Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Labour leadership

That man has a serious problem and he should seek help.

See also Louise Mensch who seems to have some pathological obsession with Corbyn
https://twitter.com/LouiseMensch

Hodges is a drama queen, if Corbyn's leadership implodes it will be down to him. But there will be a lot of goodwill and respect for him among CLP members even if they didn't vote for him. MPs who value their seats will not be playing silly buggers.

Last edited:
Not quite sure how to read his performance there. I'll be honest, I know virtually none of the detail on the groups and individuals mentioned, so I'm just going off his demeanour. Sounded a bit defensive, couldn't quite come out and apologise or say he fucked up. Sounded a bit like a ..... politician.

Edit: should just say, I think the attempt to portray him as anti-semitic are disgusting. Just think that if you've had contact with groups/individuals who turn out to be dodgy (or worse), it's best to address that, rather than going into defence mode. Saying you live and learn, you make mistakes could actually be a virtue, particularly when set against the robotnik 3 he is up against.
Vermin strategists will be observing JC's 'brittle' defensiveness for (possible) future tactics.

Am blocked from her account but based on retweets I see mensch is increasingly unhinged across a whole range of issues.

Drugs are clearly decent in New York.
Yes. I responded to author/lecturer Rob Ford's tweet implying that JC was an anti-semite, (and he had re-tweeted that Mensch thing), last night...and got blocked. Tetchy lots these RW smearers.

Does anyone have any tips for stopping the endless email, phone call and texts that the Labour party are sending? I've asked each one to stop but they keep coming. Next stop, the regulator.
I'm feeling left out, not had a single email... sadly I appear to have given them my mobile answerphone number by mistake so phone calls won't be getting though, but why have I had no emails?

I'm feeling left out, not had a single email... sadly I appear to have given them my mobile answerphone number by mistake so phone calls won't be getting though, but why have I had no emails?
Probably all in spam where they belong. Utterly inept. Whoever is running their election promotional campaign should be fired. Out of a cannon.

See also Louise Mensch who seems to have some pathological obsession with Corbyn

Hodges is a drama queen, if Corbyn's leadership implodes it will be down to him. But there will be a lot of goodwill and respect for him among CLP members even if they didn't vote for him. MPs who value their seats will not be playing silly buggers.
Eurgh I wish I hadn't read that. I'm almost tempted to sign up to twitter, call her an unhinged shitcunt in order to get blocked to prevent myself from reading it again, accidentally or otherwise.

I reckon Mensch's love of Peruvian marching powder's affected her judgement.

Where's that photo of Blair shaking hands with Gaddaffi?

Which one? And of course Brown did it too, though he does at least look unenthused. If any of these people were being in the least bit honest they'd admit the ability to make friendly with dodgy bastards is actually a recommendation for the top job - I mean fuck Huffpo was able to make a top ten of Cameron courting vicious dictators back in 2013.

Last edited:
Speaking of good articles, I thought this was excellently put in The Independent.

Why Corbyn is so popular

By Frank Cottrell Boyce

Only 25 per cent of the population earns more than £30,000 a year. Most media commentators (including me) do. For people like me, the country basically works. Politics doesn't affect me. Politics, for me, is about how other people are treated. It's easy inside my echo-chamber to believe that I am the norm, or the middle. Easy to forget that there are voices outside.

To people in my position, austerity can be read as regrettable but pragmatic. But to my friends and family, who live outside the bubble, it's not regrettable, it's terrifying. It's also not pragmatic. The crackpot, gimcrack ideological nature of austerity becomes more apparent the closer you get to the point of delivery.

Outside the bubble, everyone knows that an economy in which you can work 50 hours a week and still need tax credit to make the rent is a broken economy. To those outside the bubble, a Parliament that knows the country does not have enough houses yet cannot bring itself to build any for fear of "interfering with the market", is not a Parliament at all. And a media that sees a 50p top tax-rate, public investment and re-nationalisation of the worst failures of privatisation (railways and energy) as politically dangerous is a media whose understanding of politics has shrivelled into mere gossip.

People keep comparing the Corbyn campaign to 1983. But surely the more apt comparison is with 2001. Back then, everyone in the country – apart a few hundred politicians – knew that there were no Weapons of Mass Destruction, that the invasion of Iraq was a harebrained folly that would end in tragedy. In 2015, everyone – except a few hundred politicians – can see that austerity is a harebrained folly that could end in tragedy.

We were right then. We're right now.
I think he's unwittingly confirming he lives in a bubble, opinion-wise.

Just like many people discovered when the general election results took them by surprise because they didn't match what had been in their facebook feeds during the run-up.

I'm no fan of bourgeois democracy, particularly the way it's acted out through electoral politics in the UK. And I've got no time for the 'Labour' party: I don't think it has anything significant to offer working class people, particularly in its present sorry state. But I do have one or two observations about some of what's been posted here (and elsewhere) about Corbyn's leadership challenge.

1. It's not inconceivable that the Labour Party could be elected with him at the helm (though I think it unlikely). It's not without historical precedent, and, after all, a month or so ago it was apparently inconceivable that he'd be elected leader!
2. That prospect is made more likely by the public's increasing frustration with the political class' disdain of (even the pretence of) democracy.
3. What's the alternative? It would be a pyrrhic victory for a Labour Party to be elected which is not ideologically distinct from the Tories. Workers in this country would be better off if the Labour Party ceased to exist than if it was led by Liz Kendall; at least its demise would create a space for a genuine left-wing alternative movement.
4. Even if the election of Corbyn did mean that Labour lose the next election, his time as leader might produce a leftwards expansion of the Overton window. Anything that puts a crack in the monolith of neoliberal ideology can only be a good thing; at present, we have a generation of young people to whom the possibility that there might be an alternative to capitalism seems completely bonkers. Who know how such cracks might be expanded and exploited thereafter. I don't mean by the labour party; even with Corbyn in charge, it would continue to act within capitalism (without which it would cease to exist) - but it might get some peole thinking.
5. In my opinion, in the present circumstances, the potential benefit in 4 outweighs the argument that a reinvigorated Labour Party might be a distraction from ultimately more fruitful forms of organisation (not least of all because, at this point, the two aren't mutually exclusive). As such, there's little harm that could come of Corbyn's leadership, whereas lots of harm will undoubtedly flow from more of the same.

Last edited:
There really should be a separate thread for Dan Hodges' drivel. Anyway, here's his latest. "Trumpton revolutionaries" is his latest phrase.
It’s all a mirage. A fiction. Jeremy Corbyn and his campaign are living a well-crafted lie.

I have spent a great deal of my adult life around politics. Until I started to write about it, I ran some hard campaigns. I ran some downright dirty campaigns. I did many things I’m not proud of, and a few I’m openly ashamed of. But I’ve never seen anything quite like Jeremy Corbyn’s “campaign of Hope”.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...ing-up-with-the-Corbyn-cultists-claptrap.html

I think he's unwittingly confirming he lives in a bubble, opinion-wise.

Just like many people discovered when the general election results took them by surprise because they didn't match what had been in their facebook feeds during the run-up.

yes, the result may be nothing like the polls suggest, its also August and the media believe it or not is in 'playful mode' wait until September for hellfire to be unleashed, I predict it will be around JC's 'discussions' with Islamists over time, etc.

R4 WATO. Pollster Kellner thinks Kinnock's broadcasted advice is crucial to the election result.

Unfortunately there is no dozing off smiley so you'll have to make do with this:

:D

Back
Top Bottom