Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lambeth's plans to demolish Cressingham Gardens and other estates without the consent of residents

So ViolentPanda (good to see you!) what does this mean? Is it all over now or are there other avenues they can try and pursue?
It's far from over. We still have the issue of Ropers Walk, which the cabinet meeting made clear is still on the table. We also have to play "wait and see" in order to find out what form these ballots take. Me, I won't be satisfied by anything less than independent balloting run by Electoral Reform Services or similar, & not some shoddy mob run by ex-Labour cllrs!

It's far from over. We still have the issue of Ropers Walk, which the cabinet meeting made clear is still on the table. We also have to play "wait and see" in order to find out what form these ballots take. Me, I won't be satisfied by anything less than independent balloting run by Electoral Reform Services or similar, & not some shoddy mob run by ex-Labour cllrs!
Thought it was probably too good to be true to think it was. :(

Good luck with it as ever. Fuckers.

So ViolentPanda (good to see you!) what does this mean? Is it all over now or are there other avenues they can try and pursue?

Kerslake says this in report. Council have said they will follow all recommendations of the report. That remains to be seen.

I've posted more on the Kerslake report on the Coop Council thread on Brixton forum. As it's a very good report that covers whole of Lambeth. Shows how poor this Coop Council is at consulting residents.

4.26.For Cressingham Gardens, the Council should re-engage genuinely with residents on their ideas for the future of the estate. We recognise ‘The People’s Plan’ as an example of one such resident contribution, but it will not be the only one.Resumption of genuine collaborative working with residents to work through the future of the estate would be a helpful way to rebuild trust with residents and to minimiselosing the estate from council ownership via Right to Transfer mechanisms.

Personally if the Council had taken the Kerslake report findings seriously they would have halted Ropers walk. And gone back to the drawing board.

Instead of a proper master plan they decided to "chip away" at the estate piecemeal. Having a master plan would have shown what there intentions really were. That's how I understand it. Is this correct?

Btw all the hard work you and other Cressingham residents have done has paid off.

I don't think I could have handled all the years of stress the Council put the residents on the estate through.

You successfully slowed down Lambeth plans for the estate to extent that Lord Kerslake ( unlike three other estates) can say that has this has not progressed that far it should be re consulted on and HfL should not pursue this so called redevelopment of your estate.

So all respect to you for and others in your community for keeping up the struggle over the years.

What Kerslake does not go into is way you were let down by your local Labour Cllrs. Not in his brief.

Personally if the Council had taken the Kerslake report findings seriously they would have halted Ropers walk. And gone back to the drawing board.
[/QUOTE]
Pretty much our take on it, too. They're giving lip service to Kerslake, promising to "change the culture", but within half an hour of saying this to His Lordship, they - in the form of Tom Branton (head of regeneration, & former Southwark Council & then Lendlease employee) went right back to their arrogant denial of what residents want.

Instead of a proper master plan they decided to "chip away" at the estate piecemeal. Having a master plan would have shown what there intentions really were. That's how I understand it. Is this correct?
A masterplan (as promised for Cressingham for what will be 10 yrs next year) is always "on the way", but never arrives, & CAN'T arrive because it would point up - couldn't help but point up - that Lambeth Council/HfL have done exactly what they claim they haven't: That is, they've been salami-slicing development in order to establish "beachheads" on regen estates.

• Angry
Reactions: Sue
Btw all the hard work you and other Cressingham residents have done has paid off.
Not yet, but hopefully at some time soon. We've still got a war on our hands, though. We still have to protect Mrs Dotimas (the 85 year old freeholder LBL/HfL have been harassing for almost 3 years) & the rest of our community.
I don't think I could have handled all the years of stress the Council put the residents on the estate through.
Thing is, you handle it because the only other option is to give up. Most of us refuse to give up because this place is in our hearts. I won't leave here except in a box. Most of my life with Greebo is etched into this estate.
You successfully slowed down Lambeth plans for the estate to extent that Lord Kerslake ( unlike three other estates) can say that has this has not progressed that far it should be re consulted on and HfL should not pursue this so called redevelopment of your estate.

So all respect to you for and others in your community for keeping up the struggle over the years.
Thank you. You can bet - & I've heard some of the noises coming out of the cabinet - that they're mad as hell that Bayo Dosonmu commissioned this review, & that Kerslake made the findings that he did. You can also bet that senior officers & cabinet members will do their best to sabotage the ballot they have to give residents on Fenwick, Central Hill & Cressingham. We - the regen estates - are already emphasising that any ballots need to be run by a politically independent operation such as Electoral Reform Services, not by some polling or "comms" form with Labour affiliations. It's "keep on fighting till we've won". We can't rest on our laurels.
What Kerslake does not go into is way you were let down by your local Labour Cllrs. Not in his brief.
Did you catch how Cameron was all "what about the residents!"? It's like she forgot that she was the person who offered our estate up to Pete "Liar" Robbins for regeneration. She's as dishonest as the day is long. As for Mary Atkins, glad she's gone. The only 1 who's done any good for residents on Cressingham is Ben Kind, who has at least pursued the housing dept about repairs - something Atkins & Cameron never did.

Read the new "fresh" start document.

It has a lot of very general promises. Basically the Council say they promise to be nicer to residents.

However no concrete detail on how they are going to do this.

Damning that this new doc is based around comments by residents that Council obtained in the past. Begs the question why residents views on the previous consultations were not taken up.

What I would like to see is independent monitering of these promises by the Council. Also an independent arbitration process if residents feel the Council is not keeping to the general promises it has made.

Otherwise it is going to go that way of previous Lambeth Council "consultations".

Attachments

• Draft Estate Renewal Resident Engagement Framework Brochure.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 3
Another thing that could be added to this draft is that Labour Ward Cllrs promise to listen to residents on estates in their wards and support them in raising issues and concerns.

Somthing that did not happen previously

Buzzed: £1m+ rabbit out of a hat move by Lambeth as Cressingham residents finally set to benefit from investment on their threatened estate

"Cressingham Gardens residents might raise an eyebrow over the £1,256,000 rabbit out of a hat investment on their estate. Lambeth is set to spend over £1m+ on replacing mains wiring and communal lighting.

This strongly suggests that demolition is off the agenda at Cressingham. You wouldn’t spend £1m+ on an infrastructure contract if you were then going to bulldoze the estate.

Unless you are really, really incompetent."

There are currently sheets of roofing blowing off Cressingham, again. Lambeth best get that cash out quickly, shame on them.

Back
Top Bottom