Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Squid Game: The Challenge

Ah! I had wondered about that specific thing.

I guess that one of my disappointments with it as a game show is that almost all the final rounds just boiled down to a random selection. That’s no doubt because in the original series, the later games became mostly about literally stabbing somebody else in the back, or otherwise trying to literally save one’s own life any way possible. Clearly, it’s not possible to reproduce that type of desperate willingness to do anything just to survive and they obviously can’t have people physically attacking each other. So instead, it was just hitting a random button or playing rock paper scissors. Which was dull.

Yes, the finale was straightforwardly tedious. And the maths of the penultimate challenge really was pretty simple.

I wonder if the whole show would work better if losers faced a harsh financial sanction instead of a neutral outcome?

Yes, the finale was straightforwardly tedious.

I wonder if the whole show would work better if losers faced a harsh financial sanction instead of a neutral outcome?
Whatever they face, they still would not be literally stabbing people. And that was kind of the point of Squid Game — the horrible things that desperate people are capable of when pushed to survive.

I too was wondering why no one did deals or made promises to share the loot but apparently they couldn’t do that

Whelan also said she can't give away any of her winnings to fellow contestants as they all signed contracts forbidding that.

I perservered with it. Watched most of it on 1.5 speed (went back to normal speed to hear the chatter in the dorm) and skipped through the very stretched out tension bits of swelling music and back and forth editing between the faces. Definitely won’t be bothering with future series. The only bits that kept my interest were the human interaction bits. Like others said, the fact that so many of the games were down to stats and chance…. meh.

Mai is planning to buy a granny farm with her money. And some charitable donations, of course. (Tax breaks, looks good on paper etc)

That means Whelan should soon have her hands on the jackpot, which she told The Times she plans to spend on a retirement home. She said that she also wants to make donations to the underprivileged, wildlife, and climate change charities.

Both quotes from here

Back
Top Bottom