Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Labour leadership

CMuBw-nVEAIBh4s.jpg

Daily Record comes out for JC, surprising?
Nope.

Mr Corbyn said: “I’ve done over 70 events in the last six or eight weeks since the campaign started and the attendances are getting bigger and bigger.
chronicle

That's a pretty hectic schedule, I wonder how that compares with the other candidates.

Secret gig. Good for trying out new material.

Not sure there will be any genuinely new material, more like playing the Labour Left greatest hits of yesteryear, though they may appear to be new to that part of his audience too young to remember the eighties.

Not sure there will be any genuinely new material, more like playing the Labour Left greatest hits of yesteryear, though they may appear to be new to that part of his audience too young to remember the eighties.
"I'm gonna do a little number about bitcoins - with a bit of help from a special guest - please give it up for....russia today loon....Max Keiser"

Any clumsy 'Arab Spring' comparisons in the press yet? I hope the apparent momentum shits up a few of the people who deserve shitting up.

My partners a 3 quidder, so we went to the Middlesbrough bash today. There were 730 seats downstairs and a fair number in the balcony, so the claimed 1000 would be about right. I've read something where he talked about going beyond old style nationalisation, more workers control in one form or another. For the most part though today it was warmed up social democracy, light on detail but reasserting state control/spending/decency/internationalism. It's not a politics I'm going to embrace, but there's an obvious attraction for those wanting labour to get it's mojo back whilst wanting to overturn austerity).

My twopenneth on Labour's chances with him in charge is that he'd certainly do better than any Labour leader of the last decade. A social democratic approach, confidently asserted and unapologetic might drag a good few seats back. However the right will make sure it's anything but united. Ironically the anti-corbyn commentators do have a point. What is the job he wants to do? it's to be elected to run an unequal, corporate capitalist economy - neither he nor Labour are in the business of creating something different, transforming it. I don't really see that he's come up with new levers of power or exciting ways of creating equality in the middle of all that. Nor, for that matter has he really got a political strategy for building beyond Labour's core vote (though he might well get more of them to turnout). Some imagined corbyn government would have the chance to explore how much of the thatcher/blair neoliberalism was choice and could be overturned, but he's not in the business of doing something genuinely different. That's why I was both pleased and depressed to see 1000 people at this roadshow. It's many times the number of people who have passed through the anti-austerity movement in Teesside and even more so in terms of peop9le in anti-system politics locally. In fact the there were a good few people there today or who I've spoken to recently who are involved in anti-cuts stuff but are going back to Labour. :(

I was almost expecting him to come out with 'planning agreements' today.

My partners a 3 quidder, so we went to the Middlesbrough bash today. There were 730 seats downstairs and a fair number in the balcony, so the claimed 1000 would be about right. I've read something where he talked about going beyond old style nationalisation, more workers control in one form or another.

Stuff from his campaign has hinted at worker co-op type things but nothing has been said about it that's particularly specific really.

Incidentally, Peter Kellner seems a bit less certain about corbo winning now (after saying he'd be amazed if he didn't a week ago) - very bottom of the piece below:
http://www.theguardian.com/politics...n-labour-enjoy-excitement-leadership-campaign

Might just be hedging his bets after the election polling fiasco, realising he'd left himself a bit exposed. However the difficulties of polling an electorate that hadn't even been finalised till yesterday made some of the predictions pretty ridiculous. For exactly the same reasons I don't know how it's going to turn out, but I do have a feeling it will be a LOT closer than the polls have suggested.

It's a difficult one. On the one hand, choosing Corbyn could win back votes from the left in Scotland, from the SNP and from the Greens and Plaid. But then, choosing Corbyn is unlikely to win the middle-England Tory seats Labour will rely on to win the election in 2020. And what about the votes the party lost to Ukip? They are unlikely to win these back with Corbyn's open stance towards immigration (which I'm in full support of). So do Labour want to be a party of power or protest? I'm of the opinion, that to achieve genuine change, Labour need to be in government. The great inventions of the NHS, the welfare state and the minimum wage were only possible because of this. I'm backing Burnham.

Last edited:
Over the years the grass roots have been ignored, it's like being spit on. I have had just about enough of them now.
They complain about being bad mouthed but just look what happened to that Gillian Duffy row, they couldn't ignore her when caught red handed but they did.
Blairites wanting it their way, Hey you three how do you like your moral being pissed on.
Corbyn being a good leader, not for me (he wants to stay in the EU) but at least he listens to people.

Over the years the grass roots have been ignored, it's like being spit on. I have had just about enough of them now.

They complain about being bad mouthed but just look what happened to that Gillian Duffy row, they couldn't ignore her when caught red handed but they did.

Blairites wanting it their way, Hey you three how do you like your moral being pissed on.

Corbyn being a good leader, not for me (he wants to stay in the EU) but at least he listens to people.

Terrific post! A great summary, short and snappy.

Ooh, tasty Chinese spam. :mad:

How do you secure a skyline anyway? And why? I find that the sky is usually in the same place that I last saw it. Do modern skies need padlocks and passwords?

Gosh, life is getting complicated.

Is it just me or is anyone else finding the excited reaction of lots of radicals to this Corbyn thing really quite depressing?

It feels like people who should have better politics grasping at ever increasingly desperate straws uncritically: Syriza, The Green Surge, voting Labour/The Green Party, and now Corbyn... all of which so far have disappointed, as IMO Corbyn obviously will as well.

LDC

Is it just me or is anyone else finding the excited reaction of lots of radicals to this Corbyn thing really quite depressing?

It feels like people who should have better politics grasping at ever increasingly desperate straws uncritically: Syriza, The Green Surge, voting Labour/The Green Party, and now Corbyn... all of which so far have disappointed, as IMO Corbyn obviously will as well.

LDC

Possibly, but for me it's just the thought of actually having some possible opposition to the tories over the next 5 years. I can't see any of the other candidates giving any.

Dunno. I fancy a high quility myself, a nice warm quility for the winter. Also, I could hide under it and whimper if some bastard hacker steals my insufficiently secured skyline.

So, now that's at least two customers, yet I bet the silly merchant won't come back to talk terms with us. :(

Possibly, but for me it's just the thought of actually having some possible opposition to the tories over the next 5 years. I can't see any of the other candidates giving any.

If any Labour MP realised that they are still the opposition, perhaps If they behaved and tried to mount an opposition to the government instead of abstaining and rubber stamping every attack on people and services rolled out by Cameron and co.
Maybe those suffering may see that policies can be defeated and maybe those people will also be impressed enough to to support and vote for the opposition party and the sudden increase from the lower classes may be enough to defeat these insidious bastards and lead to a change of government. One that doesn't fawn and pander to the rich and undeserving, but a party that stands up for the majority of people.
In my opinion only Corbyn is at least willing to try and oppose. Any of the other three would allow a policy to be passed that anyone called Yvette, Andy or Liz to be kicked in the streets as long as it did not upset the banks, businesses and the upper classes.

Back
Top Bottom