Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Keir Starmer's time is up

I wonder if Andy Burnham is thinking about making a leadership bid (again) once Sir K has gone? Stars might align for him
I think Andy Burnham realises he can do more good politically to help more people in his current post, than he ever could as leader of the opposition.

Starmer ain't going anywhere until 2025 (unless he does a John Smith), It's 15 years and 4 leaders (5 if you count Harman) since Labour won an election and the very reason he was picked was the belief that he could win one, until he proves he can't, his position is safe.

i dont think you have to be an mp to stand as leader
I'm not sure, I thought you did, but will wait for someone with more political expertise to confirm!

If that's the case, I'd be very happy indeed to see him win a safe seat in a bye-election and win the leadership in a challenge or under other circumstances. I think he could do a far better job of uniting the LP, winning back voters in the north and midlands and looking like a potential PM than the current incumbent.

Wishful thinking, though.

You do need to be an MP to be leader of the Labour Party
You don’t, technically. The rules (part 4) say MP’s are the only ones to nominate, but there is no restriction on who they can nominate. In practise they’ll never nominate someone who isn’t an MP but they are quite entitled to.

it came up on the What If Bojo lost his seat in the election - it didnt matter basically , in the Tory rulebook at least

In a truly amazing surprise Starmer walks back from the Labour's 2015-2019 economic policies at the CBI.
I’m under no illusion about the work we have to do if we’re to win back your trust. We have bridges to build. And today I want to set out the new partnership I want to build between British business and the Labour party.

In a truly amazing surprise Starmer walks back from the Labour's 2015-2019 economic policies at the CBI.
yeah the line " I’m under no illusion about the work we have to do if we’re to win back your trust. " is a real wind up....Corbynomics was widely support from major business bodies - in fact it was Tory austerity they kept saying was a fuck up.

Also every possible name they could give themselves is already taken by some faction of lunatic trots or other.
There's a Hungarian liberal party called Politics Can Be Different. Maybe it sounds better in the original Hungarian. But it does show that you don't have to call things by alphabet soup principles. E2A: though I see now that in Hung. it's still got a snappy acronym, LMP.

Ronnie Kasrils, Pallo Jordan & Ebrahim Ebrahim have started a South African petition to reinstate Corbyn. More great news for the human rights lawyer in his struggle against one of history's greatest monsters

Save time by counting the pledges he hasn't binned. It's currently somewhere between zero and minus zero.
Indeed. I will never tire of telling the Labour members he mugged off with this stuff that they were mugged off

Save time by counting the pledges he hasn't binned. It's currently somewhere between zero and minus zero.

Well at the risk of upsetting the Godless heathens on here, most of you felt that Corbyn didn't go far enough, but the GBP disagreed, and gave the worst PM I've ever seen (and it was a keenly fought contest) a majority of 80, and the biggest drubbing Labour has had in my lifetime.

I feel that the 'answer' lies between Corbyn and Johnson, Starmer perhaps?

Well at the risk of upsetting the Godless heathens on here, most of you felt that Corbyn didn't go far enough, but the GBP disagreed, and gave the worst PM I've ever seen (and it was a keenly fought contest) a majority of 80, and the biggest drubbing Labour has had in my lifetime.

Starmer wouldve lost against Johnson in 2019 - Brexit Had To Get Done

most of you felt that Corbyn didn't go far enough,
I think Corbyn went too far and was too accommodating. Doing deals with the CBI and threatening tens of thousands of extra police.

Giving in to remain lost the election though, as ska and jtg said.
the biggest drubbing Labour has had in my lifetime.
1983 & 1987 were worse electoral defeats for Labour.
None of the above

Depends on the question. If it was, 'who is a man I wouldn't trust further than I could spit a rat?' then Keir Starmer would be an entirely valid answer.

Sturmer must be taking a lead from the US Democrats. I had an email from him via the union urging me to request a postal vote for the elections in May.

Back
Top Bottom