Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Labour leadership

If you refuse to accept the fact that a 36.9% popular vote on a 66.1% turnout equates to 24.9% of the registered electorate, then there is little point in continuing any discussion.
I've no idea why, but you appear to be wilfully mis-representing the facts of the 2015 GE.
He didn't know what "popular vote" meant. That's at the root of this latest sorry debacle.

the whole anti-semitism thing seems to be coming to a head atm - anyone any thoughts on if it's going to have any traction?

i don't think it will, because there have been so many attacks on him already that it looks like desperate measures, and because i think a lot of people have become bored with the litany of attacks.
Yeah I think I agree with this. I think it is about on a level with russel brand backing the labour party at the last minute before the last GE. The die has already been cast IMO.

If you refuse to accept the fact that a 36.9% popular vote on a 66.1% turnout equates to 24.9% of the registered electorate, then there is little point in continuing any discussion.
I've no idea why, but you appear to be wilfully mis-representing the facts of the 2015 GE.

Because he's a toff, so wants to big up the tories.However inspite of his privileged upbringing he's a massive failure of a human being and is incapable of grasping simple facts. That in itself is no bar to contributing to urban or anywhere else, but when you wade in with a toff sized sense of entitlement people will call you out on it. As happens on every fucking thread this cunt shits all over.

the whole anti-semitism thing seems to be coming to a head atm - anyone any thoughts on if it's going to have any traction?

Where is it coming to a head? There is nothing about it on the BBC website, for instance.

I don't think it's likely to have any significance, TBH, because I suspect most of those voting neither know or care about it.

I am arguing the latter.

Go and make a cup of tea. Re-read all the posts where people have explained the distinction to you. And for a moment put aside any enmity you may feel for the people making those posts, for they are right and you are making an arse of yourself, no matter how much back peddling you now attempt.

The Tories do not have a majority of the popular vote. What they have is a slim majority of seats.

This is what everyone has been trying to tell you. Now seriously, stop digging.

Out of the number of people who voted - the popular vote - they have a majority, hence they have a popular majority.

You may have been confusing the phrase with an absolute majority or some other kind of supermajority...

At least this one isn't a very important thread any more really... i mean all anyone can do now is speculate, there isn't really any new information... so keep him here on this thread!

Just because you've voted now doesn't mean it's suddenly unimportant. Some of us haven't even had our ballot papers yet and could still be swayed by the clarity of the argument... :hmm:

Where is it coming to a head? There is nothing about it on the BBC website, for instance.

I don't think it's likely to have any significance, TBH, because I suspect most of those voting neither know or care about it.
there's noise on twitter about the WATO phone-in, and I've seen mention of it appearing in some of the gutter press, but haven't looked for it yet.

Because he's a toff, so wants to big up the tories.However inspite of his privileged upbringing he's a massive failure of a human being and is incapable of grasping simple facts. That in itself is no bar to contributing to urban or anywhere else, but when you wade in with a toff sized sense of entitlement people will call you out on it. As happens on every fucking thread this cunt shits all over.

Given your frothing anger, you are remarkably poor at insults.

Out of the number of people who voted - the popular vote - they have a majority, hence they have a popular majority.
A majority of the popular vote would be 50% + 1 vote (or more).

Do you know when the Tories last managed that? I do. Look it up.

You may have been confusing the phrase with an absolute majority or some other kind of supermajority...
Please just stop. It's embarrassing.

No he's not. But you appear to be confusing the term popular majority with the notion of a relative majority. Having the plurality, (or, like the tories, the largest number of total votes), does not represent a popular majority, merely a relative majority.

No - that would be an absolute majority.
There are no circumstances in which 36% is a majority. None.

They were the largest single party both in seats and in terms of the popular vote, but they did not have a majority of the popular vote. Come on, this is the real basics.

Imagine there are a hundred apples. Johnny has 36. Bill has 29. The other 35 apples are divided between several other children.

A. Who has the larger number of apples between Johnny and Bill?

B. Does anyone have a majority of apples?

C. If Bill and the others pooled their apples is their hoard greater or less than Johnny's?

Back
Top Bottom