Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Labour leadership

Corbyn's age should not be a factor in the leadership.
I mean, the public are that brainwashed, that by the time the tories get out of power, David Cameron will be 138 years old lol

Why do you think the Telegraph for are trying to get their readers to pay £3 and vote for him?

To make everyone think that Labour will be doomed if he wins. They don't know what is gonna happen at an election in five years' time any more than you do.

e2a: It seems pretty perverse that people are openly bragging about their cunning plan to stitch up the democratic process in favour of their side.

Last edited:
To make everyone think that Labour will be doomed if he wins. They don't know what is gonna happen at an election in five years' time any more than you do.

Doesn't Walder Frey just pile up votes where Labour don't need them? Who do you think the Conservatives would rather fight in the key English marginals that will actually decide the 2020 GE: Kendall or Corbyn?

Doesn't Walder Frey just pile up votes where Labour don't need them? Who do you think the Conservatives would rather fight in the key English marginals that will actually decide the 2020 GE: Kendall or Corbyn?

If I was Cameron, I'd be delighted to run against Kendall. She couldn't win an election in which nobody else was standing. She couldn't win a brass clock at her own retirement party.

when we get the result in a couple of months, with Corbyn in 3rd or so, we'll have an (imperfect) picture of what Labour members and supporters think about the future. I do hope that those who think there's a chance of some kind of leftward shift in or around Labour take note.

I don't think it likely but i'm wondering if it's at least possible, now, Corbyn might win.

The folks paid to have an opinion reckon:

Andy Burnham 5/6
Yvette Cooper 11/4
Jeremy Corbyn 10/3
Liz Kendall 10/1

So they certainly think it is more than possible. I thought he'd need an avalanche of affiliated member votes to make up for 4th place in the members poll but that looks increasingly likely not to be the case.

The folks paid to have an opinion reckon:

Andy Burnham 5/6
Yvette Cooper 11/4
Jeremy Corbyn 10/3
Liz Kendall 10/1

So they certainly think it is more than possible. I thought he'd need an avalanche of affiliated member votes to make up for 4th place in the members poll but that looks increasingly likely not to be the case.
Not how betting odds work. Odds are set largely by volume of money bet and potential loss to bookie. Those odds clearly reflects people looking for an upset to make some money. So the people saying corbyn has a chance there are not the bookies, the ones who make the money, but the punters, the ones they take all the money from. The ones who lose their money.

The Falklands war was indeed a factor in Thatcher's 1983 win, but bigger factors which worked against Labour were their commitment to unilateral nuclear disarmament, withdrawal from the EEC, their disastrous handling of the economy in the 70s, higher personal taxes, union ties, (the winter of discontent and massively high inflation were still fresh in everyone’s minds) and importantly, Foot himself.
Strange how all those 1970s issues weren't reflected in pre-Falklands polling, isn't it?

Most voters simply don’t want strange looking old men leading the country, especially when they’re perceived to be rooted in the far left or far right as Foot was and Corbyn is.
Corbyn isn't "far left". Stop repeating the drivel of the Tory press and Blairite fuckwits.

I don't suppose you have a figure for your assertion that "Most voters simply don’t want strange looking old men"? Funnily enough, Corbyn's actually popular among young people. That sort of pisses on your chips somewhat. You've clearly bought into the postmodern idea of politics (appearance/presentation is everything).

People like you are part of the problem.

Last edited:

Labour's main problem in 2015 was getting their supporters out to vote, so I suspect the Tories would be just fine facing off with Kendall in the marginals. (Wouldn't fancy Corbyn's chances much either but for different reasons).

The Falklands war was indeed a factor in Thatcher's 1983 win, but bigger factors which worked against Labour were their commitment to unilateral nuclear disarmament, withdrawal from the EEC, their disastrous handling of the economy in the 70s, higher personal taxes, union ties, (the winter of discontent and massively high inflation were still fresh in everyone’s minds) and importantly, Foot himself.

Most voters simply don’t want strange looking old men leading the country, especially when they’re perceived to be rooted in the far left or far right as Foot was and Corbyn is.
you do talk some shit

I'll be honest, since the election I've swerved politics like a Liberal with the truth. I don't really have a clue who the candidates are but reading the Graun etc it seems the actual leftist candidate is 1-0 up. As much as I'd love Corbyn to get it (again, from what I've seen of him) is this how we get the Tories out? The public seemed to think Ed was too lefty (lol) which was one of the reasons he lost. Could Labour really get in with a non-Blairite leader?

not that I particularly have much faith in the party

You're mistaking the media discourse about Miliband being "too left", with what people actually thought, which tended more to the "he's nowhere near left enough".

Really? Where did you get this from?

Former party members, neighbours, relatives out in the sticks of East Anglia who say they'd have voted for Labour if Ed had grown a pair and stood up for social housing and rail re-nationalisation. Surprised me, as I'm far more used to hearing the old "they're all the same nowadays" refrain from all the above groups.

Ah, ok. I had a few people say he was too left wing, a few say he was as left wing as he was able to be in the current labour party, but most just said he was useless.

I don't think that many people still think in the terms of left and right tbh - the policies you mention above are popular across the board (rail nationalisation has majority support in polls iirc?)

Back
Top Bottom