Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

kitchen islands

Are kitchen islands a feature of a serious kitchen?

• stupid and make you walk around and around like a mule

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • not stupid

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
There is no option on the poll for me - I have a decent sized kitchen (compared to other London flats), but no room for one of those fancy 'islands'.

If I had space I would probably want one, just because it's something I've never had and seems quite swanky!

Depends how big the kitchen is, how much wall space there is for cupboards, how many windows or doors you have to work around, and how many appliances there are, i.e. if you have washer/dryer or chest freezer, do you have a utility room or cellar, or do you need floor space for these in the kitchen, which would mean you maybe want a hob/oven or sink fitting in an island?

I've had it and I can't stand it any longer. Pick one.
Form follows function - think long and hard about how you use your kitchen, and whether a folding table in the middle of it might be a good compromise, before you decide.

mine is called a 'table'.
That's what one of my nans managed to fit into her kitchen in the floor space between the units. True, she couldn't walk around it, and getting to the oven took a bit of a shimmy, but it was fine for use when batch baking.

Mine is about 3inches lower than the only other work surface in the kitchen - crucial for a short baker - and, equally important, is huge enough to shove the vast heaps of stuff to one side. My house is horrible in every way apart from the entire ground floor being a gigantic kitchen with a whole wall of glass to my garden. I have a settee in it (the kitchen).

Yeah, a good thing: work surfaces shouldn't be limited to the depth of a standard appliance.
You can get deeper ones. We have one down one wall of a small kitchen. It's a really good thing whe baking or doing anything even vaguely complex.

An Island might be Ok in a big kitchen or in an open plan sort of arrangement. Perhaps.

Island units with hobs and pop up recirculating extractor thingies are stupid.

kitchen-island-with-stainless-steel-worktop.jpg

fabor-fabula-downdraft-extractor-fan-stainless-black-white-glass.jpg

Back
Top Bottom