Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Japan - not the usual places!

mwgdrwg

Be a Pisces. Jam.
Hey,

I'm planning a trip to Japan this autumn, and I want to go to places slightly more off the beaten track. I've visited Tokyo and Kyoto a couple of times now, and amazing as they are, I want to visit other places. I've also been to Osaka once (and am having an urge to go back there).

The initial plan is to head north, though I fear it will be too cold and snowy to visit Hokkaido at this time of year, so maybe Sendai, even Fukushima. I want to stay in smaller towns and places I've never even heard of! Travelling south towards Hiroshima is also an option, as I've never been there.

Any ideas and recommendations would be appreciated.

Great, thanks krtek a houby

I probably will end up in Tokyo as I will probably want to go there for a couple of days to start.

In that case, I recommend a night in Tateishi, in the east of the city. It's proper friendly and the little food bars/stand up bars are excellent. Parts of it are going to be redeveloped, so it's worth seeing before they mess it up.

In that case, I recommend a night in Tateishi, in the east of the city. It's proper friendly and the little food bars/stand up bars are excellent. Parts of it are going to be redeveloped, so it's worth seeing before they mess it up.

Reading about that place and it's reminding me of the area near the Tsutenkaku in Osaka. When I went there I was surprised, as I'd only been to the nicer bits. Ended up in some local greasy spoon eating pork skin and green beer! :D

Also, when I was in Osaka I stayed a while in Juso in a cheap airbnb. Definitly some shady areas and a bit dirty compared to other areas. I was a bit aprehensive for a while, but looking back it's what I enjoyed about it. Less stiff than my experience of Tokyo by some margin.

Reading about that place and it's reminding me of the area near the Tsutenkaku in Osaka. When I went there I was surprised, as I'd only been to the nicer bits. Ended up in some local greasy spoon eating pork skin and green beer! :D

Yeah, it's mostly under tourist radar, so you'll be getting the real local feel of it. Old school Tokyo.

I've only been out to Osaka the one time, I can't rememember too much about it. But most of the other cities are more relaxed, or tend to be, than Tokyo.

When I went to Osaka the first thing I noticed was that everyone on the tube dressed normally, making me feel less scruffy :D

I am always amazed how well people in Tokyo dress, even if it is business dress.

When I went to Osaka the first thing I noticed was that everyone on the tube dressed normally, making me feel less scruffy :D

I am always amazed how well people in Tokyo dress, even if it is business dress.

What I like is the various styles, esp of the younger Tokyoites. Nobody calls them out or points or laughs - at least, not that I've noticed.

Salarymen types, I tend to avoid, esp when they get loud. If you're into live music, there's the ocasional bands playing at What the Dickens, in Ebisu. And no suits!

Hey,

I'm planning a trip to Japan this autumn, and I want to go to places slightly more off the beaten track. I've visited Tokyo and Kyoto a couple of times now, and amazing as they are, I want to visit other places. I've also been to Osaka once (and am having an urge to go back there).

The initial plan is to head north, though I fear it will be too cold and snowy to visit Hokkaido at this time of year, so maybe Sendai, even Fukushima. I want to stay in smaller towns and places I've never even heard of! Travelling south towards Hiroshima is also an option, as I've never been there.

Any ideas and recommendations would be appreciated.

I hope you don’t mind me piggy backing your thread. - I’m off to Tokyo with the family including a 14 year old in July so would really appreciate some unusual off the tourist trail suggestions as well.

I hope you don’t mind me piggy backing your thread. - I’m off to Tokyo with the family including a 14 year old in July so would really appreciate some unusual off the tourist trail suggestions as well.

I've been a couple of times, and have been with a 9 and 15 year-old in tow, so I'm happy to help.

My advice would be to stick to the tourist trail! Why wouldn't you? It's amazing! Some of the places mentioned above sound fascinating to me, but I wouldn't take my kids there.

Also, book your Ghibli Museum tickets TODAY (if Ghibli is your thing), they sell out about 3 months in advance and you will not be able to get any if you leave it more than 3 months before you go.

We had one hell of an adventure when we went! :D

I've been a couple of times, and have been with a 9 and 15 year-old in tow, so I'm happy to help.

My advice would be to stick to the tourist trail! Why wouldn't you? It's amazing! Some of the places mentioned above sound fascinating to me, but I wouldn't take my kids there.

Also, book your Ghibli Museum tickets TODAY (if Ghibli is your thing), they sell out about 3 months in advance and you will not be able to get any if you leave it more than 3 months before you go.

We had one hell of an adventure when we went! :D

Thanks that sounds sensible I’d love any pearls of wisdom - how long did you stay - we’re going to be there for 6 nights in Shinjuku.
The date for booking our Ghibli was 1st April I registered with the website and logged on to check
how it all works the week before - on 30th the page changed telling us they were stopping selling tickets on their own on 1st April and you now had to buy as part of a package . The last option seems to be to pay up front to another agency who may be able to get tickets on 10/6 if not then they refund us .. so we’ve done that. Tickets seem like gold dust I hope it’s worth it??

The museum is small, but perfect and magical! You'll love it if you're fans of Ghibli.

We stayed in Shinjuku in an Airbnb for about 6 nights. 2 minutes from Shinjuku Gyuoen national garden, a really great location/hub.

Reactions: ash
ash

Everyone is different, but the things we LOVED about our Tokyo trip...

Yoyogi Park and Meiju Jingu (go early on a Sunday and you might see a wedding), and then a short walk to Harajuku and Takeshita Dori for the fashion and general madness!
Seeing Tokyo at night from the Metropolitan Governement Building viewing platform (free)
Pokemon center and Akihabara arcades (my boy loves gaming!)
Seeing Tokyo in the day from the Mori Tower sky deck, also great art gallery here
Shibuya crossing and Hachiko (has to be done, hasn't it)
Ramen from little ramen cafe's, sushi, pancakes, all the food! :D
Shibuya clothes shopping and Ginza's posh shops (my girl loves fashion)

and when I went without the kids...

Hamarikyu gardens and Tsuji fish market
Cocktails at the Park Hyatt (Lost in Translation) - dream come true for me on my 40th

Personal let-downs:

Senso-Ji - too many tourists and it felt like a tourist trap
Disney Sea World - just not worth it because of the wait to get on rides

ash

Everyone is different, but the things we LOVED about our Tokyo trip...

Yoyogi Park and Meiju Jingu (go early on a Sunday and you might see a wedding), and then a short walk to Harajuku and Takeshita Dori for the fashion and general madness!
Seeing Tokyo at night from the Metropolitan Governement Building viewing platform (free)
Pokemon center and Akihabara arcades (my boy loves gaming!)
Seeing Tokyo in the day from the Mori Tower sky deck, also great art gallery here
Shibuya crossing and Hachiko (has to be done, hasn't it)
Ramen from little ramen cafe's, sushi, pancakes, all the food! :D
Shibuya clothes shopping and Ginza's posh shops (my girl loves fashion)

and when I went without the kids...

Hamarikyu gardens and Tsuji fish market
Cocktails at the Park Hyatt (Lost in Translation) - dream come true for me on my 40th

Personal let-downs:

Senso-Ji - too many tourists and it felt like a tourist trap
Disney Sea World - just not worth it because of the wait to get on rides

Thanks mwgdrwg some great suggestions there. Akihabara is somewhere my daughter is really keen to go. It all sounds really exciting I can’t wait. She’s keen to go to some cat cafes as well and aparantly a hedgehog cafe exists there??

I’m vegetarian so that also might prove interesting.

Not exactly an 'unusual' place... but Nagasaki was interesting..

I've heard Airbnb is relatively cheap over there now..

Edit to add: I went to Hiroshima and Nagasaki - would recommend both - if you're interested in 'the bomb', then Nagasaki is far less touristy, and I found the experience (and museum) more brutal and direct.

Last edited:
I don't have much to add I'm afraid. I'm always just visiting family, friends, going to record shops and gigs. Had a great time in shimo-kitazawa last night at poor cow (bar), unexpectedly bumped into many Freinds for such a tiny place half way around the world, including people I knew from Germany. Surprised I made it home, the journey is a real pain in the arse. Trains all stop around 12:00 and often change sheduled routes when it's late. No night buses. Not easy after a few drinks. Conversely bars are open until 4am and there are plenty of 24 hour shops. Its going to be interesting when the Tokyo Olympics hit. Loads of gaijin stranded, wondering why they can't smoke in the streets.

Thanks mwgdrwg some great suggestions there. Akihabara is somewhere my daughter is really keen to go. It all sounds really exciting I can’t wait. She’s keen to go to some cat cafes as well and aparantly a hedgehog cafe exists there??

I’m vegetarian so that also might prove interesting.

Cat cafes are everywhere now, not just akihabara. Personally I find akihabara super boring, and it's a lot less weird than it was 10 years ago. Mostly a load of tax free shopping places. However it is easy for me to get to from here so quite a good meeting place for cheap izakaiyas.
Harjuku on a Sunday might be interesting for your daughter if she likes akihabara. Lots of cosplay strangeness.
Vegetarianism is not so easy, but the word is the same in Japanese so it's easy to ask. . . . Though what Japanese people consider vegetarian can vary quite a bit. I've been a bit pathetic and just given up for the duration of my stay.

Cat cafes are everywhere now, not just akihabara. Personally I find akihabara super boring, and it's a lot less weird than it was 10 years ago. Mostly a load of tax free shopping places. However it is easy for me to get to from here so quite a good meeting place for cheap izakaiyas.
Harjuku on a Sunday might be interesting for your daughter if she likes akihabara. Lots of cosplay strangeness.
Vegetarianism is not so easy, but the word is the same in Japanese so it's easy to ask. . . . Though what Japanese people consider vegetarian can vary quite a bit. I've been a bit pathetic and just given up for the duration of my stay.

Cheers will go to Harjuku as she’s into all that cosplay strangeness and we are there for a Sunday.
Fortunately I’ve started eating fish in the last few yeasts after 15 years of visiting a small village in Spain and existing on omelettes- although I’m sure some of the fish in Japan might be pushing it a bit for me !!

The museum is small, but perfect and magical! You'll love it if you're fans of Ghibli.

We stayed in Shinjuku in an Airbnb for about 6 nights. 2 minutes from Shinjuku Gyuoen national garden, a really great location/hub.

Only issue I had with Ghibli was the crowds. Long queues for hot dogs etc. Also, not sure if there's a vegetarian option. On the plus side, there's short animations showing in a little cinema there, we were lucky and got a Totoro spin-off! And they often have guest exhibits - it was Aardman for our visit.

There's a Snoopy Museum in Roppongi, which I liked a lot because of the original art and some stuff by Johnny Hart, Walt Kelly, Berkley Breathed as well.

Again, lots of people and not (IMHO) as family orientated as the Ghibli experience.

Reactions: ash
Only issue I had with Ghibli was the crowds. Long queues for hot dogs etc. Also, not sure if there's a vegetarian option. On the plus side, there's short animations showing in a little cinema there, we were lucky and got a Totoro spin-off! And they often have guest exhibits - it was Aardman for our visit.

There's a Snoopy Museum in Roppongi, which I liked a lot because of the original art and some stuff by Johnny Hart, Walt Kelly, Berkley Breathed as well.

Again, lots of people and not (IMHO) as family orientated as the Ghibli experience.

I saw the Totoro one too, I was in heaven! :)

I think they have 12 or so short films which they rotate.

Can't remember ques for hot-dogs, I must've eaten before going.I do remember growds around exhibits that you had to wait a while for, but nothing too bad at all.

Can't remember ques for hot-dogs, I must've eaten before going.I do remember growds around exhibits that you had to wait a while for, but nothing too bad at all.

I reckon we always chose the busiest times! Went to a Marvel exhibition in Roppongi last year, that was kind of cool and not too packed!

Roppongi is ok, having said that. Bit expensive, mind. The Tokyo Tower is nice and I think we're doing the Sky Tree Tower at some stage over the next few weeks...

I reckon we always chose the busiest times! Went to a Marvel exhibition in Roppongi last year, that was kind of cool and not too packed!

Roppongi is ok, having said that. Bit expensive, mind. The Tokyo Tower is nice and I think we're doing the Sky Tree Tower at some stage over the next few weeks...

How long have you lived in Japan? So jealous!

Cheers will go to Harjuku as she’s into all that cosplay strangeness and we are there for a Sunday.
Fortunately I’ve started eating fish in the last few yeasts after 15 years of visiting a small village in Spain and existing on omelettes- although I’m sure some of the fish in Japan might be pushing it a bit for me !!
I just stick to mackerel (Saba) and salmon (sake).
Fish flakes / powder and fishy things seem to be in everything that may at first appear vegetarian. If you don't mind fish everything will be fine.
Re harajuku, I think they all hang out around the meji jingu exit to the main harajuku drag.

Depending on when you are going and what your daughter likes there is usually some sort of anime festival/show/event/museum happening somewhere.
Shops like mandarake in shibuya will probably be of interest to your daughter. If you do go to akihabara for anime shops, just be careful, it's easy to unexpectedly walk into somewhere quite rude with loads of creepy guys around. Not great for teenage girls.
The maid cafes are all shit as well, my niece used to work in some so that's my excuse for going. Shite food, expensive and creepy as fuck.

That's where my wife is off to today. Some shonen jump thing I think, then off to the sky tree for dinner. If you don't eat anywhere beyond half way you don't have to pay the stupid fee for traveling to the top.
I'm not a fan of roppongi.

I've been three times and never got the mei and the koneko bus. Its the one everyone wants to see.
Ticket numbers for each day are limited and booked in advance, this is why it never seems too crowded. Go nice and early before lunch for a more relaxed visit.
Always eat before going, the food queues are daft.

I did a little video on my last trip, long time ago now though. My daughter is so young!!!

That's where my wife is off to today. Some shonen jump thing I think, then off to the sky tree for dinner. If you don't eat anywhere beyond half way you don't have to pay the stupid fee for traveling to the top.
I'm not a fan of roppongi.

There's better places, yeah. I guess I just like it for the exhibitions and Paddy Foley's, now sadly defunct.

Went for a walk today and went as far as akihabara (from shinkohiwa) . Sadly pretty boring, I think Tokyo is wasted on me. I remember how interesting it was the first time just going to the supermarket. The daughter is loving it though, and is as I type on a play date with a new friend she met at school. I wish I had a child's ability to learn a new language, shes got a totally native Tokyo accent and is fluent, even knows all the Kanji for a native girl of her age. I've only got the basics and maybe 50 Kanji under my belt.

Back
Top Bottom