Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Labour leadership

Abbott was enthusiastically campaigning for nominations for Corbyn on twitter.

I imagine some of this is about wanting a "real debate" but some must also be self interest - splitting the vote for opponents or making right wing candidates seem more electable in comparison.

Abbott was enthusiastically campaigning for nominations for Corbyn on twitter.

I imagine some of this is about wanting a "real debate" but some must also be self interest - splitting the vote for opponents or making right wing candidates seem more electable in comparison.
Not sure if it really helps split any vote, considering the electoral system. Corbyn will probably be the first out, so his votes will go straight to Burnham anyway.

Agree that it will make the right wingers look 'sensible' in comparison

Also this makes a bit more sense - Abbott trying to portray herself as the radical Lab candidate for Mayor:

CHZroL7WUAAXnH8.jpg:large

Not sure if it really helps split any vote, considering the electoral system. Corbyn will probably be the first out, so his votes will go straight to Burnham anyway.

Agree that it will make the right wingers look 'sensible' in comparison

I think he'll actually make it out of the first round. Abbot would have done so in 2010 if it had been one member, one vote then. She actually beat both Ed Balls and Burnham on first preferences.

I think he'll actually make it out of the first round. Abbot would have done so in 2010 if it had been one member, one vote then. She actually beat both Ed Balls and Burnham on first preferences.
Im not certain on the new voting mechanics, but i understand its now an AV system, so if he makes it through he could be a lot of peoples #2 vote...i'm not familiar enough with the system to know how it could play out

He might just beat Kendall, tho I doubt it, no chance of him outdoing Burnham or Cooper.

Im not certain on the new voting mechanics, but i understand its now an AV system, so if he makes it through he could be a lot of peoples #2 vote...i'm not familiar enough with the system to know how it could play out
It was an AV system then.

Abbott's great first pref than burnham and balls was only in the affiliated groups section - which has 1/3 of the vote. She was miles behind them in the other sections - and even further behind the milibands in all sections.

It may be a small part of the parliamentary party but not of those who support/vote Labour.

As to calling him a "stooge", I assume that he wouldn't see himself in that light. I've always seen the concept as involving a degree of complicity.

It was an AV system then.

Abbott's great first pref than burnham and balls was only in the affiliated groups section - which has 1/3 of the vote. She was miles behind them in the other sections - and even further behind the milibands in all sections.

It is not 1/3 of the vote anymore though. It has been changed to one member, one vote. The 2010 first round on that basis would have been:

Ed M - 125,649
David M - 114,205
Abbott - 35,259
Balls - 34,489
Burnham - 28,772

Either way though, Corbyn gets smashed in the 2nd round when he needs 2nd preferences from Kendall or Cooper 1st preference voters... which won't be forthcoming.

It is not 1/3 of the vote anymore though. It has been changed to one member, one vote. The 2010 first round on that basis would have been:

Ed M - 125,649
David M - 114,205
Abbott - 35,259
Balls - 34,489
Burnham - 28,772

Either way though, Corbyn gets smashed in the 2nd round when he needs 2nd preferences from Kendall or Cooper 1st preference voters... which won't be forthcoming.
That's assuming all those affiliated votes would have bothered to register as labour supporters in order to vote. Not something i am at all convinced of.

Last edited:
I do. Tho looking at the odds - Kendall is 5-2 v 3-1 for Cooper. How the fuck can the truly vile Kendall be doing so well?

Of all the candidates, she's probably the leader the Conservatives would least like to face in 2020. I don't think the prospect of fighting a GE campaign against the Butcher of Stafford is causing too many palpitations at 30 Millbank.

That's assuming all those affiliated votes would have bothered to register as labour supporters in order to vote. Not something i am at all convinced off.

This is fair comment. It is hard to see at the moment how this section will work out under the new system. It might possibly benefit Corbyn though as you'd have to be fairly enthused for a particular candidate to pay your £3 or whatever it is. I don't see the other 3 stirring up much of that!

Taking out all the whips, chairs etc who, by convention don't vote, that's still probably more than 20 who couldn't bring themselves to back any of them.

Back
Top Bottom