Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Notable graves you've visited

Found Samuel Coleridge Taylor's grave in Bandon Hill cemetery the other day:

1637597837676-jpeg.297804

1637597876290-jpeg.297806

Lyrics & notes from The Song of Hiawatha across the base of the gravestone:

1637598078116-jpeg.297807

and a rather wonderful pic of his burial in 1912 (aged 37) showing a delegation of his friends and colleagues from the South African Pan African movement paying respects with an African floral tribute . The outrage about his impoverished state at the time of his death led to the formation of the Performing Rights society:

1637598708312-png.297808

also posted in the pics from your state sanctioned walk thread in Covid.

Found Samuel Coleridge Taylor's grave in Bandon Hill cemetery the other day:

Lyrics & notes from The Song of Hiawatha across the base of the gravestone:

and a rather wonderful pic of his burial in 1912 (aged 37) showing a delegation of his friends and colleagues from the South African Pan African movement paying respects with an African floral tribute . The outrage about his impoverished state at the time of his death led to the formation of the Performing Rights society:

1637598708312-png.297808

also posted in the pics from your state sanctioned walk thread in Covid.
My first response to this was "huh, I never knew that the Ancient Mariner guy was so into pan-Africanism", I have now done a bit of looking things up and educated myself on that point.

Did Karl Marx’s on a rainy night on half a blotter of LSD once. Can’t believe we found it.

I ruined my clothes with anti-climb paint when climbing the cemetery fence to see that one...only to find out there was a convenient gap had I walked further. It's been probably something like 7 years and the thought that they charge an entrance fee still fills me with righteous indignation.

Back
Top Bottom