Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Kick Racism Out of Football

Disturbing and disappointing:

Gillingham fined £12,500 by FA for sexist and racist chants from supporters

_45021478_gillingham_226.gif

According to the Football Association: "No less than eight weeks separated the Sutton and Wimbledon matches and yet the commission saw no signs of specific action having been taken by the club."

To date, no individual supporters have been identified for the racist and sexist chanting.

A Gillingham FC fan who 'appeared' to make a racist gesture during the club's tie against Newport County has been arrested by police and issued with a lifetime ban from the club. The supporter was pictured during the clash imitating a monkey after Newport's Omar Bogle scored a penalty spot during the away side's 2-0 League Two win at Gillingham.

Omar Bogle celebrated the goal in front of the home side, and the player's team-mates were seen surrounding him and apparently pointing out the supporter after he made the racist gesture.

0_gills-fan-2.jpg

(Source: mirror.co.uk)

0_gills-fan1.jpg

The match referee, Tom Reeves, was seen discussing the incidient with Omar Bogle and his captain Ryan Delaney, before making for the touchline to speak to managers Keith Millen and Graham Coughlan.

_131556796_cdf_281023_gillingham_v_newport_29.jpg

(
Source: BBC)

Omar Bogle wrote on social media: 'Listen this problem is bigger than just football but in life and as we keep saying, there's no place for racism. It's 2023. Do better.'

Joe Comper, head of operations at Gillingham FC said:

77117319-12683241-image-a-2_1698509348102.jpg

77117321-12683241-image-a-1_1698509314848.jpg

The 'fan' was pictured on Sky Sports abusing Newport County's Omar Bogle after the latter scored from a penalty.

Kent Police have confirmed as follows:

"A man has been arrested following a report of racist abuse at a Gillingham FC match.

Kent Police was notified of an incident during the League Two game against Newport County on the afternoon of Saturday 28 October 2023.

A man in his 20s has been arrested on suspicion of a racially-aggravated public order offence and taken into police custody.

Officers are carrying out enquiries into any further offences which may have taken place at the match."

Newport County condemn 'racist' abuse of striker Omar Bogle by Gillingham supporter

A Gillingham FC fan who 'appeared' to make a racist gesture during the club's tie against Newport County has been arrested by police and issued with a lifetime ban from the club. The supporter was pictured during the clash imitating a monkey after Newport's Omar Bogle scored a penalty spot during the away side's 2-0 League Two win at Gillingham.

Omar Bogle celebrated the goal in front of the home side, and the player's team-mates were seen surrounding him and apparently pointing out the supporter after he made the racist gesture.

0_gills-fan-2.jpg

0_gills-fan1.jpg

The match referee, Tom Reeves, was seen discussing the incidient with Omar Bogle and his captain Ryan Delaney, before making for the touchline to speak to managers Keith Millen and Graham Coughlan.

_131556796_cdf_281023_gillingham_v_newport_29.jpg

(
Source: BBC)

Omar Bogle wrote on social media: 'Listen this problem is bigger than just football but in life and as we keep saying, there's no place for racism. It's 2023. Do better.'

Joe Comper, head of operations at Gillingham FC said:

77117319-12683241-image-a-2_1698509348102.jpg

77117321-12683241-image-a-1_1698509314848.jpg

The 'fan' was pictured on Sky Sports abusing Newport County's Omar Bogle after the latter scored from a penalty.

Kent Police have confirmed as follows:

"A man has been arrested following a report of racist abuse at a Gillingham FC match.

Kent Police was notified of an incident during the League Two game against Newport County on the afternoon of Saturday 28 October 2023.

A man in his 20s has been arrested on suspicion of a racially-aggravated public order offence and taken into police custody.

Officers are carrying out enquiries into any further offenc es which may have taken place at the match."

Newport County condemn 'racist' abuse of striker Omar Bogle by Gillingham supporter

I live near there.

The amount of Gillingham supporters and other locals who blame Bogle for the whole incident because he celebrated in front of the home end is truly disturbing. 😔

There were also reports of further arrests for homophobic comments. I know there's a Gills fan on here and I really don't want to upset them but there's something rotten at Priestfield. (And locally tbf)

32-year old Jamie Arnold, of Norton Bridge, near Stone, has finally gone on trial at Wolverhampton Crown Court accused of causing racially aggravated harassment, alarm or distress to Rio Ferdinand by using "threatening, abusive or insulting" words or behaviour at the Wolves v Manchester United match at Molineux on 23 May 2022.

61175347-11091607-image-a-31_1659957642717.jpg

(Source: as stated in image)

According to lifelong Wolves supporter Mark Zammit, who won his ticket for the match in a fans' ballot, "He (Jamie Arnold) was shouting the abuse... at Rio and doing a monkey gesture, with his hands, under his arms. He shouted 'Rio you f****** monkey'."

Jamie Arnold has now been convicted of a hate crime after making racist gestures toward former Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand. Jamie Arnold was found guilty by a jury at Wolverhampton Crown Court of a racially aggravated public order offence during the Premier League match between Wolverhampton Wanderers FC and Manchester United FC in May 2021. Jamie Arnold had denied the offence, but throughout the match, which was broadcast on national television, he made derogatory remarks and hand gestures at Mr Ferdinand, who was working as a pundit for BT Sport.

Jamie Arnold was caught making the racist gestures on the stadium’s CCTV cameras, while several witnesses sat in the stands that day also confirmed the events took place. Jamie Arnold was arrested at the scene by officers with West Midlands Police, and answered no comment when asked about his actions during police interview and formally denied the charge at court. Mr Ferdinand said a group of supporters appeared to be more interested in him than the game, and when he was later informed of Jamie Arnold's actions he was left feeling alarmed and physically sick.

Alistair Redford, Senior Crown Prosecutor for the West Midlands Crown Prosecution Service said:

“I would like to thank the stewards whose quick-thinking actions ensured they could identify and remove Arnold from the stadium that day, and for Mr Ferdinand and witnesses who came forward to help us build as strong a case as possible."

Rio Ferdinand: Wolves fan Jamie Arnold found guilty of racially abusing former Manchester United defender

77279763-12698583-image-m-32_1698857120103.jpg

77279151-12698583-image-m-34_1698857137881.jpg

Jamie Arnold was previously banned from fooball games for three years after being found guilty of homophobic abuse and making gestures which mimicked disability during the same game. He was also ordered to pay almost £900 in fines and court costs.

Jamie Arnold will now appear before Wolverhampton Crown Court on 8 December 2023 to be sentenced for racially abusing Rio Ferdinand.

Newcastle United FC issued the following statement earlier today:

Club statement on racist abuse

Newcastle United strongly condemns racist abuse sent to Bruno Guimarães and Joe Willock via social media following Saturday's victory over Arsenal.

Our message is clear. There is no room for racism in football or society.

We are providing support to Bruno and Joe and will work with relevant authorities and social media platforms to identify those responsible so that they can be held to account.

77421955-12712395-Some_believe_that_Bruno_Guimaraes_should_have_been_sent_off_for_-a-6_1699186125533.jpg
77421953-12712395-Joe_Willock_kept_the_ball_in_play_during_the_decisive_goal_again-m-5_1699186121968.jpg

The charity Kick It Out wrote:

"We send our support to Newcastle’s Joe Willock and Bruno Guimaraes after they became the latest players to be targeted with disgusting racial abuse on social media.

"Sadly, this has been an almost weekly occurrence this season, and the costs on players’ mental health are huge.

Jamie Arnold has now been convicted of a hate crime after making racist gestures toward former Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand. Jamie Arnold was found guilty by a jury at Wolverhampton Crown Court of a racially aggravated public order offence during the Premier League match between Wolverhampton Wanderers FC and Manchester United FC in May 2021. Jamie Arnold had denied the offence, but throughout the match, which was broadcast on national television, he made derogatory remarks and hand gestures at Mr Ferdinand, who was working as a pundit for BT Sport.

Jamie Arnold was caught making the racist gestures on the stadium’s CCTV cameras, while several witnesses sat in the stands that day also confirmed the events took place. Jamie Arnold was arrested at the scene by officers with West Midlands Police, and answered no comment when asked about his actions during police interview and formally denied the charge at court. Mr Ferdinand said a group of supporters appeared to be more interested in him than the game, and when he was later informed of Jamie Arnold's actions he was left feeling alarmed and physically sick.

Alistair Redford, Senior Crown Prosecutor for the West Midlands Crown Prosecution Service said:

“I would like to thank the stewards whose quick-thinking actions ensured they could identify and remove Arnold from the stadium that day, and for Mr Ferdinand and witnesses who came forward to help us build as strong a case as possible."

Rio Ferdinand: Wolves fan Jamie Arnold found guilty of racially abusing former Manchester United defender

77279763-12698583-image-m-32_1698857120103.jpg

77279151-12698583-image-m-34_1698857137881.jpg

Jamie Arnold was previously banned from fooball games for three years after being found guilty of homophobic abuse and making gestures which mimicked disability during the same game. He was also ordered to pay almost £900 in fines and court costs.

Jamie Arnold will now appear before Wolverhampton Crown Court on 8 December 2023 to be sentenced for racially abusing Rio Ferdinand.
What a piece of shit.

Robert Garland, of St Lawrence Way in Coulsdon, has been fined and banned from attending games for three years after he made racist gestures to Tottenham Hotspur FC footballer, Son Heung-min when the footballer was substituted in the closing stages of a Premier League match against Crystal Palace FC at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on 6 May 2023.

Robert Garland pleaded guilty to racially aggravated harassment at Highbury Magistrates’ Court on 25 August 2023. He was given a £1,384 fine and ordered to carry out 60 hours of unpaid work, as well as £85 costs. At that hearing, Robert Garland told Highbury Magistrates’ that he had signed up for the anti-racism football charity Kick It Out and said he would never commit and offence like this again. They therefore decided not to impose a football banning order.

However, on 6 November 2023, prosecutors successfully appealed to add a Football Banning Order to Robert Garland's sentence. The ban means that Robert Garland will not be able to go to any regulated match for three years and will need to surrender his passport during international fixtures.

70686801-12721873-Police_want_to_identify_the_fan_who_was_in_the_away_end_at_the_T-a-2_1699383607089.jpg

Darren Livesey of Whalley New Road, Blackburn, has been found guilty of making racist monkey chants towards opposition players during a Championship match between Blackburn Rovers and AFC Bournemouth on Saturday 30 April 30 2022:

Man made monkey chants at Blackburn vs Bournemouth match

17441175.jpg

(Source: Blackburn Rovers FC)

Although witnesses heard Darren Livesey make monkey chants multiple times, he pleaded not guilty and told the court:

"I do not even know what what a monkey chant is. "I heard other abusive chants but I definitely did not do anything racist."

Darren Livesey was fined £454, and ordered to pay costs of £300 and a £34 victim surcharge. He was also banned from attending any football games for five years.

Former Cardiff City defender Jack Simpson, who previously played for Bournemouth and Rangers, has today issued a public apology and spoken of his hopes that his professional career is not over after being suspended by The Football Association ("FA") for racially abusing a former teammate, Rohan Luthra, who made history earlier this year when he became the first goalkeeper from Britain’s South Asian community to appear in the English Football League.

An FA independent Regulatory Commission imposed a six-match suspension, £8,000 fine and face-to-face education upon Jack Simpson for misconduct during Cardiff City’s pre-season tour to Portugal in July 2023, when he racially abused Rohan Luthra at breakfast, with teammates Rubin Colwill and Keiron Evans both present when the abuse occurred, and left shocked by what happened as they told Jack Simpson "you can't say that".

Rohan Luthra initially did not report the abuse but decided to do so a week or so later after an FA presentation at the club telling players of the need to report discrimination in the game. He reported what happened to Cardiff City officials, who then acted quickly to escalate the issue. Jack Simpson's contract at the club was terminated "by mutual consent" on 31 August 2023 and he remains a free agent:

The FA v Jack Simpson, Regulatory Commission Decision

77927949-12761755-image-a-22_1700223793764.jpg

‘I wish to apologise publicly and unreservedly for the racist remark I made to Rohan Luthra on July 23. I have done so in private and it is important now, after the publication of the Football Association commission decision into the matter, that I do so publicly to Rohan and all those who are rightly hurt by the nature of my comment.

‘I stand against racism in all forms and what was said on that day does not, I believe, reflect my beliefs or my character.

‘I hope this message conveys how strongly I feel about my mistake and how intend to own it, and emerge as a better person. I love the game and I hope to play it again professionally.’

What a piece of sh!t.

Her Honour Judge Rhona Lynn Campbell appears to agree:

"A Wolves football fan who racially abused Rio Ferdinand has been sentenced to six months in jail and banned from watching live games for seven years.

Wolves fan who racially abused Rio Ferdinand sentenced to six months in jail

West Midlands Police hate crime officer, PC Stuart Ward, has been publicly praised by Rio Ferdinand for his role in the investigation that led to the conviction.

77280271-12842837-Arnold_pictured_was_also_ordered_to_pay_almost_900_in_fines_and_-a-26_1702056723586.jpg

Her Honour Judge Rhona Lynn Campbell:

'You have brought shame on your city and shame to your team.

'Wolverhampton Wanderers do not want a racist on their terraces, they do not want you as a fan and this city does not tolerate racist behaviour in its midst.

'Your behaviour was more than puerile and offensive, it was deliberately targeted and deeply offensive, not just to Mr Ferdinand but to those around you.'

Back
Top Bottom