Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Kick Racism Out of Football

As a Portista I'm disappointed the rest of the team weren't more behind him.

Judging by the way my Portuguese friends are outraged by the incident there's a lot of support for him, and general outrage that this has happened.

There's some serious retaliation there. Bet he wished he'd kept his mouth shut. Even so, descending to that level can't be allowed either.
Suppose when the official response to racism is shit, players do what they can. Potentially career ending challenges aren't great, but I'd rather see that than players doing nothing. I don't know anything about this story other than the clip, but I'd hope they were unapologetic about it afterwards as well. I'm not into macho responses, but sometimes you use what's at hand.

or foot.

And yes I'd normally agree with dessi but the original clip showed the guy being fouled and that arsehole laying in with unprovoked harassment. What with the authorities treating it laxly, what Wilf said really.

Leeds goalkeeper Kiko Casilla banned for eight games for racially abusing Jonathan Leko

Leeds United Club statement on Kiko Casilla (which shows how seriously they take the matter)

25332708-8057535-image-a-16_1582918500388.jpg

An FA spokesman confirmed: ‘Kiko Casilla has been suspended for eight matches with immediate effect, fined £60,000 and must attend face-to-face education after a breach of FA Rule E3(2) was found proven by an independent Regulatory Commission.

‘The Leeds United Goalkeeper denied using abusive and/or insulting words, which were contrary to FA Rule E3(1) and constituted an “Aggravated Breach”, which is defined in FA Rule E3(2), as they made reference to race and/or colour and/or ethnic origin, towards a Charlton Athletic player during an EFL Championship fixture on Saturday 28 September 2019.’

The eight game ban is above the mandatory six game suspension for those find guilty of on the field discrimination.

Greater Manchester Police have now charged 41-year old Anthony Burke of Wythenshawe with a Racially Aggravated Section 5 Public Order Act offence during Manchester City's Premier League match with Manchester United on 7 December 2020.

Man charged with racially-aggravated public order offence following December's Manchester derby at the Etihad

NINTCHDBPICT000545953638-e1575804882499.jpg

(Source: EPA)

Anthony Burke will appear at Salford and Manchester Magistrates Court on Wednesday 15 April 2020.
What a fucking muppet.

Not too sure about "creeping back" but ...

'Sadly I now believe that racism is creeping back into the game': Arsenal fan and YouTube sensation Robbie Lyle explores the racist abuse of football fans in England in revealing ITV documentary

Robbie Lyle: Football Fans Under Their Skin originally aired on Monday 30 March 2020 on ITV at 10.45 p.m.; it will be repeated tonight, Wednesday 1 April 2020, on ITV at 11.40 p.m.
will give that a watch tonight, thanks. Robbie does a great job i think. Interested to hear his take

Last edited:
ad breaks on right now, powerful watch, recommend watching it, i dont know if ITV has a replay service?

While the ads are on, just to reply to
Not too sure about "creeping back" but ...
I think its not to say there's been no racism, but the tide was moving in the right direction...and the tide is turning.

---

Good show...the emphasis firmly that its up to fans themselves to continue to stamp it out - there was no appeal to clubs or authorities made. That fits with everything Robbie is about, Arsenal FTV is exactly on that too.

Last edited:
A new paper published by Danish sports data company RunRepeat and backed by the Professional Footballers’ Association makes it clear that soccer commentary in the United Kingdom, United States and Canada has a racism problem.

The study found that, weighting for the different number of comments made about each group, players with lighter skin were praised more frequently for their intelligence, work ethic and overall quality while 63.3 percent of criticism about a player’s intelligence was aimed at players with darker skin, along with 67.6 percent of criticism about a player’s quality.

The study also found that players with darker skin were often reduced to racist tropes about their speed and strength, which is often coded by commentators as “pace and power".

Racial Bias in Football Commentary (Study)

Interesting statement from Les Ferdinand, after QPR and Coventry decided not to take a knee at the start of their match on Friday.

Taking the knee was very powerful but we feel that impact has now been diluted.

The taking of the knee has reached a point of ‘good PR’ but little more than that. The message has been lost. It is now not dissimilar to a fancy hashtag or a nice pin badge.

“What are our plans with this? Will people be happy for players to take the knee for the next ten years but see no actual progress made?

FWIW there is still an awful lot of homophobia in pro football, not to mention sexism in many sports.
There are few sports where women even come close to being equal to men in terms of pay, opportunity, facilities Etc.
Wherever you are whatever the context racism is just wrong and so is homophobia and I still think not enough is mentioned
about homophobia. It too is wrong, very wrong and yet it still happens with barely a mention. Take this example. It is not a fan
at a major game, It's not even a fan but some twat of a player at a lower league game. No wonder the majority of players do their
upmost to keep their homosexuality so secret. :(

Some uncomfortable questions on the eve of the new football season:

15 key questions on racism in football as new Premier League season begins

What do you think the answers should be?

I particularly liked this part of the article:

"Our questions should be aimed at the authorities - not to them."

While the players concerned wait to hear from the authorities (rather than Urban75 posters who raise this unpleasant issue), they appear to be taking matters into their own hands:

"Frustrated stars and coaches launch breakaway group which could lead to black players' union"

EXCLUSIVE: Football's Black Coalition will powerfully lobby authorities as they bid to boost black representation amid the game's racism crisis

Back
Top Bottom