planning application.

On the extension of the Brockwell Park Conservation Area more info and how to support Cressingham Gardens being included is here:

I've written to my local councillors telling them that 'I will NEVER vote for any councillor who supports this awful destruction, demolition or decanting residents out of their homes. '

I've got this from Mr Dickson - I've not yet replied and could do with some urb help in knowing what to write to him

Sorry for the VERY late reply.

Cllr Dickson was, as usual, not being entirely honest.

1) What Dickson terms a "diminishing minority", is in fact a majority. We polled 76% of residents, 84% of whom voted for refurb. Even given diminishing numbers of secure tenants, the majority still holds.
2) We presented Lambeth with several options to pay for refurb. They only refer to using HRA receipts, because it's the only one that supports their own plans.
3) LHS (Lambeth Housing Standard) is £85 million down because the council squandered government "Decent Housing Standard" grant money, with very few checks & balances on pricing, poor quality control of works, & accounting that fails to show expenditure per estate, let alone per property.
4) There aren't 28,000 households on the housing waiting list that are in "priority need" (the local authority criteria for qualifying for housing). 75% of that number, are people who want to transfer/upsize/downsize.
5) "Family-sized homes". There are no 4-bed properties proposed for Cressingham. At present there are more than 40.
6) The "Lifetime" tenancy is an assured tenancy, not the gold-standard Secure Tenancy council tenants are used to.

Dickson's day job in Public Relations seem to lead him to believe that people will believe any old crap he trots out.

Stay classy, Lambeth

Hard to stay classy, when they've never been classy! Then again, the council's "lead for planning", one Cllr Matthew Bennett, is so oleaginous, that classiness is impossible.

Lambeth getting all moist for another unwanted demolition

Thanks, mate!
It's so fucking irritating that I'm a stickler for going through the documentation. It means I keep getting wound up by the absolute bollocks that is, for example, their "ecological walkover report"; their "transport assessment"; their various environmental assessments, etc.
Some of these assessments contain completely incongruous references, which give the appearance of having been cut & pasted from another planning document without care for editing!

The "cabinet lead for planning" should get off of his arse, & make sure council officers understand that allowing applications that are so shoddily assembled, is not on. Of course, as this is a Homes for Lambeth development (or "Bennett's Folly" as HfL keeps getting called on Twitter), nothing will be done.

Back
Top Bottom