Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

JUNIOR SHELFIE CHALLENGE: SHOW US YER LADYBIRDS

All the books I had as a kid would have either been given to younger kids in the street after I left home or binned, do no photos I'm afraid.

So.

IMG_6343.jpeg

Which is my Ladybird books - sadly most I have brought as an adult second hand as my communist mother used to give away most of my stuff as a kid. Probably why I am a bit of a hoarder.

IMG_6339.jpeg

My Ladybird Experts, which are actually both good and fun.

IMG_6340.jpeg

And my parodies. Most of which were presents…

IMG_6342.jpeg

Not forgetting

IMG_6344.jpeg

I remember enjoying 'How it Works The Television'
It had a picture of some Daleks in it when demonstration a bit of static interference.
That was all I cared about.

We have one of first words I brought back from a trip home and staying at mums, proper old school pram and telly. Son reads it fairly often, his English isn't that great.

20240826_180633.jpg
24-spot book
20240826_180834.jpg
Majerus textbook
20240826_181519.jpg
Ladybird field guide 2nd edition
20240826_182001.jpg
Latest edition signed by Helen Roy, Peter Brown and Richard Lewington (next to Peter Taaffe's book on left unity for some reason).
20240826_182200.jpg
Front cover showing signatures and a large 7-spot just in case you have any doubt what the book is about.

When me and my bro were still little kids, our father often spent much of the week travelling around the country [inspecting sub-contracts for a firm that built mechanical handling plant].
I already was reading almost anything put in front of me, but little bro was less enthusiastic.
So, in an attempt to bolster his skills, Dad would bring him the next one - or two - in the learn to read series.
To reduce the sibling rivalry, I got something like the birds of the seashore, or a how it works.
Eventually, as bro's reading improved, we were both getting the more informative ones [although I sometimes got an "Armada" paperback instead]

They are currently on the top shelf in the library / dining room at my brother's house [which was Dad's] from memory, I would say there's something like 8 or 9 feet of them !

Before Dad died, I had given him a few of the modern "piss-take" ones, mostly to make him laugh !

Most of mine came from the carousel in our village's Post Office/wool shop, with a few hand-me-downs from families whose kids had ‘outgrown’ them (the fools!), or from WH Smith's in the big town nearby.

I bought a couple as present for my Dad, I seem to remember: The Giants Of Universal Park, because he liked science fiction, and possibly The Hound Of The Baskervilles too.

The art was always excellent - Eagle alums like Frank Hampson, Martin Aitchison, Frank Humphris and Robert Ayton really captured my imagination.

Back
Top Bottom