Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Just Stop Oil

stopping new oil fields has been adopted as labour party policy, a fact which the tories and their allies are trying to turn to their advantage by saying labour is under the thumb of eco zealots, so it looks like they have successfully won over the next government.

Given Keir's record I don't think that's a promise that can be trusted

But that was the point of my previous post. The whole world and their dog are already aware of the issue JSO are trying to publicise. So what’s the bloody point of screaming something to the four winds everyone already knew? Their actions are not going to turn those people who are already aware of the climate situation but don’t seem to care.

They’re revealing nothing new. So they should either try to disrupt large businesses and anything that causes economic harm to the government to try to force their hand, or to entice as many ordinary people who haven’t yet bothered to actively protest to join them. Constantly repeating a message everyone is aware about already is utterly pointless at this point. And pissing off folk is not going to win them any additional support.
I think you're only partly right with this. Yes, the general public are aware of climate change. But they absolutely are not aware of the consequences, the speed of change that is required, the nature of that change, the most significant sources of emissions, etc etc. If they were - and if most politicians and journalists were - we'd see a very different political debate. You only have to read this thread to see people arguing against JSO and clearly out of their depth when it comes to the topic.

Last week I did a presentation to a group of councillors. The level of comprehension was utterly, utterly shocking.

Given Keir's record I don't think that's a promise that can be trusted

From The Times

F0ksQePXwAAjz6E

To be honest this topic has really been affecting my mental health of late, because my work is tied up with it, and it can get all consuming. But it's not the predictions of doom and collapse that get me, it's precisely that sort of comment from politicians. Macho posturing and point scoring and complete lack of leadership or understanding of the science - of which climate change is just one facet, given the other environmental crises. It makes you feel like doing just what JSO are doing. Some kind of spectacular gesture to get people to wake the fuck up.

Of course I don't, cos I am ultimately pretty cowardly, but I completely understand the motivation.

BBC radio show on five live “the sports desk” (I picked it up as a podcast) describing sport as being in crisis due to the protestors. Seems to be usual balanced coverage from the BBC
Good.

Sport, like the rest of everyday life is in crisis due to climate collapse.

"Ultima Generazione", who are basically the Italian equivalent of JSO, did an action blocking traffic on the Turin ring road this morning. About 10 people involved, lasted for around 20 minutes before police showed up and moved them. Seems like a fairly tame action tbh. I was hoping for something a bit more spectacular.

Reactions: pug
Cross-posted from the UK climate news thread to get as much exposure as possible. Please consider using the write to your MP link from War on Want in the last tweet of the thread.

Short thread from War on Want with a write to your MP link in the last tweet. i did not know about this 'treaty' which appears to be little more that a vehicle for the fossil fuel industry to protect it's interests in secretive courts:

Cross-posted from the UK climate news thread to get as much exposure as possible. Please consider using the write to your MP link from War on Want in the last tweet of the thread.

Short thread from War on Want with a write to your MP link in the last tweet. i did not know about this 'treaty' which appears to be little more that a vehicle for the fossil fuel industry to protect it's interests in secretive courts:

My mp is Diane Abbott so I imagine she'll vote against this abomination

1689152798410.png

lol. Also the most cop thing I can think of is to see someone wearing a bright orange JSO shirt and decide "ah this guy's getting ready to try and sneak past multiple layers of security to disrupt a sporting event, we should divert all our attention to deal with him."

Last edited:
View attachment 382905

lol. Also the most cop thing I can think of is to see someone wearing a bright orange JSO shirt and decide "ah this guy's getting ready to try and sneak past multiple layers of security to disrupt a sporting event, we should divert all our attention to deal with him."
I’m reminded of when I went to the US and the form literally asked if I was planning on blowing up the plane. I wonder how many people are caught in that net.

If climate change is a thing, it really is much more important than a tennis match, a grand Prix, a snooker match.
ARe their actions justified and are they just pissing people off. Should they be trying to highlight the issues in less disruptive ways?
If it's a thing?!?!?!?

But,yes, more important than any of those things.

Yes, their actions are justified.

They should be more disruptive tbqh.

Hope that helps.

It was urgent a long time ago and they still haven't changed course because of political inertia wedded to financial vested interests in maintaining the present course. So 'cracking down' on the protesters is akin to sticking their fingers in their ears. They are full of shit and consider themselves as the grown-ups and the elite. Fuckers.

Back
Top Bottom