Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Katie Hopkins

She's definitely an odd one - some funny wiring going on in there.

She appears to lack bits of both cognitive and affective empathy (autistics generally lack the former and psychopaths the latter).
Made me think of a kid absorbed in the business of pulling wings off flies.

presumably, were the operation to end badly, whomever writes the most offensive tweet about it will be awarded her Sun column

I'm sure I could manage something if I sat down and thought about it for a really, really long time. If that would help at all.

Thing is, it's easy for someone who has a genuine health issue (and we have no reason to doublt that Katie Hopkins' epilepsy is a genuine health issue) to blame everything they do on it. Sometimes, it might even be true...but that does not excuse it.

Unless the health issue is manifesting as a compulsion to get her vitriol published in the mainstream media and be prepared to be interviewed at every turn in order to vent that vitriol further, she has some agency. Let's face it, if she's got the mental capacity to recognise the possible impact on her of brain surgery, I cannot see how she can lack the capacity to recognise the harm her words do.

I don't know if she is actually using her epilepsy as an excuse for what she writes, but if she is, then she goes down even further in my estimation.

In the meantime, I don't think there is anything wrong with having views on that writing, no matter what other trials she might be enduring. Some people, after all, go through the most terrible things and it doesn't make them into hate-filled monsters. To some extent, there is some choice being exercised, and if she chooses to write that stuff and get it published, then she deserves to be held to account for that choice.

It doesn't mean nobody would wish her well in her surgery.

Thing is, it's easy for someone who has a genuine health issue (and we have no reason to doublt that Katie Hopkins' epilepsy is a genuine health issue) to blame everything they do on it. Sometimes, it might even be true...but that does not excuse it.

Unless the health issue is manifesting as a compulsion to get her vitriol published in the mainstream media and be prepared to be interviewed at every turn in order to vent that vitriol further, she has some agency. Let's face it, if she's got the mental capacity to recognise the possible impact on her of brain surgery, I cannot see how she can lack the capacity to recognise the harm her words do.

I don't know if she is actually using her epilepsy as an excuse for what she writes, but if she is, then she goes down even further in my estimation.

In the meantime, I don't think there is anything wrong with having views on that writing, no matter what other trials she might be enduring. Some people, after all, go through the most terrible things and it doesn't make them into hate-filled monsters. To some extent, there is some choice being exercised, and if she chooses to write that stuff and get it published, then she deserves to be held to account for that choice.

It doesn't mean nobody would wish her well in her surgery.
i don't think anybody thinks her opinions are in anyway related to epilepsy. Its the little Bill Grundy she has in her head, constantly urging her to say something outrageous, that propels her 'career' forward to the inevitable train crash.

i don't think anybody thinks her opinions are in anyway related to epilepsy. Its the little Bill Grundy she has in her head, constantly urging her to say something outrageous, that propels her 'career' forward to the inevitable train crash.
I agree. But some people may feel that, because she's talking about her epilepsy, it's somehow awkward or unfair to hold her to account for her views. It isn't.

I don't follow her "writings" particularly closely, but I do get a bit of a sense that she uses the epilepsy as a way of excusing herself from the consequences of writing such nasty stuff - if I'm wrong, I'm glad to be corrected.

I agree. But some people may feel that, because she's talking about her epilepsy, it's somehow awkward or unfair to hold her to account for her views. It isn't.

I don't follow her "writings" particularly closely, but I do get a bit of a sense that she uses the epilepsy as a way of excusing herself from the consequences of writing such nasty stuff - if I'm wrong, I'm glad to be corrected.
I don't read her shit but according to that Ronson article about her, she hasn't really talked about it until now, or her daughter's ASD diagnosis.
What struck me the most in that article is how normal and even nice her husband seems to be. He works for a donkey sanctuary according to Hopkins. Even if she's nothing like her media persona, I'm not sure I could separate the two if I was married to her.

It's all very odd.

I don't read her shit but according to that Ronson article about her, she hasn't really talked about it until now, or her daughter's ASD diagnosis.
What struck me the most in that article is how normal and even nice her husband seems to be. He works for a donkey sanctuary according to Hopkins. Even if she's nothing like her media persona, I'm not sure I could separate the two if I was married to her.

It's all very odd.

Yes, and as I recall she asked for her husband to be left alone by the media, in exactly the same way she doesn't leave other people she abuses alone.

I'm disabled so if I can make a successful "career" why are you on benefits you waster is her stick?

Theres a limited number of slots for writing offensive crap or we'd all be doing it.

I don't know what Katie Hopkins gets up to because I don't read that newspaper and don't follow her tweets. If everyone was like me she would be starved of the oxygen of readers and like most things starved that way would wither and die. I recommend everyone take this action, completely avoid getting outraged by her utterings and live in an ex Hopkins world. You know it makes sense!

Until 5t3lla posted that tweet of Mr trumps, I would have guessed she was in the nation's favourite rag, maybe even displaying her assets :eek:
Does that mean she and trumpy are getting together :D

Until 5t3lla posted that tweet of Mr trumps, I would have guessed she was in the nation's favourite rag, maybe even displaying her assets :eek:
Does that mean she and trumpy are getting together :D
#

Given what the Daily Show had on last night, i rather suspect Trump will want to shag his daughter first. Maybe they can go twos up?

I think she's a comedian (though still a twat). I don't actually think she believes anything she says tbh.

That's sort of part of the schtick of 4chan 'white supremacists' and even Donald Trump, people are saying that they are going for the comedy but they are nodding along because the punchline is about people who they hate. The end result is the same whether it is comedy or not.

Back
Top Bottom