Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Notable graves you've visited

Abney Park in Stoke Newington has loads of cool non-conformist graves but this is a favourite, for a guy who ran a circus.

bostock-tombstone-abney.jpg
It's a great cemetery!

We were planning a visit and tribute to Edith Jesse Thompson in the morning (she is in the City of London cemetary) , executed in 1923 for the "Ilford Murder" , where her lover (Freddie Bywaters) stabbed her husband in suburban Belgrave Road when returning from the theatre. A fascinating example of a wrongful case, as she was charged as an accomplice and what did for her was her copious love letter correspondance which the police and judiciary carefully sifted for "relevant" bits . A case well covered by Prof Rene Weiss and Laura Thompson. She was buried in Holloway Prison , then moved in the 1970's to Brookwood cemetary to an unmarked grave and Rene managed to get her exhumed and buried with her adored parents in late 2018. Well worth a Google. (there is an excellent website on her - just put in her name). There was huge outrage at her sentence , and there were very few women dealt so , with Ruth Ellis the last one. (edithjessiethompson.co.uk)

Anyway, she was remembered for many years in a service at her local church , St Bartholomews in Manor Park / East Ham at the time of her execution and on the anniversary, - having read both books and researched as much as I could, I set off last year which meant an 0620 departure and found a deserted church. It had been decided to do the "service" at the graveside , something I found thanks to the internet , (at about 0840) so I ran through the streets to find a taxi office, explained my mission and this gem of a cab driver got me there at 0855 having done the back doubles etc.

At the cemetary , I explained my goal to the really helpful attendants who knew about her (it had got a lot of media coverage when she was reburied) , so they pointed the area and I again sprinted off in the direction. Suddenly , I was overtaken by a battery truck which they had scrambled and I was urged in on top of shovels and so on , and delivered more or less on time to the graveside. What a bunch of heroes (and I did email the splendidly titled "Commissioner of the City of London Cemetary" to thank them. So we paid our respects with dignity and retired for tea and a late breakfast in Manor Park , where it was a pleasure to meet Rene Weiss and one of Edith's distant descendants - thanks to COVID we cannot do it this year. I will pay my respects when I can (again).

I have written a book about wonderful graves and those interred within but for some reason not been able to get it published- great excuse to visit some great graves though- Scottish kirkyards are particularly amazing.
Have you considered publishing it yourself?

Anyone who has seen "Brief Encounter" - will appreciate this. Celia Johnson - I can never keep a dry eye , I am not alone I gather.

View attachment 247796
Brilliant underrated actor and the main star in the best romantic film ever, also great in her other films. I think I’ll always be a bit in love with her. And yes, I’ve never once got through Brief Encounter with out crying - even if I do claim ‘I’ve just got something in my eye...’ see also her soliloquy in In Which We Serve.

Most notable ones I've been to were Pere Lachaise and Montparnasse, which I think are covered a fair bit already upthread, but here's a few that I don't think have been posted yet:
IMG_20171215_113753.jpg
(obligatory but didn't seem to have been posted already)
IMG_20171215_124546.jpg
IMG_20171215_130107.jpg

IMG_20171217_130808.jpg

IMG_20171217_150522.jpg

IMG_20171217_152342.jpg
(Jean Seberg in case it's not readable, really nice to see how well-tended it was)
IMG_20171217_154129.jpg
(Tristan Tzara, another one with so many flowers it's hard to read)

Also Montparnasse has I think either Baudelaire or Rimbaud who very obviously died penniless and had to be buried in a family grave, with a headstone saying something along the lines of "Here lies this worthy bourgeois member of the family who had various achievements and his wife, also his shitty brother-in-law who wrote some poems or something I guess". Or words to that effect.

Last edited:
Also Montparnasse has I think either Baudelaire or Rimbaud who very obviously died penniless and had to be buried in a family grave, with a headstone saying something along the lines of "Here lies this worthy bourgeois member of the family who had various achievements and his wife, also his shitty brother-in-law who wrote some poems or something I guess". Or words to that effect.

Here you go, he obviously didn't have as many achievements as his relatives!!

FB_IMG_1574262986310.jpg

I have written a book about wonderful graves and those interred within but for some reason not been able to get it published- great excuse to visit some great graves though- Scottish kirkyards are particularly amazing.

Have you looked at the possibility of making it into a blog? Pretty sure some people on here make some spare change from their blogs.

Back
Top Bottom