Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Keir Starmer's time is up

What LDs?

Surely that's an even smaller market share?
Floating Lab/LD voters may be small market share but I suspect that electorally they carry a decent bang for their buck (LDs took 18% of vote in 2017 so not negligible).

EDIT: I'm not saying that there is going to be some major gains, just that do not think it is especially unlikely that Labour could make gains. I predication would be that the results under Starmer are pretty similar to those under Corbyn, a bit of a mixed bag.

EDIT2: And the LP have eaten into the lead that the Tories had at the 2019 GE, how much of that is Starmer's doing is open to question but they have gain some vote share.

Last edited:
This is all well and good but turnout is going to be unpredictable to say the least and may well not be in Labour's favour

Interesting view here:

No Labour Leader winning, from Opposition, after about three years due to attritional issues such as press coverage. Interesting.

Eh what about Attlee and Wilson? That's two out of the four Labour PMs that have won from opposition.

It's just a Blair puff piece, twaddle

You can't be in opposition if you're part of the government
That said, maybe this accounts for Keef's tactics - Attlee won a landslide after being Deputy PM so if he acts like he's Deputy PM it should be a cinch

Floating Lab/LD voters may be small market share but I suspect that electorally they carry a decent bang for their buck (LDs took 18% of vote in 2017 so not negligible).

EDIT: I'm not saying that there is going to be some major gains, just that do not think it is especially unlikely that Labour could make gains. I predication would be that the results under Starmer are pretty similar to those under Corbyn, a bit of a mixed bag.

EDIT2: And the LP have eaten into the lead that the Tories had at the 2019 GE, how much of that is Starmer's doing is open to question but they have gain some vote share.
I do agree that there may be some mixed results. I had a look through various sets of locals/devolved parliaments/mayors from Corbyn and Miliband's eras and there wasn't always one story being told. Certainly you'd think London and any metro councils would still be pretty strong, Scotland still awful. The inbetween places may tell the tale.

I would be cautious about looking at GE vote share/national polling. Sometimes it's helpful, sometimes really not. I'm mindful of the dreadful locals in 2017 followed by the extraordinary GE a month later for example.

Kier attracts Liberal Democrat’s with his thrusting strategy.
Yes, we definitely need to see more of Rachel Reeves, she'll get me back on board

Suspect there may be signs of them losing LDs again, though more data needed. Certainly I saw a number of Remain obsessives getting exasperated with him the other week, which may instigate some leakage back

The Tories have managed to kill off 120,000 and this is the best Keith can do?

Is the long term strategy hoping that they kill off a few million boomers in the hope the youth are less reactionary?

Is the long term strategy hoping that they kill off a few million boomers in the hope the youth are less reactionary?
I think the strategy is to appear sensible types, electable. Then wait for the govt to fuck it up again and again. The end of furlough is going to happen for instance and it will be carnage.

I am not convinced though the LP are in a position to really benefit.

Kier attracts Liberal Democrat’s with his thrusting strategy.

Angela Smith, Labour’s leader in the Lords,....that voters would begin to see a more passionate side to Starmer.

Which would be like cross between a dead fish pursing its lips and a clip from Brief Encounter

I think the strategy is to appear sensible types, electable. Then wait for the govt to fuck it up again and again. The end of furlough is going to happen for instance and it will be carnage.

I am not convinced though the LP are in a position to really benefit.
No mentions of the musician issue either

I'm not claiming that Labour under Starmer is going great guns but neither is it really bombing. Starmer is twat but the idea that the LP should be polling 10 points ahead is as unrealistic now as it was under Corbyn. There is a strongly partisan electoral situation and the geographic distribution of the Labour vote has been an issue for a significant period of time.

I'm not claiming that Labour under Starmer is going great guns but neither is it really bombing. Starmer is twat but the idea that the LP should be polling 10 points ahead is as unrealistic now as it was under Corbyn. There is a strongly partisan electoral situation and the geographic distribution of the Labour vote has been an issue for a significant period of time.

I agree with that. I also think, if Scotland is any sort of guide and I do accept things are somewhat different there with the SNP/Indy, that once Labour strongholds are lost getting them back is a major uphill struggle. Whilst Starmer is hopeless, I think the idea that he or anyone else could have turned it all around in 12 months misses how Labour has ended up in a hole that was a long time in digging

I agree with that. I also think, if Scotland is any sort of guide and I do accept things are somewhat different there with the SNP/Indy, that once Labour strongholds are lost getting them back is a major uphill struggle. Whilst Starmer is hopeless, I think the idea that he or anyone else could have turned it all around in 12 months misses how Labour has ended up in a hole that was a long time in digging
It'd be a damn sight easier to turn around if sir shit stirrer and his party had principles instead of triangulating on every issue

It'd be a damn sight easier to turn around if sir shit stirrer and his party had principles instead of triangulating on every issue

I don’t think there is any doubt about that. But the position Labour finds itself in has been decades in the making. The long years of trundling along with the neo-liberal orthodoxy, rotten Labour councils that have done nothing for ever, the retreat from communities and every day life, 12 years of Blairist triangulating etc etc

Eh what about Attlee and Wilson? That's two out of the four Labour PMs that have won from opposition.

It's just a Blair puff piece, twaddle
Wilson was only elected Labour leader in 1963 before going on to win the 64 election. So you're wrong about that as well.

Fair point, though I could be pedantic and say Labour didn't really 'win' in Feb '74 as they got fewer votes than the Tories and didn't win a majority of seats. But, yes, Wilson did lead the party back into government from opposition, so it is a counter-example.

I still think Jeremy Gilbert - who is no 'blairite' by the way - is making a reasonable point. There are significant attritional factors at work that make it very difficult for a Labour leader to succeed in opposition unless they're very new in office. Which is why the first year is so important, if you look at the impact of Wilson in 63/64 and Blair in 94/95. Starmer has effectively blown his first year on Covid temporising and factionalism (rather like Kinnock over the miners' strike and Militant in 84/85) and it will be very difficult for him to come back. I would take bets on Oct or Nov for the Labour Right to start plotting to remove him.

Back
Top Bottom