Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Labour leadership

(oh, and obviously Burnham's going to win, because every ballot that doesn't have him first pref will have a 2 next to his name)

Yep, confirming that being the aim of both the spreading of "he's in front" polling and right-wing "I'm voting Corbyn" chatter. Burnham's played a blinder imo, totally destroyed Kendall by scaring her potential vote.

I agree with Corbyn about Hamas, but Guru-Murthy was right to question him on his calling them 'friends' and his angry reaction showed up his inability to deal with the media.

I like Corbyn a lot, but if he was to become leader then the press would simply destroy both him and Labour. 2020 would be worse than 1983.
I don't think Corbyn was having a "meltdown". I think he had every right to be impatient and angry. I also think Corbyn wanted to put his point across but KGM wasn't going to let him. The words "do you still beat your wife" apply to KGM's interviewing style.

As for harking back to to 1983, there's one thing that people continue to forget: Foot was ahead in the polls until Thatcher manufactured a conflict with the Argentines over the Malvinas.

I don't think Corbyn was having a "meltdown". I think he had every right to be impatient and angry. I also think Corbyn wanted to put his point across but KGM wasn't going to let him. The words "do you still beat your wife" apply to KGM's interviewing style.

As for harking back to to 1983, there's one thing that people continue to forget: Foot was ahead in the polls until Thatcher manufactured a conflict with the Argentines over the Malvinas.
yeh. but the conflict was in 1982. foot therefore behind thatcher throughout the important period.

upload_2015-7-16_19-26-13.png

If Corbyn won the leadership election, Labour would definitely lose the 2020 election. Not because left wing ideas are unpopular but because the PLP would make damn sure they lost it and blame it on Corbyn.
Or there's a possibility they'll fuck off and do an SDP Mk II or join the Lib Dems... which would be seriously fucked.

You think that with any of the other three in the saddle, there's any chance of Labour winning the next election? All three are mini-mes who'll parrot support for 95% of the policies the Tories legislate over the next 5 years. That's not opposition, and none of them will make an opposition, because they and the Tories are too ideologically-similar for that to happen beyond making booing noises at them in the Commons.

I’m not much impressed by any of them either, but at least Labour would have a reasonable chance of winning with one of the other three as leader. Why bother with a leader who couldn’t possibly win? Any Labour government is better than any tory one.

Apart from the fact that Corbyn's opponents keep telling everyone this, what evidence is there of it?

And Corbyn's opponents would say we're all doomed if he wins the leadership, because it's easier for them to say that than to actually defend their own red tory politics or to counter Corbyn's arguments.

Labour would be doomed, it’s fantasy to believe that a dour and uncharismatic 71 year old from the old Labour left will appeal to British voters. Why do you think the Telegraph for are trying to get their readers to pay £3 and vote for him?

It’s a shame that personality is a major factor in democratic politics, but there you go.

I’m not much impressed by any of them either, but at least Labour would have a reasonable chance of winning with one of the other three as leader. Why bother with a leader who couldn’t possibly win? Any Labour government is better than any tory one.

Even a Labour government whose guiding ideology is almost identical to that of the Tories? I know we like to fondly see Labour as the defenders of the NHS and the rest of the Welfare State, but most of the shit the Coalition pulled, and the Tories are pulling, is stuff that New Labour set in train.

The Falklands war was indeed a factor in Thatcher's 1983 win, but bigger factors which worked against Labour were their commitment to unilateral nuclear disarmament, withdrawal from the EEC, their disastrous handling of the economy in the 70s, higher personal taxes, union ties, (the winter of discontent and massively high inflation were still fresh in everyone’s minds) and importantly, Foot himself.

Most voters simply don’t want strange looking old men leading the country, especially when they’re perceived to be rooted in the far left or far right as Foot was and Corbyn is.

Labour would be doomed, it’s fantasy to believe that a dour and uncharismatic 71 year old from the old Labour left will appeal to British voters. Why do you think the Telegraph for are trying to get their readers to pay £3 and vote for him?

It’s a shame that personality is a major factor in democratic politics, but there you go.

He's 66 not 71.

Even a Labour government whose guiding ideology is almost identical to that of the Tories? I know we like to fondly see Labour as the defenders of the NHS and the rest of the Welfare State, but most of the shit the Coalition pulled, and the Tories are pulling, is stuff that New Labour set in train.

Yep, even New Labour were better than the tory alternative. Can you imagine what Hague or Howard would have done to the State sector?

Last edited:
I like Corbyn's views, but New Labour are moving more to the centre, and I think Corbyn is a bit leftie.
I prefer the old labour and MP's like Skinner, Benn and Glenda Jackson, but again these MP's are too leftie for new labour.
I don't really know why we have a new labour party, maybe the whole labour party should just dissolve, as they have views too similar to tories. Any of the old-skool leftie labour MP's could join with the SNP.

I'll be honest, since the election I've swerved politics like a Liberal with the truth. I don't really have a clue who the candidates are but reading the Graun etc it seems the actual leftist candidate is 1-0 up. As much as I'd love Corbyn to get it (again, from what I've seen of him) is this how we get the Tories out? The public seemed to think Ed was too lefty (lol) which was one of the reasons he lost. Could Labour really get in with a non-Blairite leader?

not that I particularly have much faith in the party

Back
Top Bottom