Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jeremy Corbyn's time is up

I'm not saying I'm an intellectual or have my finger on the pulse but I'm guessing either 40% of the boards members have me on ignore, or they think the question is some kind of trap that they are keeping an eye on.

For me, no, Corbyn's politics are shit for a start. And he'd been an MP for 30 years I think and didn't see the reality. Fucking cult around the man. Awful leader. People pining and reminiscing over a man that delivered us Truss.
Why are his politics shit?

Indeed. It’s not libellous and Corbyn could never prove it such.

I stand by what I said.
Oh, really? Then explain why Corbyn has begun legal action against Farage for more or less the same thing.

You, like the rest of those who accuse Corbyn of antisemitism, are unable to summon up any evidence for your claims.

You quoted before I downgraded the adjective to perturbing, but that’s my lookout.

I don’t think that posters are obliged to reply to everyone who is piling on. Especially not when the demands for clarification are very hostile, or coming from people who have been personally abusive to the poster elsewhere.

And I don’t think that statements of opinion which don’t breach the FAQs, and are not reasonably likely to be actionable, should be deleted because a bunch of people who disagree report the post.

Unless Kid_Eternity chose to delete the post himself and asked a mod to remove quotes, of course.
BIB - They're not. But when they've been asked - in a reasonable manner - pertinent questions about the issues they constantly bring up, from someone to whom those issues may be quite close to home, it seems disingenuous to pointedly ignore them, repeatedly, in between responding to others.

BIB - They're not. But when they've been asked - in a reasonable manner - pertinent questions about the issues they constantly bring up, from someone to whom those issues may be quite close to home, it seems disingenuous to pointedly ignore them, repeatedly, in between responding to others.
Yeah, when you get past how people interact on Urban, whether I should have reported it, any of that, there's an accusation of antisemitism against Corbyn. That in itself needs backing up.

Yeah, when you get past how people interact on Urban, whether I should have reported it, any of that, there's an accusation of antisemitism against Corbyn. That in itself needs backing up.
I didn't see the now deleted post but I have seen what you and others have said it was.

In response to Silas (bit I put in bold), and in light of what people are saying KE's earlier accusation was, I was thinking specifically about this and KE's refusal to respond, yet still continuing with their weaponisation of antisemitism.

Oh, really? Then explain why Corbyn has begun legal action against Farage for more or less the same thing.
I hope he takes 'Nigel' to the cleaners.

Professor Geoffrey Alderman, a self-described 'proud Zionist' concluded in a May 2019 Spectator (!) article, "the grounds for labelling him [Corbyn] an anti-Semite simply do not exist"

I won't link to it as it's the Spectator, but here's a couple of paras:

"The fact of the matter is that Corbyn has an impressive record of supporting Jewish communal initiatives. For instance he was recently supportive of Jewish efforts to facilitate the speedy issue of death certificates by the north London coroner. In 2015 he took part in a ceremony in his Islington constituency to commemorate the founding of the North London Synagogue. In 2010 he put his name to an Early Day Motion (tabled by Diane Abbott) calling on the UK government to facilitate the settlement of Yemeni Jews in Britain. Indeed I could fill this entire article with a list of philo-Semitic EDMs that Corbyn has signed since he was first elected as Labour MP for Islington North in 1983.

In 1987 the West London Synagogue approached Islington Council with a startling proposal: to sell its original cemetery to property developers, destroying the gravestones and digging-up and reburying the bodies lying under them. This cemetery (dating from 1840) was not merely of great historic and architectural interest – in the view of orthodox Jews, the deliberate destruction of a cemetery is sacrilegious. So when Islington Council granted the planning application, a Jewish-led and ultimately successful campaign was launched to have the decision reversed. I was part of that campaign. So was Jeremy Corbyn. Meanwhile, the then-leader of Islington Council (1982-92), whose decision to permit the destruction of the cemetery was eventually overturned, was none other than Margaret Hodge (though it is unclear whether she personally was in favour of the proposal)."

Tell me about this "inability to recognise antisemitism". I'll wait.
I can't be arsed to go digging but there have been a few instances discussed on here over the years.

He does seem to have a blindspot when it comes to seeing antisemitism, but he doesn't seem to dig his heels in and defend it once it is raised, which is I think the more important thing.

This is most famous case I think.

Not a great look for him, but would have been so much worse if he had stuck by his original comment.

Also that is a shit article, just the first I found.

I can't be arsed to go digging but there have been a few instances discussed on here over the years.

He does seem to have a blindspot when it comes to seeing antisemitism, but he doesn't seem to dig his heels in and defend it once it is raised, which is I think the more important thing.

Not a great look for him, but would have been so much worse if he had stuck by his original comment.

My take on the mural is that in making the comment he did, Corbyn is either grossly antisemitic or, as he argued, he didn't look at the content of the image. Given the rest of his career and involvement in wider campaigns against antisemitism, I'd be prepared to go with the 'didn't look properly' explanation.

Not true if you read that excerpt from the Antisemitism Report I quoted, and also if you read the "50 times Corbyn stood with Jewish people" I've also quoted a couple of times.

When I first saw it I just saw six old men sat round a table playing monopoly with the symbol found on the American dollar in the background. It's not immediately obvious they are Jewish and I didn't clock that they were (and apparently not all of them are Jewish).

When he was alerted to what it represented, he apologized. Are you saying he was lying when he said he didn't look more closely at it first time?

The mural did really smack of those Illuminati tropes which are attenuated antisemitism and you would have hoped he'd take a proper look before sticking up for it. That sort of blindness does seem to be the extent of the problem with Corbyn though, the rest did look entirely got up.

wtf makes them in the mural 'jewish'? Is it just the big noses or was there more to it?

ffs this was always a stupid and probably racist argument
IIIRC there were allegations that the creator, 'mear one', was actually antisemtic.

Whether that was a the deliberate intention behind the mural, I don't know. But the argument is that it includes racist tropes: jews running the banking system/jews running the world/global elites/big noses all that good stuff.

The mural did really smack of those Illuminati tropes which are attenuated antisemitism and you would have hoped he'd take a proper look before sticking up for it. That sort of blindness does seem to be the extent of the problem with Corbyn though, the rest did look entirely got up.
it took everyone else at least five years to notice it as well, so it wasn't just Corbyn

I didn't see the now deleted post but I have seen what you and others have said it was.

In response to Silas (bit I put in bold), and in light of what people are saying KE's earlier accusation was, I was thinking specifically about this and KE's refusal to respond, yet still continuing with their weaponisation of antisemitism.

That’s quite a breadcrumb trail of links, but I assume you’re talking about the question Hitmouse asked Kid Eternity on the Keir Starmer thread. I can just about see why Hitmouse thinks it’s a fair question. I can also see why someone demanded to state their heritage as part of an argument on an anonymous message board might well not want to answer it.

If we’re going to address the question of whether belonging to a minority confers rights over other posters when racism against that minority is discussed, maybe we should do so on a more neutral thread.

IIIRC there were allegations that the creator, 'mear one', was actually antisemtic.

Whether that was a the deliberate intention behind the mural, I don't know. But the argument is that it includes racist tropes: jews running the banking system/jews running the world/global elites/big noses all that good stuff.

I know the tropes but what makes the figures in this mural 'jewish'? It seems to me the people saying they must be Jewish are the ones bringing the racism. All I'm seeing or ever saw is a bunch of old men. No stars of David, no rabbis, no Hebrew lettering, nothing to say These Are Jews except "lol big noses and glasses". Which is actually even more fucked up from a bunch of supposed woke lefties than if the mural really were a dog-whistle.

More of the antisemitism which doesn't exist on the Left :(

I know the tropes but what makes the figures in this mural 'jewish'? It seems to me the people saying they must be Jewish are the ones bringing the racism. All I'm seeing or ever saw is a bunch of old men. No stars of David, no rabbis, no Hebrew lettering, nothing to say These Are Jews except "lol big noses and glasses". Which is actually even more fucked up from a bunch of supposed woke lefties than if the mural really were a dog-whistle.

there's a bushy beard or two as well

That's it then. Only jews have (((beards))) as any fule kno

Anyway corbyn is wrong & evil, perhaps the most wrong and evil of all MPs, so it all worked out in the end. Victory is imminent!
he's only the most wrong and evil of all mps if you ignore the people on the government benches the past 14 years and the great majority of all the other mps. indeed, about 640 out of the 650 sitting mps

It really is the giant fucking illuminati symbol in the background that does it for me.

I know. I'm generally of the view that, in cases like this, I look to the motives and beliefs of the artist. If those are antisemitic, then it's safe to say the mural is. If not, then the mural at worst has dodgy iconography, but not racist in intent. I'm happy to be corrected.

Not true if you read that excerpt from the Antisemitism Report I quoted, and also if you read the "50 times Corbyn stood with Jewish people" I've also quoted a couple of times.

When I first saw it I just saw six old men sat round a table playing monopoly with the symbol found on the American dollar in the background. It's not immediately obvious they are Jewish and I didn't clock that they were (and apparently not all of them are Jewish).

When he was alerted to what it represented, he apologized. Are you saying he was lying when he said he didn't look more closely at it first time?
Maybe try reading the post you quoted.

Maybe try reading the post you quoted.
Ah ok apologies I read:
as him not digging his heels in to defend people when they're subjected to antisemitism.

I mean, that symbol has become one held up and used by the conspiraloons, based on a rather crude reading of its origins. But for many it's still just a load of hippy tosh. Corbyn should have been sharper, but, as I said, no one else pointed it out at the time, so to single him out is a tad hypocritical.

Back
Top Bottom